GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2018 Golf R MK7.5 - US Release

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I just got an email from a VW dealer saying January or February now and if I was still interested in an R. Obviously I’ve moved on to a 2017 GTI Sport discounts were too good to pass up.

Oh yeah? Watch me pass them up. <passes them up>

Mike B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Dealers are unfortunately totally kept in the dark by VW (and most manufacturers). They make up "theories" as to when a car is available based on a lack of information and the desire to not have the customer get angry when the car is not available by the date they confabulated.

Stinger

Ready to race!
Back in July, I sold my pretty heavily modified mk6 GTI for a '15 Macan S. Earlier in the month my wife had sold her X3 for a 328 hard top convertible which left us without a meaningful trunk for our occasional trips.

I've only had the Macan S a few months but I'm already ready to swap it, most likely for a '18 Golf R, trunk be damned. I'm also looking to go straight to a Stage II without modifying the car as much as I had my GTI which was pretty much track ready but exhausting as a dd on the horrendous Bay Area roads.

Fact is, even in a Porsche I can't drive an automatic, with or without these silly flippers. I grew up driving stick shift sports cars and need that to stay interested. To each his own.

Don't get me wrong, the Macan is ultra comfortable with the fantastic upgraded 18 settings seat; the engine roars like... well, like a Porsche engine does and it's comfy fast and quiet driving up/down Tahoe at 90+ mph listening to Miles' Bitches Brew. BUT... I'm offended by Porsche's $1900 oil changes (because they have to take down the exhaust and drop the engine to reach the spark plugs...wtf?!?) or their $2100 brake jobs. After discovering an oil leak 3 weeks into owning the car I took it to the local dealership which kept the car a month with one thing after another that had to be replaced... Luckily I was at 49500 miles... 500 mile before warranty expiration! I don't even want to think how much this would have cost me out of warranty.

Anyway, to cut this long story short, I'm also waiting impatiently for the '18 R to come out!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
BUT... I'm offended by Porsche's $1900 oil changes (because they have to take down the exhaust and drop the engine to reach the spark plugs...wtf?!?)

How much oil do those spark plugs take?

or their $2100 brake jobs.

So easy to do yourself, especially with fixed calipers.

But seriously, a friend of mine had a Cayenne S as his DD and tow vehicle for his race car, but got rid of it as soon as it went off lease because of those stratospheric maintenance costs.

Neil

Ftrv8

Long time lurker. Looking into trying to get a R, just spoke with Capitol VW in NorCal, and they said no peep from VW yet. Says to get on a waiting list with a deposit. Told the person, to get more info such as (markup, allotment for them etc...). She will call me back.

Anyone have an idea how many Rs on an average a dealership can get. This one is in San Jose, which is a large metro city. But the call with her was, these things get sold before they even hit the lot. Not sure how much of that is true, also I am not a fan of markups, but she
sure mentioned it a few times during the call. Wonder how much they are gonna try to get.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
My GF might take over my GTI payments and I may either jump into the new R or a TT/TTS off a lease. I really hope i'll be able to sit in a new R come June/July.

Ftrv8

$7k over ask?! Geez!

Attachments

• AD7E1C35-024B-4E30-9240-754F810E3F06.jpeg
    AD7E1C35-024B-4E30-9240-754F810E3F06.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 921

SRoads

Ready to race!
$7k over ask?! Geez!

Makes me sick to my stomach...these retarded dealers keep treating the R like a limited production run vehicle... but then again more than 1/2 the customers they upsell one from a gti...would have been perfectly happy with an SEL GTI. First time I walked into the dealer to get an R, they started at 5k over sticker and said DDC was an order only option with a deposit, I told them to pound sand and walked out. They also tried to tell me that they were only making 5000 (total) of them and blue was only available on the first production 2015s and was unavailable for 2016. He did let me test drive the black one they had on the lot, and complemented me on my manual shifting and rev matching....so not a total loss. Three statements from the sales sleaze that where full of shit is my limit. Needless to say that dealer was bought out no less than 2 months later and bought one just below MSRP from the new owner. You can also tell a lot about a dealer from how the arrange they cars on the lot. If all you can see is used stuff that is not VW from the entrance and all the newer stuff is hidden in back...I would recommend not wasting your time. I always ask a salesman 3 questions that I already know the answer too and if all three are incorrect I walk out...and "I don't know, but I will try to find out" is always an acceptable answer to me.

PS. and I call complete bullshit that they have a few "locked up, already". Also, red should have the most markup as it is the rarest color. A..holes

PSS...for 48-50 R, I would just consider stepping up to an RS audi...if you can swing the cash because it is 15K more of a car to me at least. Somewhere in Cali or Oregon you will be able to find some dealer at MSRP at least.

Last edited:

KlipZ

Ready to race!
+$5k to $7k over MSRP!?! What the actual hell are they thinking?

I wouldn't even pay MSRP for an R. Knock $1k-$2k off and we'll start talking and see how nice they want to treat my trade-in. Even for MSRP though im walking. I'll take my $40k elsewhere or wait 6 months for a used with <10k miles.

COSturmWolke

Ready to race!
Agreed sir! Moving on to the next stealership.

I really hope that nobody is actually paying that much over MSRP. It’s a great car, but that would be a terrible decision. Despite how much I am looking forward to my R, I would walk if they charge anything above MSRP. Crazy.

Ftrv8

Another stealership in NorCal.

Note the “market adjustment”.

Something else.

Not even ‘18

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRoads

Ready to race!
Dude...if you keep posted this sh*t, I'm going to lose it....:D...I need another drink. It's only monday night....

Use a site carguru.com and see how long those overpriced cars have been sitting on the lot...more than 90 days use it your advantage. 180 days...you should defiantly get MSRP minimum.

One on the lot in Huntington Beach for over 300 days....

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=166320666

Last edited: