GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Pacific German | Mk7 GTI Race Car Build Thread

Pacific German1

Ready to race!
Back in October we had the opportunity to run our GTI in the EuropeanCar Continental Tire GP event that they put on yearly. This event was strictly for European 2.0t (or smaller) engines, meaning it opened the class to VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. We missed the 2015 event which was specifically Golf / GTI; that would have been a great event with our car, but we were not within the rules for the event . Both of these GPs had strict rules in that the car entered must be in street legal trim - full interior, no welded in roll cages or race cars allowed. This was a tough call, and with only a few weeks until the event in November, we had to get moving on converting our GTI back to a street car if we wanted to compete.

We picked up a plasma cutter and had the roll cage out within a few hours. Actually we had the entire interior back into the car over a weekend. The GP event did allow for aftermarket bucket seats for safety, and since we no longer had a roll cage to mount the harness belts to, and not enough time for a custom solution, we sourced a set of Schroth QuickFit Pro harnesses as these are HANS device compatible.

The event was made up of two days, the first being a track day at Streets of Willow in Rosamond, CA, and the second day being a dyno day at World Motorsports in Torrance, CA. Each car was given a set of Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires to use through the two days. These are considered a summer performance tire and similar to a Michelin PSS or Pirelli PZero compound.

The first day of the event we met at Willow Springs to see which car would run the fastest around the track. We have ran Streets of Willow a few times in the past in the GTI, but only on soft compound slick tires. It was quite the challenge to run the car on street tires, since the track is a technical one compared to the Big Willow track next door. Most of the track is ran in 2nd or 3rd gear, which we fought traction with the entire day. Looking back at it, there were really only two straights where we could really wring out the car and put the power down. This is certainly not the track for big powered front wheel drive cars on street tires. :D The all wheel drive S3 of 034 Motorsports that took first place managed to run less than 1.4 seconds quicker than us around the track, which really isn't too bad considering the conditions.

The second day we were scheduled second to run our car on the World Motorsports Mustang Wind Tunnel Dyno Cell. We took first place in the dyno segment with a whopping 485hp / 392ftlbs at the front wheels. Its no wonder we fought traction the day before!

Overall we had a great time at the event being our first GP and we're excited for the next.

It was a really difficult decision to convert our car back to street trim, but ultimately its made sense after weighing out the options. We achieved some goals with this car, it had received positive feedback from events and media. Now that the car is back in street trim, we do have some changes coming for this years show season and events. It is really still a blast to drive even on the streets with all of the go fast bits and suspension parts!

Photos by EuropeanCar Magazine - link to article http://www.superstreetonline.com/ev...-continental-tire-2-0t-tuner-gp-2016-results/

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Loving this build!!

Must have vids!!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Those dyno numbers, holy smokes!! Great work, really impressive what y'all have managed to accomplish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yosoydan

Ready to race!
I love everything about this build. My jiujitsu instructor loves motorsport racing and I can't wait to show him this GTI when I get back there :)

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
New goodies, fresh from Neuspeed. Race 27mm rear swaybar kit with endlinks and their front 25mm bar.

The rear is installed, I snapped some better quality photos but having a hard time uploading them. (new camera)

More track days to come soon. :)

What are your thoughts on the 27mm rear bar for street and non-competitive hpde use?

Unreal1

Autocross Champion
I'd suggest the 25mm rear bar if you have a stock front bar still, or have relatively stock suspension / wheels / tires.

The 27mm rear bar may be too much for an otherwise stock car.

Appreciate the feedback, I'm mostly stock and won't be changing my fsb anytime soon so I'll go with a smaller option.

Awesome build, learned a lot reading through it.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
Couple questions...

The CTS billet Oil filter housing... does it actually provide significant cooling to the oil? Reason I ask is because if it does... this would be a cheap easy mod that everyone should do when they change their oil.

On that note... Have you replaced the DSG filter housing with an aluminum one? This one is not as accessible as the oil filter housing.

The Revo intake box lid. Does this mean that you're going back to the the panel filter setup instead of a cone filter? How would the Revo intake box lid compare to the Autotech intake box lid? Looking at the pictures, it looks like the autotech has a larger volume than the Revo. If I'm not mistaken, you had the Autotech box lid before. What prompted the change to CTS and now the change to Revo?

Pacific German1

Ready to race!
How's the CTS Front Mount Intercooler holding up to the bigger turbo?

Intake temps are still looking good! It can handle it, its a nice core.

Couple questions...

The CTS billet Oil filter housing... does it actually provide significant cooling to the oil? Reason I ask is because if it does... this would be a cheap easy mod that everyone should do when they change their oil.

On that note... Have you replaced the DSG filter housing with an aluminum one? This one is not as accessible as the oil filter housing.

The Revo intake box lid. Does this mean that you're going back to the the panel filter setup instead of a cone filter? How would the Revo intake box lid compare to the Autotech intake box lid? Looking at the pictures, it looks like the autotech has a larger volume than the Revo. If I'm not mistaken, you had the Autotech box lid before. What prompted the change to CTS and now the change to Revo?

We have the oil filter housings, they have fins integrated to act as heat sinks. It is not going to make a tremendous temperature difference, as their is no air being rammed directly to either location. But as a heat sink they should help. On a side note they are worthwhile replacements as the factory plastic housings over time will distort and eventually crack or leak.

Yes we have the Revo panel filter with their intake system on the car. Believe it or not, Revo made more power through testing with this setup versus a cone. We've ran the Autotech, CTS, and now the Revo. All three are great systems, the Revo has the largest inlet all the way into the turbo as this airbox lid is a larger diamater, and includes a silicone hose with a special turbo inlet flange for direct air flow. This is needed for the Revo TTR turbokit to get all the air that it can.

Hey Pacific German,

How's that DSG snorkel box working out for you?

Excellent, since install we've had no issues with DSG fluid 'weeping' out of the breather cap that occurs on almost every DSG MK5-7 that goes around the track. Keep the fluid where it belongs!