GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDELEVEN

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I saw that too, but I think it's only for the automatic. I checked my car half an hour ago, and the DSG only has 2 Bytes ("0014" I think) in the long coding, compared to their numerous Bytes. I don't feel safe trying to change the bits one by one until it achieves the goal either lol.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

NeedSleep: Just a piece of added information for those that have a module @ address hex02 with the code-string 0014: My RoW car has this SAME code-string and my car shows the gear number. All the hex02 modules in my database for cars around the world has this SAME code-string including about 10 x NAR models - REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE GEAR NUMBER IS DISPLAYED

Conclusion - if your NAR car has a autotrans module with the code-string 0014 - then it is extremely unlikely, very low probability, that changing the code will work (and it carries a risk) .

Again, as I have suggested in other forums - taking tweaks from a particular module and applying it to a different module is inherently risky and extreme caution should be exercised. In this case, given the fact above, think twice about playing with the code-string - IMO the down-side risk is much higher that the unknown, and likely low probability of an upside benefit!

There has been much discussion about this matter and the accepted wisdom (which I happen to believe) is that the gear number display for these 0014 modules is embedded in the firmware (it's not something that can be accessed in adaptation channels, or code-string). Wanting the solution to be otherwise, wont make it so!! :)

Don

Last edited:

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
NeedSleep: Just a piece of added information for those that have a module @ address hex02 with the code-string 0014: My RoW car has this SAME code-string and my car shows the gear number. All the hex02 modules in my database for cars around the world has this SAME code-string including about 10 x NAR models - REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE GEAR NUMBER IS DISPLAYED

Conclusion - if your NAR car has a autotrans module with the code-string 0014 - then it is extremely unlikely, very low probability, that changing the code will work (and it carries a risk) .

Again, as I have suggested in other forums - taking tweaks from a particular module and applying it to a different module is inherently risky and extreme caution should be exercised. In this case, given the fact above, think twice about playing with the code-string - IMO the down-side risk is much higher that the unknown, and likely low probability of an upside benefit!

There has been much discussion about this matter and the accepted wisdom (which I happen to believe) is that the gear number display for these 0014 modules is embedded in the firmware (it's not something that can be accessed in adaptation channels, or code-string). Wanting the solution to be otherwise, wont make it so!! :)

Don
Don,

I hope you don't mind I shared your wisdom in another thread about this particular topic as a lot folks have been asking about DSG coding.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG

Don

Don, that's what I figured as well since I've seen posts from other forums about this. I know that tunes in the NAR market enable the gear display, which led me to believe it's a firmware issue.

I also have no intention of tinkering with the code without more knowledge about what I'm looking at due to the high risk of something going wrong, whether it be immediate or not.

But as always, thank you for the information you give us here. Your collection of posts is a goldmine!

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I have a suspicion that I already know the answer to this, but does anyone know if the ESC button can be programmed to go ESC Off first, then hold for ESC Sport? I know there's an option for one-click ESC Off, but I would like to retain ESC Sport as well.

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
You'll need to see this post for a reason why it may not be possible to achieve what you'd like: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=476446

I responded in the post immediately after that.

However....our cars do have physical key locks, though it looks unsightly when exposed. Without them, a dead key fob battery would leave us stranded. See this video on how to access that hidden lock: https://youtu.be/IM8Wh2s_ALo

I read that, but didn't understand the deadlock comment. So essentially the door latch won't close on the door post, if the door is locked? It will stay in the open position? I can understand dead locking in the latched position, but in the unlatched position...not really. It's just a catch mechanism on the rotating latch piece that is probably spring loaded so that it takes no power to engage. Releasing it would take power to pull back a solenoid.

The video explains the door lock. I was wondering how you get in a car with a dead battery or dead fob. Why hide the key hole? Just put a pretty bezel on it and leave it exposed all the time. I flat out don't get hiding the key lock. That's not any kind of "protection" from anything other than ignorance of its existence. On every car before this, I never unlocked or locked with the key fob. Hiding the lock is stupid IMHO...and a huge security hole to take away this option.

