GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox highs/mids sounds CRAP

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I thought that there might be a gain but i looked everywhere, i assume its on the side of the amp and not the speaker.... i wonder if i turn that down if it will allow the amp to run cooler and not clip the mids as much.

I was half tempted to go the alpine 5 channel route to get the volumn i want but if thats going to increase rattles then no way.

Arghhhh its looking like a 40% max volumn is looking like a reality. Its a shame because theres something phsycological i dont like about being limited to only turning it up so far. At this stage id probably pay VW to change how the progress bar worked if i could!!

It's a small (green I think) philips head screw on the amp. It's possible that could help with the clipping you're experiencing.

You can always re-amp only the speakers and leave the sub, but at that point why are you using the Helix? It's a great budget upgrade but it's not going to win any contests.

I think I get your position on the psychological bit, but like others have said, if you are using more than the Helix can put out, you're either deaf or like pain, and are likely damaging your hearing.

Even the factory system couldn't use much more than half of the volume knob without breaking up, and it didn't sound as good on the way there.

Some of your problem could be your source material as well, if you're using your phone for low quality MP3s or streaming, or overly compressed music, you're going to hear distortion sooner on the volume knob.

daniel2017

It's a small (green I think) philips head screw on the amp. It's possible that could help with the clipping you're experiencing.

You can always re-amp only the speakers and leave the sub, but at that point why are you using the Helix? It's a great budget upgrade but it's not going to win any contests.

I think I get your position on the psychological bit, but like others have said, if you are using more than the Helix can put out, you're either deaf or like pain, and are likely damaging your hearing.

Even the factory system couldn't use much more than half of the volume knob without breaking up, and it didn't sound as good on the way there.

Some of your problem could be your source material as well, if you're using your phone for low quality MP3s or streaming, or overly compressed music, you're going to hear distortion sooner on the volume knob.

Ill check for the gain first thing tomorrow morning, although its so strange because i litrally looked everywhere. must be blind aswell as deaf.

I thought about re-amping just the speakers but then id have to run the additional cable that turns the amp on and off with the engine. Not quiet sure how to do that.

Im using the trial version of spotify so my sourse could be much better.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Ill check for the gain first thing tomorrow morning, although its so strange because i litrally looked everywhere. must be blind aswell as deaf.

I thought about re-amping just the speakers but then id have to run the additional cable that turns the amp on and off with the engine. Not quiet sure how to do that.

Im using the trial version of spotify so my sourse could be much better.

I don't think there are different revisions of the Helix box, but it is a very tiny plastic screw on the side of the amp. Not sure it's even labeled. If I remember right it's the side without all of the plugs (its not in this picture, just posting as reference):

If you wanted to reamp the speakers, you could just cut or modify the helix harness, either before or after the helix DSP/Amp and use those outputs for the speakers. Most amps now have a turn on circuit built in once they sense voltage on the input, so no "turn on" wire is required anymore.

Try loading some 192kbps+ MP3s on to a SD card or grab a few CDs and see if your opinion changes with the source material. Spotify does have an HD streaming option if I remember correctly but the trial version might not have that option, so you could be listening to very low quality audio.

daniel2017

I don't think there are different revisions of the Helix box, but it is a very tiny plastic screw on the side of the amp. Not sure it's even labeled. If I remember right it's the side without all of the plugs (its not in this picture, just posting as reference):

If you wanted to reamp the speakers, you could just cut or modify the helix harness, either before or after the helix DSP/Amp and use those outputs for the speakers. Most amps now have a turn on circuit built in once they sense voltage on the input, so no "turn on" wire is required anymore.

Try loading some 192kbps+ MP3s on to a SD card or grab a few CDs and see if your opinion changes with the source material. Spotify does have an HD streaming option if I remember correctly but the trial version might not have that option, so you could be listening to very low quality audio.

Thanks for your comments, you have bee super helpful. Yep my amp looks exactly like that one.

Ill try changing the gain and ill try better media. If not ill explore the amp route. I guess id want to take the signal coming out of the amp so to benefit from the DSP although im not sure if you can amp signal into another amp? and I suppose at that point it would warrant a speaker upgrade too.

Although a £100 amp and £200 on speakers and ££ on installation might not be the end of the world.

Im really hoping I can clean it up with the gain and sourse. I just want about 60% clean sound :)

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thanks for your comments, you have bee super helpful. Yep my amp looks exactly like that one.

Ill try changing the gain and ill try better media. If not ill explore the amp route. I guess id want to take the signal coming out of the amp so to benefit from the DSP although im not sure if you can amp signal into another amp? and I suppose at that point it would warrant a speaker upgrade too.

Although a £100 amp and £200 on speakers and ££ on installation might not be the end of the world.

Im really hoping I can clean it up with the gain and sourse. I just want about 60% clean sound :)

Happy to help! After the drop in price on the Helix there's been a lot of convo going on, re-amping the system has been one of the topics so it's fresh in my mind haha.

