GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Navigation Maps Update

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think MY15 - 17 all have the same maps. :(

I think you're right. There is still no update available for 2015 and 16. I called the company on the nav website and was told they constantly update their maps but don't know if VW asked for them yet. There is supposed to be a way to be notified when (if) a new file is available.

The built-in maps app on my old cell phone is better.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Won't be one for prob another year if ever lol

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

I now agree completely. I called VW customer "service" and the CSR knew nothing but said he would ask and call me back in a few days.

My impression: VW would need to pay more for the newer SD cards and is saving money to pay for dieslegate.

If I cable up to Android Auto does my phone's maps app appear on the Infotainment screen? That way I can use better maps.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Our new Mazda3 allows you to pull the maps SD card out, stick it in your PC or Mac, download a free utility, then update it with whatever maps are current - totally free. Our brand new '17 already had an update available. Meanwhile, VWoA sits around in Virginia with their thumbs up their collective A$$E$ whistling dixie and still has no idea how to even fix the failing '17 MIB2 units that are dropping like flies.

Pathetic. VWoA has been a crap organization for decades. You'd think they'd get competent at some point, even if by accident. Still waiting.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
I think you're right. There is still no update available for 2015 and 16. I called the company on the nav website and was told they constantly update their maps but don't know if VW asked for them yet. There is supposed to be a way to be notified when (if) a new file is available.

The built-in maps app on my old cell phone is better.

Tom Tom provides the maps and they do update constantly. I even submitted updates to them for around my area after I bought my R and they were all accepted and incorporated for future maps.

That's the issue, cell phone apps that use the cloud will always be better. If automakers don't start allowing constant updates nobody will want their quickly outdated nav systems. Even if they allowed us to manually download updates on an SD card ourselves. I live in a part of the country where cell phone data service is absent more than available so it's still valuable for me.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Tom Tom provides the maps and they do update constantly. I even submitted updates to them for around my area after I bought my R and they were all accepted and incorporated for future maps.

Of course TomTom keeps the maps up to date - but VWoA chooses not to offer those updates to their customers on any kind of consistent basis - or apparently at ALL since MIB came out for the '15 MY. Pathetic.