Thanks for the information.

I suppose finding an after market lock bezel is an answer, but I still want to hit the lock button inside the car and then close the door.

Last edited:

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I read that, but didn't understand the deadlock comment. So essentially the door latch won't close on the door post, if the door is locked? It will stay in the open position? I can understand dead locking in the latched position, but in the unlatched position...not really. It's just a catch mechanism on the rotating latch piece that is probably spring loaded so that it takes no power to engage. Releasing it would take power to pull back a solenoid.

You could actually think of the mechanism on the golf doors like a deadbolt on the front door of a house. If we had the ability to lock the car while the doors are open, the hooks in the door would lock in place. When you try closing the doors, the locked hook would simply rebound from the striker found on the body of the car. In a deadbolt, the lock would rebound from the door frame. This is why I sort of panicked when a hook locked on me while I was wiping down my car at the car wash *big thud of door lock against striker*

*Sorry for any incorrect terms I used. I'm more familiar with software, not hardware.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Any help with this? This was working the other day. I wanted to change my digital speedo to KMH since I'm going to Canada for the weekend and now I can't.

It also can't connect to the radio.

I updated the app this morning. Prior to the app download it worked the other day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Any help with this? This was working the other day. I wanted to change my digital speedo to KMH since I'm going to Canada for the weekend and now I can't.

It also can't connect to the radio.

I updated the app this morning. Prior to the app download it worked the other day

crxgator: I definitely don't like Apps and I won't under any reason whatsoever, ever use them!

Anyhow, how does the screenshot below look on your car (particularly the "speed" entry)?

(it's from the coding part of the Dashboard module @ address hex17)

Don

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I wasn't using an obd11 app, I was updating the actual obd11 app itself. This is an error code I'm getting. Obd11 can't connect to my dashboard or radio.

heydabop

Passed Driver's Ed
I definitely don't like Apps and I won't under any reason whatsoever, ever use them!

As someone who's about to get their dongle in the mail, may I ask why? Hides too much from you and is difficult to diagnose if/when something goes wrong? And of course the "credits".

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
As someone who's about to get their dongle in the mail, may I ask why? Hides too much from you and is difficult to diagnose if/when something goes wrong? And of course the "credits".
This mainly. Apps are pretty much scripts for a very specific model and module setup. If/when they go wrong, you're basically tracking blind to figure out what was modified.

heydabop

Passed Driver's Ed
This mainly. Apps are pretty much scripts for a very specific model and module setup. If/when they go wrong, you're basically tracking blind to figure out what was modified.

Dang, that's kind of annoying. Guess I should buy the Pro app too. Thanks!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I wasn't using an obd11 app, I was updating the actual obd11 app itself. This is an error code I'm getting. Obd11 can't connect to my dashboard or radio.

crxyator: Try first clearing the App cache on your tablet/mobile phone - then restart OBD11 software.

Don

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Dang, that's kind of annoying. Guess I should buy the Pro app too. Thanks!

heydabop: No - it ain't annoying at all!

Apps can be handy for those that are prepared to take the risk. Lots of times the App does work, but when the brown stuff hits the fan (as srpinks says) you are left without a detailed record of the specific changes that were made to your control modules. This means that the problem of reverting the settings back to factory values become a lot more difficult.

But by far the biggest issue with Apps is that the user loses the opportunity to learn how to navigate around the car's CAN network. Sure, devices like OBD11 don't require the user to be a CAN bus expert, but it is useful to understand some basic stuff. Apps - by their definition, tend to remove the opportunity to learn and the user pays credits to be denied these opportunities

So- when the user is confronted with dodgy effects from an App, he/she gets hit with a double-whammy: 1st - the OBD11 history file contains almost zero records of what changes were made - and 2nd, the OBD11 user is invariably without the knowledge of how to proceed!

Moral of the story - put in the extra effort to learn how to implement tweaks manually because this investment in your understanding will pay dividends when (not "if") the tweak goes pear shape.

Don

PS:... and a further suggestion - try an make at least a few errors early in your OBD11 education. It's by far the very best learning tool!!