GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
If they wouldn't be that prohibitively outrageously expensive. :D

Thanks for sharing your findings, Sandman!
I'm wondering how many people are suffering from the same issue
while they're not knowing about the reason.
Sadly without doing some research I can't say if these bolts and/
or the nut need to be replaced each time, but I wouldn't lose sleep
over it in your case.

Thanks BB.
The Supaloy LCA is worth it to me as the OE one is weak.
I think the Red ECS Tuning Bushing kit they sell for OE replacement is a good option and either is a must I think in time.

Can you confirm that I used the right spec on torque?
Top nut for shocks - 60nm.
Spring Mount Bolts - 15nm (+90deg turn)
Wanted to make sure.

Thanks

gdfraser

Ready to race!
Sandman much happier today!:)

View attachment 16428

Just as an FYI, the torque wrench should be positioned 90 degrees relative to the tool when using something like that or a crowsfoot etc. The shock top nut will be overtorqued doing it the way you pictured (you are effectively increasing the lever length/arm of the wrench). There is a formula you can use to mitigate this by taking into account the extra length if you prefer to do it that way. Myself I find it easier just to make sure the torque wrench is at 90 degrees to the extension.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Just as an FYI, the torque wrench should be positioned 90 degrees relative to the tool when using something like that or a crowsfoot etc. The shock top nut will be overtorqued doing it the way you pictured (you are effectively increasing the lever length/arm of the wrench). There is a formula you can use to mitigate this by taking into account the extra length if you prefer to do it that way. Myself I find it easier just to make sure the torque wrench is at 90 degrees to the extension.

Pulled the specialty tool out and reread the instructions.
I see my error. Thanks for feedback.
Read it the other day after work but I guess it did not register.
Will redo!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Dyna Blink
Directional turn signals.

Received a few weeks ago from Urotuning.
Cost $194.

I see ECS Tuning now also sells for similar price.

Had time yesterday and installed.
Install is very easy and below I linked a new DIY video to help.
To make sure I did not drop the small screws I held a magnet to the when removing. Use two interior tools to pull bottom lip of mirror out and OE light will pop out. Dyna Blinks are well made. Work and look great.
Small change in day but still getting used to all black mirrors.

See how you like.

https://youtu.be/uzGzea1_2gA

https://youtu.be/YDjOqopLGIE

https://youtu.be/-IcJqSPQ9nw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
ECS Tuning - Carbon Fiber battery cover with metal box.

After 2 years, decided to do up the battery and replace the felt box.
The fist box from ECS arrived a good while back but the top did not fit the bottom. The metal box was bent a little wide. Also all 3 clips were bolted low on metal box. This meant they did not clip the lid correctly. Called and returned. Ask them to inspect and verify the replacement. 3 weeks later (had to wait for shipment from China). Lid I think is from China as the metal box has info made in Wisconsin town. Guess that is why they did not fit. The second box fit and installed today. I also purchase an insulation jacket the wrap battery to help protect. The ECS box is made from heavy gauge sheet metal with textured finish. CF cap is thick and looks good. For now!
I removed battery to wrap but you can just unhook the two cables, not move battery and slide the box parts in. Two tabs toward driver hold the back in place. A bolt holds the front and uses the bolt location one would use if you purchased a larger battery. The lid slides on while you hold clips back. The box has a front slit for negative cable with room for piggy back module inside for some of you. The box is a little larger than battery. Leaves an air gap at front and along the left side of car toward engine. Right side sits flush.

I like it.
Now we will see how CF holds up in engine bay.
PS. No the OE blanket can not be used also. I think too thick for the right side sitting flush with battery. I did not try but might be tight if it works.

Pics.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
More ECS Tuning Carbon Fiber Battery box pics.

Showing insulation used.

Only issue is the front clip does not fit perfect. The two sides are mounted correctly. What to do. Return again?
I might see if I can raise the clip a little and bolt in place. Hate to spend time returning again. So close.

Now just need fuse box cover. 034 sells a nice one.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Tire inflator.
This morning I had the air pressure alert come up.
Based on time I knew it might be from normal air loss over time.
Gave me a chance to test my new air pump. Not fancy but purchased from Walmart. I think it was in the upper $30 range. The cord and hose fit up inside the unit from the bottom. Cord is a good length and hose easy to screw on. Set the pressure to what you want. It displays current pressure (all 4 down 2psi). Press start and it inflates and stops. Each time was .5psi over target. This is good for me as I can then check with gauge and deflate down to 37psi. Reset alarm, all good.
Cord and hose fit back inside. Inflator also has white LED light and red LED flashers with two speeds.

FYI if in need of one.
I liked this one.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The GTI is in for 40,000 mile service.
I had a 1PM apt Wednesday and was going to wait. (3hr round trip). Service called and said they would need an AM apt or the car left over night as the DSG oil needed to cool before changing.
I dropped off and they had a Passatt loaner. Not a bad car. Has a 1.8L TSI.

I noticed it has a red ring 12V outlet. I know some have wanted red. I guess check on a Passatt part if interested.
I also find the analog clock on dash a waste. Hard to see unless you are the rear center passenger. If radio off you also now have two analog clocks. Odd.

Excuse the dirt.
Have not had a chance to clean my loaner!

Last edited:

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
The GTI is in for 40,000 mile service.
I had a 1PM apt Wednesday and was going to wait. (3hr round trip). Service called and said they would need an. AM apt or the car left over night as the DSG oil needed to cool before changing.
I dropped off and they had a Passatt loaner. Not a bad car. I think it has the older 2.0TSI engine.

I noticed it has a red ring 12V outlet. I know some have wanted red. I guess check on a Passatt part if interested.
I also find the analog clock on dash a waste. Hard to see unless you are the rear center passenger. If radio off you also now have two analog clocks. Odd.

Pics coming.
Will not load now.

Wow sandman you drive alot! I just hit 10k and that's after almost a year and a half of ownership.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Wow sandman you drive alot! I just hit 10k and that's after almost a year and a half of ownership.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yes!
We take it when driving back Alabama, Wife's home.
Dogs go along in their back seat tube.
Also any time we go to big city we take it.