GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's the next best thing I can do after a APR stage 1 tune?

Muzdub

Ready to race!
Is38 + bbk

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Are smog testers required to check for physical signs of non-compliance, other than smog measurements themselves?

Yes they don't just plug in ODB and sniffer and call it a day. They must do a physical check. This is where they also get us on CARB certified intakes. But intakes are easy to trade out before a test

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
But Smog testers generally don't go poking around in your engine bay do they?

In California? Oh hell yes. Years ago I had a buddy who had a 2-liter 16V swap into his formerly stock 1.8L 16v. The motors are virtually identical externally. Some smog test nazi whipped out a book that had diagrams of what engines should look like and started snooping for signs of modification. He wound up spotting some hose that's routed slightly differently on the 2L motor, and immediately failed his ass. What a joke. So glad I don't deal with that crap any more since moving to Arizona.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
In California? Oh hell yes. Years ago I had a buddy who had a 2-liter 16V swap into his formerly stock 1.8L 16v. The motors are virtually identical externally. Some smog test nazi whipped out a book that had diagrams of what engines should look like and started snooping for signs of modification. He wound up spotting some hose that's routed slightly differently on the 2L motor, and immediately failed his ass. What a joke. So glad I don't deal with that crap any more since moving to Arizona.
Yup I'm from San Diego but got smart and moved to Arizona to a place where we don't have smog. Back in the day when I lived in SD I knew people that would pass modified cars but times and rules/law's have changed there so your pretty much screwed probably. What part of Arizona are you in

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

kkingma

Ready to race!

Damn! How often do you have to get I inspected in CA?
I'm in WA and apparently we don't care. Just a OBD and sniff

mkygod

Ready to race!

Damn, does that mean if I have a JB1 installed, I have to remove it everytime i do a Smog check? That would be a bit of a pain. That would almost make me want to go w/ a tune over a JB1.

Or maybe i can ask some of my friends if they know a guy...

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
Damn, does that mean if I have a JB1 installed, I have to remove it everytime i do a Smog check? That would be a bit of a pain. That would almost make me want to go w/ a tune over a JB1.

If you live in California then absolutely remove it before Smog. I would also do the same for a flash as sometimes they can fail sniffer.

Either way you need to prep your car before you go in. Easiest option would be something like Cobb, eurodyne or Uniconnect as you are the one flashing.

I personally I have Cobb

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie

Taking it off every couple years doesn't seem to difficult?

sent using Pide Piper middle out compression app

bpw

Ready to race!
Could you hack the cat out of your stocker DP and weld it into a cat less pipe? It won't be a high flow cat so may be pointless Just an idea... if one more person says clutch I'm gonna snap.

Give serious consideration to tires, I finally upgraded mine and made a huge difference. The stock ones blow. I think that would be the best way to enjoy your tune.