GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Almost zero NVH increase with these. I'm pretty sensitive, so I feel confident about that. Excited to hear driving impressions. Turn in is loads better.

Dealer called and said car was ready.
I will pick up Saturday AM.
Randy, the Service Agent I deal with said the Mechanic took it for a test drive and said "Wow!" He was surprised how much it helped with ride and noise. Good to hear if it impressed a Mechanic. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Great thread!

I also had issues with the ECS HD strut mounts and Eibach springs (noise on bumps). Did the 034 kit take care of that issue? It's driving me bananas.

I can't tell if it's the struts, bonded sway bushings, or LCA bushings... End links are fine.

I've noticed on their page 034 now advertises that their mounts fix the squeaking on the mk7 platform. I ordered some so here's hoping.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Great thread!

I also had issues with the ECS HD strut mounts and Eibach springs (noise on bumps). Did the 034 kit take care of that issue? It's driving me bananas.

I can't tell if it's the struts, bonded sway bushings, or LCA bushings... End links are fine.

I've noticed on their page 034 now advertises that their mounts fix the squeaking on the mk7 platform. I ordered some so here's hoping.

I will not say the 034's are perfectly noise free but I still feel they are the best spring mount we can install at this time. I can sometimes hear a slow creaking noise on slow long bumps. I think this is the rubber coating rubbing on the plastic spring bearing. Other wise they are good so far after about 3-4 months. Still early. I just today had the Lower Control Arms replaced. ECS was back ordered on their Steel arms with red bushings. I could have purchased just bushings and had them pressed in. I decided to go big and install Supaloy Control Arms. I have not driven yet but heard good feedback from others and the mechanic who installed. Pics below. Not my car but same look. 44% lighter and stronger than they might look. A solid feel.

I also heard 034 is developing a new Heavy Duty Spring bearing. Not for sale yet but 4 months ago was in field being tested. You might call and ask them for an update. If they have and it looks good I would try if doing the work.

The only thing I might try if you replace the mount, Forum Member "JC Edmonton" recently installed new springs and used the ECS mount. I researched using lube on the mount and bearing but felt the extra lube might attract dirt and make it worse. JC applied a thin layer of lithium grease I thing to the bearing back were is mounts to rubber mount and a thin layer on spring mount saddle where spring bearing sits. Maybe a light layer on the bearing surface the spring sits on.

Might be worth a try to help with my low creak I sometimes hear.

I would just apply lightly. Do not think it would hurt much.

Hope that helps.

IMG_3460.JPG

IMG_3459.JPG

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
That's a good idea, I have some lithium grease lying around, so might as well. I'm curious to hear how you like those control arms, I'm strongly considering them in the future.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Supaloy Lower Control Arms installed.

History:
Car has 36,000 miles on it.
13,000 at stock height.
Lowered on Eibach ProKit Springs. Also used ECS HD spring mounts and new bearings and bolts.
After 10 month Right bearing very noisy.
Had German Autohaus in Chattanooga replace mounts and bearings. Mounts used 034 Motorsports and SKF bearing. Now about 4 months later front developed a noisy rattle over most all bumps and rough surfaces. At first it was thought to be front sway bar bushings. I purchased set from Eibach. I installed rear and had VW Dealer install front as alignment needed. I ask them to have Mechanic test drive first so he could help identify issue. In Drive, by himself he noticed a lesser sound instead of the louder sound so proceeded with front sway bar change. After I drove and quickly realized the sway bar was not the issues. Took Mechanic for drive and after putting back on lift, he found the rear bushing in front control arms were bad. You could see marks from the arms hitting. Wanted to go with ECS new arms with red bushings. Not available until June 21st. ECS is known to slip dates also. So I ordered Supaloy arms thru ECS. Shipped to me in 2 days.
Installed on Friday. I picked car up today.

The GTI will never ride like a Passat style sedan, as it is built for sport driving. So with that said here are my feelings and observations.

The recent hitting of control arms is gone.
The front control arms are now quite and go unnoticed now, which is what they should do. The arms are solid and feel like they do better at transferring road imperfections to the front springs and shocks so the imperfections can be absorbed. Even when stock the front suspension always felt like the metal and rubber parts of the suspension were trying to help absorb impacts and not transferring them to the springs. Therefore the springs felt of less use and stiff. Now the arms are solid and the springs are now doing their job. Ride is very good. surprisingly the NVH did not increase. I was also surprised that the difference in NVH in each DCC driving mode is less. Before it felt like it jumped 50% with each step up to Sport. Now each increases maybe 10% -15%.
A big test was when back home I pulled into Burger King which is located by our small mall. The road to it is terrible and often avoided by me especially with recent control arm noise. I was halfway thru parking lot when I remembered where I was at. Was surprised how much better the ride was. After leaving, also noticed I was still in Sport mode from a narrow twisty ride home from Chattanooga. So for sport mode it was riding well.

Bottom Line:
They are good and solid. Will see how long they last.
There are lower cost options like pressing new bushings in and buying arms from ECS Tuning with bushings install. (if you can wait). I would make this change for sure if lowered. If stock wait till warranty is up and then change if they do not tear before 36,000. I would strongly suggest upgrading the LC Arms when installing lowering springs. Best time to do.

Are Supaloy worth $800?
Maybe not but my GTI is also my project toy.
They weigh 44% less so will also help suspension feel.
For me it was worth it. I suggest others do this or at least upgrade the bushings in the LC Arms.

If questions please ask.

Some driving home shots. With all our rain we have more waterfalls.
There is a larger one nearby. Just stopped for one. Wanted to drive. [emoji3]

What was installed. Example pic on car.

https://youtu.be/4Lh3MeJRRF8

https://youtu.be/FwBmVK-0Sf8

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Glad you got good results, what did you do for front sway bar end links?

034 Motorsports front and rear end links. Only one better I have seen is VWRacing. It is a gray or light blue color. Only reason might be better is bolts look like a slightly better design. However 034's are $250 a set of fronts and VWR is just over $300.

Front end link is in top pic. Longer.

http://uspmotorsports-gwh9ams6nbbjfe6jki.stackpathdns.com/images/D/1-189.jpg

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Nice spherical joints! I went with superpro because they are apparently the quietest and very inexpensive

Not a lot of experience with them but for the 034 and VWR links to have noise the joint wound have to develop play somehow. New they rotate with no gap at all. So far no sounds from them or the sway bars.

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion
Great thread!

i switched from ecs to 034 and it fixed the squeaking over bumps

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
Not a lot of experience with them but for the 034 and VWR links to have noise the joint wound have to develop play somehow. New the rotate with no gap at all. So far no sounds from them or the sway bars.

Yea I wasn't to sure about the noise thing, but I've read people say that *in theory* spherical can make noise. In reality I chose based on price, and superpros reputation. I'm going to be installing their sways at some point so I figured I'd be consistent.
i switched from ecs to 034 and it fixed the squeaking over bumps
Glad to hear it! I just got mine in the mail yesterday and the design is clearly different than ECS/OEM. All the voids are filled with rubber, and their is a rubberized coating on the entire thing. I'll install them in the next few weeks, fingers crossed.