I would definitely recommend taking the output from the Helix to re-amp, like you said to keep the benefit of the DSP. That said, you've got a double gain stage at that point (headunit, Helix) so you'll need to adjust the gain on the new amp fairly low to allow more volume knob.

You're also not getting a clean "line output" quality signal regardless, but a bigger amp should drive the stock speakers to a higher volume than the helix.

daniel2017

Happy to help! After the drop in price on the Helix there's been a lot of convo going on, re-amping the system has been one of the topics so it's fresh in my mind haha.

I would definitely recommend taking the output from the Helix to re-amp, like you said to keep the benefit of the DSP. That said, you've got a double gain stage at that point (headunit, Helix) so you'll need to adjust the gain on the new amp fairly low to allow more volume knob.

You're also not getting a clean "line output" quality signal regardless, but a bigger amp should drive the stock speakers to a higher volume than the helix.

although the drawback of going the 2nd amp route would be the rattle. argghhh car manufacturers just need to get audio right the 1st time.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
although the drawback of going the 2nd amp route would be the rattle. argghhh car manufacturers just need to get audio right the 1st time.

If you're just reamping speakers, you shouldn't increase your rattles by too much.

Being a bit contrary here, technically you're the issue, not the car manufacturers hahaha. They do an "okay" job for 99% of the users out there, with the dollar amounts they have to allot to car audio.

Outside of $100k flagship cars, you can pretty much ALWAYS improve on factory audio, it just depends on your goals and your budget.

Some sound damping might be in your future, I'm considering doing my doors and the trunk floor with some type of "dynamat" style product. Both for reduced road noise, but also for sound quality and to damp vibrations.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I think you're right...I didn't see anything either :confused:
Just to make sure I wasn't crazy:

Or maybe I'm special? It's that blue and white bit you're seeing above the status light.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
Just to make sure I wasn't crazy:

Or maybe I'm special? It's that blue and white bit you're seeing above the status light.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

When I installed mine, the bass was way too boomy, so I pulled it back out and discovered this same screw. I turned it about half way down, and it made a huge difference.

When I installed my wife's, I just preemptively turned it down. The funny thing is, her's sounds much better than mine overall. I haven't programmed ours yet, but I'm interested to see if they're different on programming.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
http://imgur.com/wyoF5SQ

Aha, found it... it looks like it needs a hex key of some sort

That's the one, but I thought I remembered it being just a standard philips head screw.

I might mess with that level a bit, but I'm hesitant because bass below 200hz or so is strong and impactful, but some song's upper bass can be a bit too "filling". I guess you can't expect a perfect flat response for the money, but it's apparent the subs have a "sweet spot" haha.

gamille

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with flipflp, the 2 of mine were tiny little plastic philips screws. Be gentle so you don't strip it.

One thing to note, on both of ours, I am running the midrange at about 4-5 below center level. Anything above that, I had to shift fade towards the back... almost sounds like the mid adjustment just sends more power to the front speakers.

You may give it a shot. When I got the midrange adjusted down, I was able to raise the treble a bit. I was also able to center my fade. Of course, this was after I adjusted the screw about 1/2 down. I'm at +2 bass, -4 or -5 on midrange, +2 treble. Everyone's hearing and taste is different, just an example.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I agree with flipflp, the 2 of mine were tiny little plastic philips screws. Be gentle so you don't strip it.

One thing to note, on both of ours, I am running the midrange at about 4-5 below center level. Anything above that, I had to shift fade towards the back... almost sounds like the mid adjustment just sends more power to the front speakers.

You may give it a shot. When I got the midrange adjusted down, I was able to raise the treble a bit. I was also able to center my fade. Of course, this was after I adjusted the screw about 1/2 down. I'm at +2 bass, -4 or -5 on midrange, +2 treble. Everyone's hearing and taste is different, just an example.

I've always, always scooped midrange from every stock stereo I've had. Like you said, down between 3-5 clicks on the midrange. If the bass is lacking, again like you I've done 1-2 up there. Treble, I still have reasonably good hearing in the higher ranges so I've left it flat, but if the stock speakers lack, 1-2 clicks up works to solve that.

If I've had a graphic EQ, either on an aftermarket stereo or on something fantastically high end like the optional tape deck from my 1990 Silverado haha, the EQ looked like an upside down bell curve.

On the Helix though, I've left everything flat since I've programmed it to really feel out the tuning and the system, and I haven't once felt the need to adjust it.

Before programming, I did basically what you suggested though, just to keep the midrange from distorting and to let me crank a bit more. Unprogrammed for me was nearly unlistenable without that.

Like you said, everyone's hearing is different, but I've found the Helix "as-is" to be pretty damn good.

daniel2017

It was too windy to fix tonight, im going to leave it for the weekend now. I did also adjust my 2 door golf to the 4 door version of the chip. Tomorrow im going to test the difference that makes. I have stock compondent speakers in the front and back so I wonder why the need for a 56 AND 57 setting on the dongle.

When you say you turn the gain 1/2 down. Do you mean you have it half way or you turn it down 50% from where its set out of the box?