GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG longevity and reliability

Asfa

Passed Driver's Ed
I think the R has a good enough block to take the abuse of mild modifications but I think that weakest link might be the DSG tranny so my question is : what problems have you had with you DSG at different levels of mods ( stage 1 , stage 2 , etc ) with different tunes and also when after the mods and tunes were installed you started having issues with it ? Thanks in advance you input i

SRoads

Ready to race!
VW races them stock for two seasons with just fluid changes in their GTI TCR cars before the internals are rebuilt.

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
I think the R has a good enough block to take the abuse of mild modifications but I think that weakest link might be the DSG tranny so my question is : what problems have you had with you DSG at different levels of mods ( stage 1 , stage 2 , etc ) with different tunes and also when after the mods and tunes were installed you started having issues with it ? Thanks in advance you input i

The DSG Transmission is very durable as long as you are not sitting at a light in launch mode for a long time.
If you go to Stage 1 Tune you are still ok with the DSG, but once you go to a Stage 2 Tune, it is a very wise to do a tune on the DSG.
That will give the clutches more clamping power.

Chuck

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
The DSG Transmission is very durable as long as you are not sitting at a light in launch mode for a long time.
If you go to Stage 1 Tune you are still ok with the DSG, but once you go to a Stage 2 Tune, it is a very wise to do a tune on the DSG.

Chuck

This is great info especially for new buyers like me, who are coming from a different platform. My concern is more longevity with a stage 1 or 2 tune. I am new to DSG transmissions...what kind of maintenance do they require? Do the clutches ever need to be changed throughout the life of the car? (I assume yes eventually since it is a wear part) What kind of longevity can one expect with normal daily driving on a stage 1 or 2 tune (with the DSG tune where required)?

Asfa

Passed Driver's Ed

Chuck
What longevity is expected once you go stage 2 with the tcu tune ? And about launches I’m more concern of the Haldex unit than the DSG , I’ve seen a few people having Haldex unit failures lately

ECS Tuning

Go Kart Champion
This is great info especially for new buyers like me, who are coming from a different platform. My concern is more longevity with a stage 1 or 2 tune. I am new to DSG transmissions...what kind of maintenance do they require? Do the clutches ever need to be changed throughout the life of the car? (I assume yes eventually since it is a wear part) What kind of longevity can one expect with normal daily driving on a stage 1 or 2 tune (with the DSG tune where required)?

I would change the DSG Fluid every 40,000 miles if you baby your car. 30,000 if you drive it enthusiastically on stock tune and Stage 1 tune.

If your car has a Stage 2 Tune then I would change the fluid every 10,000 miles to 15,000 miles or when you feel it needs to be changed. Such as when gear shifts seem sluggish or it takes a while to warm up.

Here is a link to the DSG Fluid Kit that we sell at ECS Tuning: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...ion-service-kit-with-service-tool/02e398051c/ ?utm_source=golfmk7&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=chuck_10_20_2017

If you do allot of Drag Racing or Track Racing you can upgrade the clutch pack to this: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-apr-parts/performance-dsg-clutch-pack/ms100132~apr/
?utm_source=golfmk7&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=chuck_10_20_2017

I will be doing the Clutch Pack Mod to my R In March 2018

Chuck

Don't break your $8,000 transmission though.