GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Photo comparison of 235/40 vs. 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Spot on Stock Austins

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Reviving this thread instead of starting a new one. Will I have any issues mounting a 235 PSS on an 8" wide RSe10 wheel? Thinking 235/35/R18. Planning on lowering with springs in future. Let me know if I asking for trouble or if I should go with 8.5" rim width. Thanks!

Yes 235 will fit the RSe10's just fine. Even lowered. It is what most people run.

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
Go 19's

Nuff said :cool:

Attachments

• 2016-11-11_13-29-35.jpg
    2016-11-11_13-29-35.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,535

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
I guess I just assumed since it would be better if it fit, slightly larger contact patch. Is there a pro to go with the 225, besides cost and price?

Edit: sorry didn't read correctly. No reason really if 40 is better that's what I'll get. Just don't know what is ideal. That is why I posted

Just thinking comfort wise, might be better to have a little more sidewall on the street. I'm running conti dw 235/40s on 18x8s and it's just fine. If you're doing 18x8.5, definitely run 235s. If 18x8, you can do either width.

dre1615

Ready to race!
Just thinking comfort wise, might be better to have a little more sidewall on the street. I'm running conti dw 235/40s on 18x8s and it's just fine. If you're doing 18x8.5, definitely run 235s. If 18x8, you can do either width.

Thanks for the response. I think I'm set on 235/40/18. How are you liking the conti DW's? I'm considering them over the PSS because they're almost half the price with slightly inferior performance ratings. Or go all season and sell the austins as my winter set.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the response. I think I'm set on 235/40/18. How are you liking the conti DW's? I'm considering them over the PSS because they're almost half the price with slightly inferior performance ratings. Or go all season and sell the austins as my winter set.

I haven't ever tried PSS, but am told they're phenomenal for handling and responsiveness. I was coming from stock Hankook Ventus all seasons, which I thought were ok for being a non-summer tire. Stage 2 Unitronic...I could still get traction if I was careful in second, but definitely saw the limits on handling. Also, I went from austins to rse10s at the same time and shed ~5lbs per corner.

With all that in mind, the DW grip is a vast improvement. If I half throttle it, I can mostly get traction in first gear. Second gear is no problem at all. On cornering, I feel a lot more confidence. These tires will start to complain when you're about to hit the limit. I'm sure the PSS offer better steering response and grip, but I'm not on the track and tires are a wear item. I can't really hit the limits with my current setup without being a complete hooligan. In fact, the grip is so good that it exposed some of the things I want to change on the suspension. Didn't even notice them before swapping wheels and tires. Hope that helps.

dre1615

Ready to race!
I haven't ever tried PSS, but am told they're phenomenal for handling and responsiveness. I was coming from stock Hankook Ventus all seasons, which I thought were ok for being a non-summer tire. Stage 2 Unitronic...I could still get traction if I was careful in second, but definitely saw the limits on handling. Also, I went from austins to rse10s at the same time and shed ~5lbs per corner.

With all that in mind, the DW grip is a vast improvement. If I half throttle it, I can mostly get traction in first gear. Second gear is no problem at all. On cornering, I feel a lot more confidence. These tires will start to complain when you're about to hit the limit. I'm sure the PSS offer better steering response and grip, but I'm not on the track and tires are a wear item. I can't really hit the limits with my current setup without being a complete hooligan. In fact, the grip is so good that it exposed some of the things I want to change on the suspension. Didn't even notice them before swapping wheels and tires. Hope that helps.

Really appreciate the feedback.

mhouck

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got OE Hankook's on my GTI PP, and kinda want to jump to PSSs. Mounting slightly wider tires on my OE Austins is also interesting. Are any other mods required to do this?

Also...what are you guys doing with the OE tires? Anyone selling them back to offset some of the cost? I've got about 7500 miles on mine, they look brand new.

rg2002

Passed Driver's Ed
FWIW, TireRack's Two Year Road Hazard insurance for the 235s requires at least an 8" wheel. (I was waffling back and forth between 225s and 235s on the Austins, and am going with 225s because of this.)

leo

Ready to race!
This is the exact information I need at the moment. Just replaced the stock tires with four Michelin PS4 235/40/18, (stock rim 7.5j). napadirt your tire look perfectly l l , however my PS4 look like \ /
know what I mean? Any advice guys?

Last edited:

Kinogod

Passed Driver's Ed

Yes, once you get good springs tires and lighter rims on the mk7 GTI you really see that dampers must come next. Real limits there. Espesh when you up the tune

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrDavid

Ready to race!
Beyond the obvious increased traction under acceleration, braking, and cornering, here are my initial impressions of the Michelin PSS after 60 miles:

1. Body roll is substantially reduced.
2. Turn-in more responsive.
3. Less steering angle required. About half the slip angle.
4. Stiffer ride over bumps. Not harsh, just much more road feel through the chassis. Steering feel regrettably is still numb.
5. Front and rear of the car now roll together on corner exit, feeling more connected.

Yes the ride is slightly stiffer, but it's not a harsh ride by any means. Bumps on the road are now very much part of driving experience. Road noise however isn't any louder.

These tires completely transformed the personality of the car. It now drives like a "sports car", instead of a "sporty hatch". I find it somewhat surprising that tires can have this large of an effect on the car

Nearly all of the handling gripes I had on the car were eliminated by these tires. I am now less keen to lower the car and add stiffer anti-roll bars. I will eventually try stiffening the rear sway bar to make the car more pointy and the rearend more active, but I may choose a tune first prior to any chassis upgrades. With the increased traction, the additional torque and power provided by a tune now seem more usable.

I wonder why VW chose to dull the driving experience with these Pirelli A/S tires?

did you notice that on side walls ? i have the same !! i dont know if its normal or can be a problem....

https://ibb.co/iVcU8S

DrDavid

Ready to race!
interesting !!

napadirt says he loves the PS4 in austing wheels 235/40 but in the description he puts 225/40 PSS..... so what happens with 235 ?? :D