GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox highs/mids sounds CRAP

Bakili

Ready to race!
Hi, many thanks for your reply (unfortunately I did not receive notification!).

I ended up buying one in the end, so if it is not too late, I am renting mine out in the UK.

Enjoy!
How much would you rent for in UK? I haven't booked car yet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

GE90

Passed Driver's Ed
How much would you rent for in UK? I haven't booked car yet.

As PM's, £30 including postage out to you, plus £30 deposit, which will be returned immediately upon safe receipt back. I need to ask that you cover return postage with adequate insurance.

GE90

Passed Driver's Ed
Morning all

After bakili borowing this and returning it promptly and safely, it is ready for anyone else in the UK who would like to use it.

Cheers

Bakili

Ready to race!
Morning all

After bakili borowing this and returning it promptly and safely, it is ready for anyone else in the UK who would like to use it.

Cheers
Highly recommend GE90 for Dongle hire in UK. Amazing how much difference programming makes.

AndyMal

My first impressions after I have installed soundbox were somehow mixed.
There was definitely improvement in the bass region and the scene more focused, but highs and mids were way too overcooked.
Highs were so elevated, piercing and almost unbearable to listen on some songs.
The whole system sounded like cheep boombox with elevated lows and highs.
Though were was no any kind of clipping, at least up to 70-80% volume.
So, I was pretty much dissapointed in general.
I was a bit sceptical about programming with a dongle as VW claims no coding is needed for golf, did not expect to it make significant changes.
But oh my..., it changed the system completely. I have really nice factory sound system in my other car, and helix is now pretty comparable.
Now I am excited about this upgrade, it is really worth it.
BTW, looks like my soundbox was preprogrammed for jetta, I've got code 35 on init. It was new, purchased from official VW dealer.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm considering compiling some information about the Helix system, to give people basic information about the system, it's potential short comings and benefits, and also to dispel the myth that these units come preprogrammed. They do not, and programming will benefit everyone.

I believe there is a consensus that the dongle will flash the LAST programmed code before it flashes "00" on initialization, but the misinformation that the units are all programmed as 57 (4-door golf) has been proven wrong multiple times. It's just that a 4-door golf is the most common configuration, so it's likely most people see that code flash.

AndyMal, do you know who had the programming dongle before you? I'd bet they have a Jetta. Let me know if you can find that out!

AndyMal

I have purchased the dongle from ebay as new, though I have some doubts, for the SD card is 4GB microSD with adapter instead of 1GB card as it appears on images in the description on official WV parts site. So, I cannot give evidence neither if the unit comes preprogrammed with random(wrong) profile nor it has any profile programmed at all.
Anyway it worked for me perfectly. It's a shame that VW is spreading that myth that units come preprogrammed.
Sorry that I cannot help you flipflp.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I have purchased the dongle from ebay as new, though I have some doubts, for the SD card is 4GB microSD with adapter instead of 1GB card as it appears on images in the description on official WV parts site. So, I cannot give evidence neither if the unit comes preprogrammed with random(wrong) profile nor it has any profile programmed at all.
Anyway it worked for me perfectly. It's a shame that VW is spreading that myth that units come preprogrammed.
Sorry that I cannot help you flipflp.

Hi Andy, no worries! I read a post from another user who purchased a "new" unit, though I think many dealerships are using the dongle and then after it sits on the shelf in parts for years they are selling them on eBay. Just a wild guess, but I've read your story before.

I don't think it's actually VW spreading any myths however, it's the retailers and forums for the most part.

There is a note on some VW parts sites for the dongle that says "The soundbox DSP default setting is Golf, GTI, and Golf R MK7 hatchback models. No programming is necessary for these models". There aren't any similar notes on pages for the Helix upgrade though.

I think ECS had a note on the Helix page itself about "Units come programmed for a 4-door golf (57)" in the past, but now their site has a bit more ambiguous but still incorrect note that "Vehicles that are not Mk7 Golf, Mk7 GTI, or Mk7 Golf R will require coding."

I had a link for a PDF of the dongle instructions but I can't seem to find it now, but I remember not seeing any notes there about units being preprogrammed.

FOUND IT: http://www.volkswagen-accessories.com/en/product-ranges/infotainment/soundsystem.html
This has the manual for the dongle, page 7 is in English. The only note is has for codes is to wait until "00" is shown before inserting the SD card. My theory is that the dongle has some memory and will first flash the last code it programmed, then 00. That is where I believe the myth comes from.

Last edited:

AndyMal

Hi Andy, no worries! I read a post from another user who purchased a "new" unit, though I think many dealerships are using the dongle and then after it sits on the shelf in parts for years they are selling them on eBay. Just a wild guess, but I've read your story before.

I don't think it's actually VW spreading any myths however, it's the retailers and forums for the most part.

There is a note on some VW parts sites for the dongle that says "The soundbox DSP default setting is Golf, GTI, and Golf R MK7 hatchback models. No programming is necessary for these models". The programming isn't MK7 specific either way. There aren't any similar notes on pages for the Helix upgrade though.

I think ECS had a note on the Helix page itself about "Units come programmed for a 4-door golf (57)" in the past, but now their site has a bit more ambiguous but still incorrect note that "Vehicles that are not Mk7 Golf, Mk7 GTI, or Mk7 Golf R will require coding." Again, code 57 is for 4-door Golf, Mk6 or Mk7 and not ONLY Mk7, but that's sort of moot.

I had a link for a PDF of the dongle instructions but I can't seem to find it now, but I remember not seeing any notes there about units being preprogrammed.

FOUND IT: http://www.volkswagen-accessories.com/en/product-ranges/infotainment/soundsystem.html
This has the manual for the dongle, page 7 is in English. The only note is has for codes is to wait until "00" is shown before inserting the SD card. My theory is that the dongle has some memory and will first flash the last code it programmed, then 00. That is where I believe the myth comes from.

Your theory might be true. But probably the simplest way to find it out for certain is to have two cars side by side and program them with different codes.
And btw, code 57 is only for 4-door MK7. For 4-door MK6 the code is 44.(see settings_en.pdf)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Your theory might be true. But probably the simplest way to find it out for certain is to have two cars side by side and program them with different codes.
And btw, code 57 is only for 4-door MK7. For 4-door MK6 the code is 44.(see settings_en.pdf)

I want to say in the super long 60+ page thread someone did that, since dongles were being shipped all over the country.

And you're 100% right, mk6 and mk7 have different codes, but the Helix upgrade is definitely valid for more than the MK7 chassis. I'll correct my posts.

GE90

Passed Driver's Ed
I have found this information about the dongle, which makes sense:

Note that the number that will display when you first plug in and power up the programmer is NOT necessarily the current program that is stored and being used in the sub amplifier itself.

It is actually the number -- stored inside the memory of the programming dongle itself -- of the last-flashed program, whether the one set at the factory if new, or the last one used by a previous user/programmer.

That's why you can often see the program number for your own vehicle when you first plug it in, but then finally hear the results of the new program once you commit the new program and write to the sub amplifier.

So, make sure you write to the amp no matter what number comes up first in the programming dongle!

zjkim0711

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I think I screwed up. Tried turning the small screw on the DSP and pushed it in too far and now the sub won’t work. Does anyone know if vw sells just the DSP? Or is it something I can fix?