GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Instalation Guide (1.8t)

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Oh, it's actually a different unit? I guess they would be if all the computer is doing with the check is reading the voltage. I also updated my instructions to say basically do the test backwards until it fails then go one step forwards, just in case. This should eliminate user error as long as they have VCDS and hopefully save people time.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
It’s easier to start a little loose and keep tightening than to deal with a super tight rod on the car I guess. Because then you can just hand tighten it and not deal with the lock pliers like I did lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It’s easier to start a little loose and keep tightening than to deal with a super tight rod on the car I guess. Because then you can just hand tighten it and not deal with the lock pliers like I did lol

That's a good point too! I just figured based on your experience loose was closer to correct than 1.5 turns tight.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Cool guys, I think we are on the same page.

I also updated my instructions to say basically do the test backwards until it fails then go one step forwards, just in case.

That sounds good! You get the same adjustment doing it that way.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Yeah. I went a little loose, and then tried to tighten a little bit after. I just tightened until there was no movement at all on the door. I keep having the EPC pop on occasionally, but it goes off on its own. It doesn’t affect driving at all. Maybe I need to back off a tiny bit. Again, no VCDS, so it’s trial and error. I tried looking for the code, but nothing is there. I think it’s because I have the future use D set to 90. I’ll set that back to zero and see if it reads the code.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Yes please post the codes. I posted my codes from Vcds in my thread I believe. If not I can find them I saved photos. Pretty sure I posted the pics. The VCDS codes were different and more detailed than what OBD2 says

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
EPC came back today. It was 3AD239. George said it’s a fuel rail fault code. I guess FOL 80 won’t work. I also tried setting my target to 26.3 at 4,000-4,500. It still didn’t go past 24-24.4 on a few different logs. My trims were hitting 49, but AFR was looking decent I’m going to lower my settings from 3,500-4,500 back to 25 since it didn’t make a difference going higher. Leaving the everything above that as is though. Still had 23.1@5,000 and 16 degrees of advance. I’m guessing the gti downpipe might be the limiting factor for boost.
https://datazap.me/u/jcranwell/is20-263-target-fol-80?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-5-6-11-14-18&solo=5-6-14

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
EPC came back today. It was 3AD239. George said it’s a fuel rail fault code. I guess FOL 80 won’t work. I also tried setting my target to 26.3 at 4,000-4,500. It still didn’t go past 24-24.4 on a few different logs. My trims were hitting 49, but AFR was looking decent I’m going to lower my settings from 3,500-4,500 back to 25 since it didn’t make a difference going higher. Leaving the everything above that as is though. Still had 23.1@5,000 and 16 degrees of advance. I’m guessing the gti downpipe might be the limiting factor for boost.
https://datazap.me/u/jcranwell/is20-263-target-fol-80?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-5-6-11-14-18&solo=5-6-14

Ah, that makes sense. I'm using FOL 70 and I am only running a max of 21 PSI. Still very happy with my conservative daily tune on E20/25. I've never seen the EPC light after mashing it tons of times. Curious to see what you do with yours if you crank it up further. Do you plan to dyno or run the 1/4 at some point?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Ah, that makes sense. I'm using FOL 70 and I am only running a max of 21 PSI. Still very happy with my conservative daily tune on E20/25. I've never seen the EPC light after mashing it tons of times. Curious to see what you do with yours if you crank it up further. Do you plan to dyno or run the 1/4 at some point?

I don't think I can get anymore out of it because of my trims at this point. I have noticed that they usually do adjust over time though. With the is12 I would see 50-51 on an aggressive tune, but it would eventually adjust and get into the low 40's. If this happens, I can try a little bit more. I didn't see any gains in peak boost from going 24, 25, or 26.3. I'll probably keep a 25 target from 3,500-4,500 and then leave everything else as is. Maybe it will help it a little more at 6,000. I still have copies of the log that Chris did and he hit 26.8 psi at 4,500 and had 25.4 at 5,000 and 21.5 at 6,000. I'm not sure how he did it with FOL 70. He does have a proper downpipe and cat back, but my timing is better. Maybe that's the difference. I still have my downpipe. I still might throw it back on if I feel like I need more. I would love to hit the track one day. A dyno would be fun, but I think the track speaks more about what it's doing.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Any JB4 guys want to share some 93 octane logs. I did well with the e30, but I’m having some issues with 93. The main thing is that I filled up with 93 on my way home and then parked it 5 minutes later. The next morning I took out my RS7 plugs and swapped in Densos. I went and ran a log where my timing was taking a 2-3 degree hit around 4,000 on up. I lowered my target by .8-1.2 throughout from that point on up. I then ran three more logs on my way into work. Right before I got to work a did a short 3rd gear acceleration onto a highway that wasn’t even revved out all of the way. Probably shifted into 4th before 5,000. I got an EPC for cylinder disabled. When I got into work I looked at the three logs. Each one looked worse than the previous with the timing. Areas that were 4-5 under the higher target were now at 0-.5. On the final log. My total advance that got up to 11-12 on the high boost, was now at 8-9. I’m not sure if it’s gas or plugs, but based on how it deteriorated, I’m guessing it’s the plugs. I’m currently running about the same boost as I was on the IS12 with a little more up top, but my timing is worse than it was in the IS12 with 93. I’m going to swap in the RS7 plugs, but I’m hoping to see what some other guys logged on just 93. JB4 only though. Stacks are going to be completely different

