GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG problems with 2017 R and much more !!!

Sebastian H

Bought a new 2017R in December last year . At around 800 miles the transmission started to act weird ( problems shifting into 2nd&3rd on a cold start ) . I park the car in an attached garage ( not heated ) with about 25 degrees warmer than outside . It runs fine if I let the car run for a minute . Unfortunately I don't have time for this. On top of that, one of the headlights is getting foggy. Took some pictures with it to show to dealer . When I drive over small imperfection in the road , the headlights are shaking . I was told this is normal , I doubt it . Also, driving on the highway , the open door warning came on at 70+ miles/h . When I went back to the dealership, they couldn't find anything wrong with the headlight , nothing wrong with the door I showed them pictures with the foggy headlight .And they put the blame on me with the DSG for not letting the car warm up . Btw , it still does the same thing now @ 70+ degrees. Now I have issues with the auto up/down driver side window . I love how this car drives but I'm getting tired of all the problems . It only has 2600 miles. Is anyone else experiencing this kind of problems ?

nate704

Go Kart Champion
First of all, you are on a wrong section of the forum.

Headlight shaking: Do you see it violently shaking when going over rough spots? Since the headlight is mounted on the car, it shakes with the vehicle. you will definitely notice when you drive a riced out Honda civic with cut up springs with 30 profile tires. =)

Headlight fogging: it is normal (somewhat) and that's why the headlight assembly has a breather in the back lower somewhere on the housing. If you see the water puddle inside of your headlight, that is more than usual and the dealer should replace it. Otherwise, it is "normal" especially the condensation disappears after 2-3 days.

DSG issues: Does it act weird when cold? Cold meaning before the oil temp reaches 200 degrees. I don't expect 100% smooth functions before engine reaches that point. it doesn't matter if its 30 degrees or 70 plus degrees out. Your engine and tranny needs to be warmed up to the temperature.

Door warning: it is very unusual and you can scan it with VCDS, and if there's no error, it could be just a software glitch that might or might not happen again.

Window Switch: it could be faulty switch module or it needs a reset.

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Are you letting your engine and trans warm up properly before driving? As in letting it idle for a minute or two after starting it? Or are you just starting it, putting it in gear and driving?

If you aren't letting it warm up properly, you're risking serious damage to your engine and trans.