GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IE Intercooler Going on Sale

You guys really make me want to try this on my own! I'm definitely mechanically inclined... I tried to change my headlight bulbs and dropped both down into the plastic undercarriage/tray thing. I had to get help :(... But I am super cheap and I would like to save a few hundred.

If youre mechanically inclined enough, do it. I did mine yesterday, and it took me, with the help of my wife holding things here and there, about 4 hours. Follow the DAP video step by step and it works pretty well. Seriously. Ive never taken a bumper off a car, or changed anything like this, but work with my hands for a living. Its not a horribly complicated job. Just take your time and follow the DAP video step by step (it helps if you have a tablet and pause it each step).

I forgot about using silicon spray, but I found that working the yellow clips helped. Pry the top one down and use the second screw driver to pry forward just a little big. Then hold that tension prying it forward and do the bottom and pull forward more. Then go back to the top, all while holding the tension on the prying screwdriver, and redo the top. That ended up working great for me on both sides.

I did however break the clips that hold the factory intercooler to the radiator. Those bastards are a tight clearance, but luckily, I have no plan to ever go back to the factory one.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Got mine installed today. Start to finish about 5 hours with a lot of breaks cursing and drinking some beers. Those yellow clips were a pain. You guys weren't joking.

I have a single screw left over and my fog lights to plug back from rushing to put everything back together since the wife surprisingly called for a ride home due to missing her train.

Any guesses as to the most commonly missed step/hole this screw might go into? Lol.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Got mine installed today. Start to finish about 5 hours with a lot of breaks cursing and drinking some beers. Those yellow clips were a pain. You guys weren't joking.

I have a single screw left over and my fog lights to plug back from rushing to put everything back together since the wife surprisingly called for a ride home due to missing her train.

Any guesses as to the most commonly missed step/hole this screw might go into? Lol.

Can you post a pic of it? Probably from the undertray.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Would this Intercooler be overkill for someone who really only runs JB4 map 6?
No it's a great intercooler

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
You'll get a downpipe.....

So, yes.

Haha no really I won’t. I couldn’t deal with the extra noise.

Had my car for a year and have poured thousands into it, the only performance modification outside of wheels/tires being an HPA dogbone. CSS muffler is plenty loud.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Haha no really I won’t. I couldn’t deal with the extra noise.

Had my car for a year and have poured thousands into it, the only performance modification outside of wheels/tires being an HPA dogbone. CSS muffler is plenty loud.
Either way the intercooler is still a worth while investment.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Navi

Autocross Champion

Yeah those yellow clips are super robust. I bought two new ones just incase. I'm glad I did bc after wrestling with them for a bit, I said fuck it and just snapped both of them off. Took everything apart and used the new clips going back in. Anyone that's doing they install themselves, get those clips. I'd recommend it.

16gtiguy

Ready to race!
Yeah those yellow clips are super robust. I bought two new ones just incase. I'm glad I did bc after wrestling with them for a bit, I said fuck it and just snapped both of them off. Took everything apart and used the new clips going back in. Anyone that's doing they install themselves, get those clips. I'd recommend it.

Do you recall what the part number is?

Navi

Autocross Champion
Should I buy these if a shop is doing the install?

I'm pretty sure some shops break them and reinstall with some kind of ghetto rigged fix. I heated mine with a heat gun to get more play out of them and it was still nearly impossible.