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
Any JB4 guys want to share some 93 octane logs. I did well with the e30, but I’m having some issues with 93. The main thing is that I filled up with 93 on my way home and then parked it 5 minutes later. The next morning I took out my RS7 plugs and swapped in Densos. I went and ran a log where my timing was taking a 2-3 degree hit around 4,000 on up. I lowered my target by .8-1.2 throughout from that point on up. I then ran three more logs on my way into work. Right before I got to work a did a short 3rd gear acceleration onto a highway that wasn’t even revved out all of the way. Probably shifted into 4th before 5,000. I got an EPC for cylinder disabled. When I got into work I looked at the three logs. Each one looked worse than the previous with the timing. Areas that were 4-5 under the higher target were now at 0-.5. On the final log. My total advance that got up to 11-12 on the high boost, was now at 8-9. I’m not sure if it’s gas or plugs, but based on how it deteriorated, I’m guessing it’s the plugs. I’m currently running about the same boost as I was on the IS12 with a little more up top, but my timing is worse than it was in the IS12 with 93. I’m going to swap in the RS7 plugs, but I’m hoping to see what some other guys logged on just 93. JB4 only though. Stacks are going to be completely different

How bad is the lag on is20?

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion

I switched to a new phone a month or so ago after a HW problem on my old phone. In the process, I lost my IS20 logs and custom maps from my old phone. Should have known better :( I think I may be able to recover them with a bit of Android hacking, but I haven't had a chance to look into it yet. Pisses me off since I took IS20 logs from 16 PSI all the way up to the 21 PSI map I am currently running in +1 PSI increments. Getting good logs around here isn't easy either...not enough good open roads where it is safe and without worrying about speeding tickets. Having a fast car isn't as fun as it used to be when you live in a damn police state with red light and speed cameras all over the place! I'll let you know if I am able to recover any of them. I also thought I may have sent some to George, but I couldn't find any for the IS20...that may have only been for the JB1, JB4 on the IS12 since I was comfortable adjusting myself by then.

Just a thought...are you sure your WG is adjusted properly, or do you feel you are confident about being past that now? My timing has never been as advanced as yours, maybe a difference in stock tune (mine is a 2015 early production), or perhaps something else causing the difference. My max timing at 6000 RPM is usually somewhere in between yours on the IS12 and the APR logs I have seen. If I don't mix in any E85, I typically see some timing pull at WOT, but less than 2.0. AFR is good at 21 PSI and my trims stay in the 40's with FOL 70. I see a slightly lean spool-up as expected and then it dips down to 13-13.7 or so under WOT depending on conditions and fuel being used. The AFR logging bug drive me crazy though...I really hope the new JB4 firmware I am hearing about fixes this.

How bad is the lag on is20?

I didn't notice at all. You can also somewhat tune it out with the JB4 by adjusting the boost curve down low. I like to keep my front wheels from spinning anyhow and I limit boost in 1st and 2nd, so it is an all around non issue for me...maybe even a blessing in disguise. Also, just to note, my fuel economy hasn't had any noticeable degradation either. If I modulate my foot, I can still get essentially the same MPG on long trips and for my daily commute in the city. My E20-25 mixes take a little mileage hit as expected, but on 93 I don't notice any difference. Makes sense since the 1.8 doesn't do that much better than the GTI anyhow, especially in the real world.

ketoi12345678

Ready to race!
Everyday driving you won’t notice it at all. When logging from a low rpm, it takes a bit to come on. The IS12 will come on pretty full by 3,000, the IS20 is closer to to 3,500 before it starts going

I didn't notice at all. You can also somewhat tune it out with the JB4 by adjusting the boost curve down low. I like to keep my front wheels from spinning anyhow and I limit boost in 1st and 2nd, so it is an all around non issue for me...maybe even a blessing in disguise. Also, just to note, my fuel economy hasn't had any noticeable degradation either. If I modulate my foot, I can still get essentially the same MPG on long trips and for my daily commute in the city. My E20-25 mixes take a little mileage hit as expected, but on 93 I don't notice any difference. Makes sense since the 1.8 doesn't do that much better than the GTI anyhow, especially in the real world.

I don't race or drive aggressively, but I do spend time at the drag strip. I am still debating is20 or is38. Could you guys give me your opinions?
I know if I go with is38, I will need a flash or upgrade injectors from golf R to use with jb4. btw, golf R injectors part # is 06L906036L or 06F998036F. I checked online and they both listed it for golf R but different in part number.