GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unintended consequences

Hammertime

Passed Driver's Ed
Recently did a APR Stage 1 flash, and TCU tune. Stock I would normally average about 34.5 MPG Highway, 70MPH or so. Now Ive just taken two 300 mile round trips and both times my Average MPG was 38.2. Im driving the same, cruise etc. I really did not expect any increase in milage......sweet....nice surprise.

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Amazing isn't it? I don't know how or why, but my old APR tuned VWs both got increased mpg after the APR tune. Its really sweet.

I'm currently running a piggyback on my mk7, and it does not improve mileage.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Stock tune runs rich, most tuners lean it out and that increases gas mileage. They do a few other things here and there which help as well.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
On two 300 mile round trips you'd have to be blasting it the whole time to get mid-twenties Ghosty.

Cruising at 75 mph nets mid thirties on long trips and you can touch 90 whenever you want without putting much of a dent in the mileage.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
On two 300 mile round trips you'd have to be blasting it the whole time to get mid-twenties Ghosty.

Cruising at 75 mph nets mid thirties on long trips and you can touch 90 whenever you want without putting much of a dent in the mileage.

I got low thirties driving to NY and back but I was going 85 to 90 the whole way.

I should get a tune at least I’d get some use out of it. I’d get worse gas mileage not better

adam1991

Banned
An unintended consequence of my buying a GTI in the first place is, I've got a mk8 R penciled on my to-do list.

You tune your way, I'll tune mine...

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
Don't be so mean Ghosty, it's not becoming. :p
The average GTI driver

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hammertime

Passed Driver's Ed
grannies?

man you guys must drive like a bunch of old grannies. I get 26 in mixed driving
not necessarily so. Coming across Utah on I-70, keeping up with traffic cruise set at 100....34.6 MPG. Eastern Wyoming N0-So on 85, same story. Haven't taken these high speed trips with this tune....yet Wondering what I'll see. BTW, my wife IS a Granny (64) she regularly does 110+ on these same stretches. After my 110 in a 55 ticket last year, I am the more sane driver....cant afford another tick like that.

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Are you all basing these numbers on the trip computer, or are you doing manual calculations based on tank by tank fillups, or even better, long tern cumulative manual calculations based on multiple fiillups? The latter are the only true accurate measure of your fuel efficiency.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Are you all basing these numbers on the trip computer, or are you doing manual calculations based on tank by tank fillups, or even better, long tern cumulative manual calculations based on multiple fiillups? The latter are the only true accurate measure of your fuel efficiency.
Trip computer. Downhill. With a tailwind.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk