GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
No resonated dp is good or effective at canceling drone.

Get a catted dp and replace the stock resonator with a Vibrant 17930.

I'd also suggest selling the CSS muffler and putting the stock back on, it'll help keep the volume about the same.

As far as the dp it's self it seems like the high end AWE and Neuspeed have a slightly quieter note and the least amount of smell since they use a better cat and it's closer to the turbo like the stock setup. Outside of them or similar (VWR maybe?) they'll all perform almost exactly the same. I always suggest CTS for quality, great fitment, lower price point but there's others out there.

Streer clear of USP (doesn't fit, leaks, rusts) or APR (unless your going APR stage 2, cuz they tack on the upgrade price even if you don't want their tune)

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
No resonated dp is good or effective at canceling drone.

Get a catted dp and replace the stock resonator with a Vibrant 17930.

I'd also suggest selling the CSS muffler and putting the stock back on, it'll help keep the volume about the same.

As far as the dp it's self it seems like the high end AWE and Neuspeed have a slightly quieter note and the least amount of smell since they use a better cat and it's closer to the turbo like the stock setup. Outside of them or similar (VWR maybe?) they'll all perform almost exactly the same. I always suggest CTS for quality, great fitment, lower price point but there's others out there.

Streer clear of USP (doesn't fit, leaks, rusts) or APR (unless your going APR stage 2, cuz they tack on the upgrade price even if you don't want their tune)

Interesting. So I currently have an AWE track CB with a Neuspeed DP waiting to be put on. I find the track to be too quiet but also hate drone like my bros wrx invidia something (q300 or r400) CB.

Gonna see if I can live with the track + DP but suspect my sensitive ears will give in after a few weeks. Would you recommend this vibrant resonator over the AWE one for someone who wants it as loud as possible when on the throttle but very tame in terms of drone when just cruising around? Basically want the loudest possible exhaust with the least amount of drone.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Interesting. So I currently have an AWE track CB with a Neuspeed DP waiting to be put on. I find the track to be too quiet but also hate drone like my bros wrx invidia something (q300 or r400) CB.

Gonna see if I can live with the track + DP but suspect my sensitive ears will give in after a few weeks. Would you recommend this vibrant resonator over the AWE one for someone who wants it as loud as possible when on the throttle but very tame in terms of drone when just cruising around? Basically want the loudest possible exhaust with the least amount of drone.

Yes, but you'll want the Vibrant 17950 (3" to match your AWE)

It's so similar to AWE resonator that it kinda makes me wonder if they just re labeled a Vibrant and sold it as their own. But, they claim it's built in house so I'll take their word for it since A: they build nice stuff and B: a resonator is simple to build, just a perforated tune in an empty canister.

What makes the 17950 and AWE's unit so desirable it they have a large enough size (or internal volume) to kill our terrible drone. The main difference being price...$88 vs close to $200

If you wanted it even louder you'd then want to start looking at either a exhaust valve to bypass the muffler or a smaller muffler

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Yes, but you'll want the Vibrant 17950 (3" to match your AWE)

It's so similar to AWE resonator that it kinda makes me wonder if they just re labeled a Vibrant and sold it as their own. But, they claim it's built in house so I'll take their word for it since A: they build nice stuff and B: a resonator is simple to build, just a perforated tune in an empty canister.

What makes the 17950 and AWE's unit so desirable it they have a large enough size (or internal volume) to kill our terrible drone. The main difference being price...$88 vs close to $200

If you wanted it even louder you'd then want to start looking at either a exhaust valve to bypass the muffler or a smaller muffler

Thanks for the info. I was gonna ask why you prefer this over the smaller diameter vibrant 1795 but I assume that one doesn't have adequate volume to kill all the drone?

I think I will go this route off the bat as everyone I've asked who has the track + DP say its unbearable after a while. Plus the AWE one, which seems very similar if not the same, is like $250 :eek: ouch.

Last question: will I also need some extra 304 pipe to weld it on or is the 18" length perfect for the OEM location as is?

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Wow, fun read while watching football and drinking beer.
I bought a resonated catted AWE DP for my TT. Should I swap it for a non-res and buy a Vibrant?

Awaiting instructions.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the info. I was gonna ask why you prefer this over the smaller diameter vibrant 1795 but I assume that one doesn't have adequate volume to kill all the drone?

I think I will go this route off the bat as everyone I've asked who has the track + DP say its unbearable after a while. Plus the AWE one, which seems very similar if not the same, is like $250 :eek: ouch.

Last question: will I also need some extra 304 pipe to weld it on or is the 18" length perfect for the OEM location as is?

Yeah exactly, it takes the biggest Vibrant to tame our drone

The track exhaust you'll be replacing straight 3" tubing so you'll just need to make to cuts and have it welded in.

Wow, fun read while watching football and drinking beer.
I bought a resonated catted AWE DP for my TT. Should I swap it for a non-res and buy a Vibrant?

Awaiting instructions.

I'd just keep drinking. Don't like advice based on experience try the mk7 Facebook page or a sales ad

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Swap a Vibrant 17950 on it. I puts that on everything. [emoji23]

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
I'd just keep drinking. Don't like advice based on experience try the mk7 Facebook page or a sales ad[/QUOTE]

JAKE! It was a serious question. I bought the DP with a Black Friday discount but AWE is taking forever to deliver it. I could call them and change to the non-res version. So seriously, should I do this?
I’m a fan, why the nasty response?
Your Friend Rick

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
El oh el!

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I'd just keep drinking. Don't like advice based on experience try the mk7 Facebook page or a sales ad

JAKE! It was a serious question. I bought the DP with a Black Friday discount but AWE is taking forever to deliver it. I could call them and change to the non-res version. So seriously, should I do this?
Your Friend Rick[/QUOTE]

stock muffler? it will be great.

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
Stock muffler...for now

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Yeah exactly, it takes the biggest Vibrant to tame our drone

The track exhaust you'll be replacing straight 3" tubing so you'll just need to make to cuts and have it welded in.

Thanks for the input.

Ya, stupid me thought that last section was straight and may have been a perfect 18" long but it has a bend to it. Seems easier/cheaper to just have it welded in the track section vs having a new section made with it but I'll see.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
Longer is not always better. I found the Vibrant Ultra Quiet 12"to be better for flow and resonating. BBE Timber Cylinder also a decent unit. I have built a custom valvetronic setup that has true zero drone and I have no resonators just 1 muffler. When opened its a straight pipe setup; so all business when closed and a block party when it's open. I'm just not a fan on the 17950 resonator either.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Your Friend Rick

stock muffler? it will be great.[/QUOTE]

Sorry the "awaiting instructions" threw me off, I'd always suggest skipping the resonator on any dp in favor of a 17930 or 17950 in the stock location

Thanks for the input.

Ya, stupid me thought that last section was straight and may have been a perfect 18" long but it has a bend to it. Seems easier/cheaper to just have it welded in the track section vs having a new section made with it but I'll see.

No, you're correct. No need to buy anything but the resonator. Cut a piece of the straight section just after the DP (in the CBE) and weld in the resonator there,-where the stock on woulda been