GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDELEVEN

alper

Ready to race!
Anyone know if it's possible to log AFR/Lamba values? Tried to locate the appropriate channels through Engine > Live Data but I didn't manage. I later looked up logs of my last VAG car and on that one lambda was called "Current of oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 1 (broadband sensor)" , is there such a value (or equivalent) available for MK7 cars? Cheers

Update: There actually is a value with the exact same name in the available channels and it reads lambda/Voltage, success!

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
Try this
Seat adjustment driver side (36) - Coding - Easy_Entry_ Front - Change to Active, ( that’s if you have powered seats).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do have powered driver seat (‘16 Golf R)

I had to manually check it “on” in the gateway list, but there was a black circle behind the “36”

When I selected it, said it was unable to connect with control unit, check ignition.

Does this mean I don’t have that control unit, or is there something else that needs to be activated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
Also, I set the bottom parameter to “active” but have no idea what it did! (If anything). This was under driver door electronics.

GreenmanWood

Hello all,
Sorry if this has already been addressed, but is there a way to use obdeleven to make the screen in between the gauges default to oil temperature on startup? To me, that's the most important thing to watch, especially in winter. I try to keep the engine below 2500 rpm until it reaches operating temp, or at least until the display begins to show a temp (around 125°F), Thanks in advance.

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Hello all,
Sorry if this has already been addressed, but is there a way to use obdeleven to make the screen in between the gauges default to oil temperature on startup? To me, that's the most important thing to watch, especially in winter. I try to keep the engine below 2500 rpm until it reaches operating temp, or at least until the display begins to show a temp (around 125°F), Thanks in advance.
Idk if there's a way to, but doesn't it start up with whatever was last on display when the car was shut off? It would be interesting to know if a default can be chosen, though.

I just make sure to switch mine from the digital speedometer (what I mostly drive with) to the oil temp before I shut off my car, especially to know if I need to slowly drive around the block to cool down the oil a bit. Because of this, the oil temp gauge appears when I start up the car.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

GreenmanWood

Yep, NeedSleep, the screen on startup is whatever it was on when the car was shut off. I'm hoping to find a way for it to start up on oil temp regardless of what it was on at shut off.

dub_guy

Ready to race!
Does anyone know if there is a way to reprogram the buttons on radio? Would like to reprogram the traffic button to a mute one, since I’m never going to subscribe to traffic.

arres

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW MK7 Golf R
Idk if there's a way to, but doesn't it start up with whatever was last on display when the car was shut off? It would be interesting to know if a default can be chosen, though.

I just make sure to switch mine from the digital speedometer (what I mostly drive with) to the oil temp before I shut off my car, especially to know if I need to slowly drive around the block to cool down the oil a bit. Because of this, the oil temp gauge appears when I start up the car.

I didn’t realize you’re supposed to let the oil temp cool down before shutting the engine off? What’s the reason?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I didn’t realize you’re supposed to let the oil temp cool down before shutting the engine off? What’s the reason?

You're fine if you drive calmly or don't go into boost the last few minutes of the drive. I don't really stay idling to cool it down. I simply drive calmly around the block or in the last few blocks of my commute if I need to.

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com...ed-to-cool-down-your-turbo-after-hard-driving

From https://www.quora.com/Is-it-bad-to-turn-off-car-engine-immediately-after-stop:
You should never turn off an engine with a turbo without allowing it a couple of minutes to cool down if you have been running it hard, for example climbing a long hill at full throttle.

The turbo is cooled by the lubricating oil flowing thru it, and when you shut off the engine the oil flow stops. This means the few drops actually IN the turbo bearings at that instant might get hot enough to gum up, resulting in a very expensive turbo repair.

Last edited:

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
You're fine if you drive calmly or don't go into boost the last few minutes of the drive. I don't really stay idling to cool it down. I simply drive calmly around the block or in the last few blocks of my commute if I need to.

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com...ed-to-cool-down-your-turbo-after-hard-driving

From https://www.quora.com/Is-it-bad-to-turn-off-car-engine-immediately-after-stop:

I gun it down my street at WOT and lock up the ABS sliding into my garage, never had an issue.

sergemcgraw83

Passed Driver's Ed

No your not. Not on VW MK7 at least. The reason is that if you were driving madly just before shutting down the engine, the turbo would be super hot. And by shutting down the engine, you shut down the oil pump an water pump, stopping the circulation (and cooling down) of the oil and beargins in the turbo. Sitting oil in a super hot turbo can also cause oil to cake in.

Ever heard a noise for like 1 to 5 minutes after shutting down you engine? That's the coolant pump. The MK7 is smart enough to cool the turbo by itself after engine shut off.

So no, you don't have to.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Modern turbo cars should have a secondary water pump which runs after the engine is shut down. So while it wouldn't be a good I idea to do a WoT run and immediately pull over and shut down the engine, it shouldn't be a problem to shut down the engine soon after. Of course increasing the amount of time between WoT runs and shut down is beneficial, but not doing so doesn't kill your turbo anymore.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Glad i'm not the only one.. That's why the fans keep running when you shut it off not worried at all.

Might be a good idea to keep it running in the garage for about an hour with the garage door and any windows closed though. Should help keep the bug and rodent population under control.