GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MerTop Racing / Scorpion Downpipe MK7 GTI ?!

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Guy guys,

Anyone ever heard of this Ebay downpipe?
Scorpion Downpipe w/ 200 cell cat for 2.0 TSI (scoll down the page to see pictures)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/MerTop-VW-Go...ash=item1a3044ba99:g:p1cAAOSwRvdZZjAY&vxp=mtr

Obviously this is a China knockoff. But the REV9 downpipe has been proven to be OK for what it is. In the end, a downpipe is a piece of metal.
IF
- the welds and quality isn't bad
- provides better flow
- resists to rust (T304)
Then I don't see the point of paying 600-700$ +

Downpipe experts for the MK7 GTI platform can chime some expertise ?

PS: YES I know CTS turbo DP is on sale. And it's local to Canada but it still comes out to 700$ CDN for a catted piece

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Exactly. I have been running a $160 Rev9 dp for over 9000 miles zero issues. Some people feel better spending 600 plus more for a name brand. Crazyness for sure. Lol.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Exactly. I have been running a $160 Rev9 dp for over 9000 miles zero issues. Some people feel better spending 600 plus more for a name brand. Crazyness for sure. Lol.

:yawn: Some people like to run a catalytic converter, well because it's illegal not to have one on a road car, and well environment and breathing and all that stuff that matters to fellow humans. Glad that going catless got you that 1 extra HP :rolleyes:

And, some people don't live off Ramen noodles, and have learned over time, most times you get what you pay for. If someone finds a bargain that works, awesome, but you are not comparing two of the same things. For all intents and purposes, a catless DP and catted DP are two different things.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
:yawn: Some people like to run a catalytic converter, well because it's illegal not to have one on a road car, and well environment and breathing and all that stuff that matters to fellow humans. Glad that going catless got you that 1 extra HP :rolleyes:

And, some people don't live off Ramen noodles, and have learned over time, most times you get what you pay for. If someone finds a bargain that works, awesome, but you are not comparing two of the same things. For all intents and purposes, a catless DP and catted DP are two different things.

Well said. On top of that, a catless downpipe will also give off fumes and your car and clothes will smell. The ladies love this! :rolleyes: Watch out though, you'll get called a tree-hugger, as I have, for having an opinion that is logical and mindful of others. I am more of a libertarian type, but this is just common sense. My son has asthma as do millions of others...it amazes me how selfish and thoughtless folks can be. They have heard of and seen smog before, right?:confused: I mean, it's not a theory like anthropogenic global warming where bureaucrats have been caught lying, falsifying data, and using half-baked science in order to pass draconian laws that only pad fat-cat's pockets and do nothing for the environment (carbon credits/trading etc.). Smog actually is a topic where the science is settled and air quality can be directly measured, and even seen with your our own eyes.

https://www.theguardian.com/weather...owed-by-smog-cloud-in-timelapse-footage-video

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-air-quality-heat-20170615-story.html

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Well said. On top of that, a catless downpipe will also give off fumes and your car and clothes will smell. The ladies love this! :rolleyes: Watch out though, you'll get called a tree-hugger, as I have, for having an opinion that is logical and mindful of others. I am more of a libertarian type, but this is just common sense. My son has asthma as do millions of others...it amazes me how selfish and thoughtless folks can be. They have heard of and seen smog before, right?:confused: I mean, it's not a theory like anthropogenic global warming where bureaucrats have been caught lying, falsifying data, and using half-baked science in order to pass draconian laws that only pad fat-cat's pockets and do nothing for the environment (carbon credits/trading etc.). Smog actually is a topic where the science is settled and air quality can be directly measured, and even seen with your our own eyes.

https://www.theguardian.com/weather...owed-by-smog-cloud-in-timelapse-footage-video

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-air-quality-heat-20170615-story.html
F*cking tree huggers. Smh... [emoji14]

Seriously though...agree 100%.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Guys, the point of this thread isn't catless vs catted. Just looking for someones expertise on the DP I mentioned.

Does it look legit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah sorry about that.

I've heard some clips of scorpion catbacks and they seem to sound pretty nice. No experience with their downpipe though. For that price, probably worth being the guinea pig. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
Actually, i previously had a B8 S4 and there are a ton of guys on the audizine forums buying the Mertop headers for the 3.0T (supercharged) motors. They cant make them fast enough and the S4 guys have no complaints about fitment.

However, this is a different part and someone might have to be the guinea pig to try it out.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Actually, i previously had a B8 S4 and there are a ton of guys on the audizine forums buying the Mertop headers for the 3.0T (supercharged) motors. They cant make them fast enough and the S4 guys have no complaints about fitment.

However, this is a different part and someone might have to be the guinea pig to try it out.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. Judging by the ebay reviews from the company (MerTop), a few BMW N54 platform owners seemed to have a recent positive experience with their products...

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Something to keep in mind when ordering catless downpipes. Some OTS tunes require a catted downpipe (like the cobb OTS). Can have some issues if you run a catless DP and a tune requiring a catted DP. Research before hand.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Fitment would be the biggest concern, and then having to ship it back to China and get my money back if it didn't work out. If the Audi/BMW crowd is using their products already, that would certainly make me feel more comfortable to give it a try. Let us know how it works out if you decide to go with it. Sucks that you don't have more local options without paying an arm to get it to your doorstep.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Something to keep in mind when ordering catless downpipes. Some OTS tunes require a catted downpipe (like the cobb OTS). Can have some issues if you run a catless DP and a tune requiring a catted DP. Research before hand.

The DP shown is catted (200 cell cat)

1 thing I like is the design. It's a 1 piece design so less chances of leaking (specially this being a China DP)

Last edited:

Tone1

Ready to race!
There was a thread on here a year or so back about a guy with a Scorpion DP in Britain and it literally fell apart into different sections at the welds while it was on his car. I don't think I'll ever understand experimenting with questionable parts for a couple hundred dollars in savings when you just paid 20-30k for a car.