GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SABO's MK7

sandman1979

Found a perfect mount.

• Size covers completely the air bag warning. yet it doesn't overhang the trim piece.

• Nice quality with polished ring. Without the phone, looks like it belongs with car

• Thickness appears sufficient to clear the dash (possibly may need to add one extra layer of 3M tape to be able to rotate freely).

• Vents - iphone only blocks a small part in vertical orientation, horizontal of course about half of each vent, but don't mind.

I will post a full install with links once I get the light switch installed and everything can go back in .

Where did you buy this?

sabo

Ready to race!
More Soundskins - Doors

Both front door now complete. Covered about 75% of outer shell and, well, you can see the inner coverage. 2 more doors to go.

Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• Soundskins Before & After 5.jpg
    Soundskins Before & After 5.jpg
    576 KB · Views: 2,196
Last edited:

sandman1979

See post #105. Link is there.

Found it! Somehow overlooked it. TY!

BTW, may I suggest that you provide the links on your #3 post to each upgrade you have done? That way instead of scanning dozens of posts, we can simply click and get to the one we are looking for.

Very awesome stuff you've done btw!
Brian

sabo

Ready to race!
Found it! Somehow overlooked it. TY!

BTW, may I suggest that you provide the links on your #3 post to each upgrade you have done? That way instead of scanning dozens of posts, we can simply click and get to the one we are looking for.

Very awesome stuff you've done btw!
Brian

not amazon. would if i could. site not that sophisticated. need separate topics to do that (as i'm aware). can link to page only, which is only half useful. my mods are listed in order and numbered....wild guess prob faster out of 10 pages. glad my journal was useful.

Last edited:

KingBowser

Ready to race!
not amazon. would if i could brother. site not that sophisticated.

False... It's actually super easy to link to exact posts. This forum template is used across a ton of forums and is actually quite "sophisticated"

To link a specific post you just right click on the post number and select copy url, then you have the link to it. For example, here is the link to the post asking for links: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=366657&postcount=158

sabo

Ready to race!
False... It's actually super easy to link to exact posts. This forum template is used across a ton of forums and is actually quite "sophisticated"

To link a specific post you just right click on the post number and select copy url, then you have the link to it. For example, here is the link to the post asking for links: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=366657&postcount=158

stand corrected. i tried that on the body and would just get 'page' link..exactly why i wrote (as i'm aware)......didn't know you had to on the number....thanks! guess i'm the one not that 'sophisticated'.....ill stick to modding...:p

Last edited:

Derf

Ready to race!
I know it's hard to do before/after comparisons on sound deadening, or even side by side in your and another's car. It's also hard to be subjective when you've spent a few bills and a few hours ripping up panels and carpet to apply those butyl panels to the sheet metal, because subconsciously you really want to believe it was worth it.
That aside, how would you rate the improvement? Night and day? On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 a normal ride and 1 total silence, where has the volume fallen to?
If VW offered a "quiet car" package, how much would you think it would be worth to achieve your results or better?

Lastly, do you think aside from doing everything there are any areas that should be targeted for the best bang for the buck improvement?

sabo

Ready to race!
I know it's hard to do before/after comparisons on sound deadening, or even side by side in your and another's car. It's also hard to be subjective when you've spent a few bills and a few hours ripping up panels and carpet to apply those butyl panels to the sheet metal, because subconsciously you really want to believe it was worth it.
That aside, how would you rate the improvement? Night and day? On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 a normal ride and 1 total silence, where has the volume fallen to?
If VW offered a "quiet car" package, how much would you think it would be worth to achieve your results or better?

Lastly, do you think aside from doing everything there are any areas that should be targeted for the best bang for the buck improvement?

I agree with you completely on the potential for the placebo effect. Without doing some before and after sound testing, its all in the ear of the beholder. I will need to wait until after all the doors are complete (only did one so far) to give my complete review, however what I can say is that on the driver's door and hatch, the click and thud of the door opening/closing is definitely different (better). Now, how that translates to interior improvement, well let's see. I have noted my normal radio volume settings and will see if I can lower after the doors are complete.

In the hatch, I can say the floor and wheel wells had major tinky-ness (i know not a word) when tapped with my nails. In fact the heat shield underneath made (and still does to some degree) major vibrations to the floor. So this will be completely deadened...Im going under the car to find this loose area also...

The noises I noticed most prior to install were stones and such on the rear and wheel wells. So far, with very limited driving, they are reduced. I'll get a better idea when they start laying sand for winter road treatment...

I should complete in the next couple weeks.

Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
38. Shorty's Custom OEM Short Shifter Upgrades

38. Shorty's Custom OEM Short Shifter Upgrades

Mod: If you've scanned my whole build, you would have seen I installed a Dieselgeek short shifter some time ago. The Dieselgeek is a great short shifter, that IMO when paired with a weighted (>400 g) shift knob, yields a wonderful engaging, notchy short shift. That said, you do lose some of the quiet smoothness of the OEM shifter. This mod is about the best of both of these shifters - Buttery feel of OEM, plus a nice 20-30% throw reduction.

That's where Shorty (forum member SK VeeDubR) comes to the rescue. Please visit his build or his facebook page - Shorty's Shift Lever for more information.

What:
- Used either stock or OEM audi S3 shift lever
- Customized to include a shorter pin position
- Upgraded the plastic OEM relay lever to OEM metal relay lever
- Upgraded the relay lever bushings to brass set
- Upgraded the cable endlink bushings to metal with brass inserts
- Added custom coating and engraving of Shorty himself

Result:
Absolutely divine. As I experienced the stock shifter, then dieselgeek, this blends both perfectly. The shifts are crisp, short without being overly notchy. The engagement is quiet, but without the stock flex/too much play issue.

I don't know SK VeeDubR on a personal level, but his customization nails it. Highly recommend this.

Attachments

• OEM S3 Shifter_1.jpg
    OEM S3 Shifter_1.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 2,800
  • OEM S3 Shifter_2.jpg
    OEM S3 Shifter_2.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 2,787
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
More Soundskins - Rear Seat

More Soundskins - Rear Seat

Keeping it rolling. Did under the rear bench seat. Seat was simple to remove. Skin install was just a couple of cuts around some clips and belts.

Attachments

• Soundskins Rear Seat.jpg
    Soundskins Rear Seat.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 2,564
  • Soundskins Rear Seat_2.jpg
    Soundskins Rear Seat_2.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 2,644
Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
Any plans to do any other wiring while you have the trim apart? I'm interested in doing this on the doors in the future as the car has a little more road noise than I'd like. Plus, if I quiet the cabin, I'll hear the exhaust less thereby requiring me to get a louder exhaust/downpipe...

no other wiring plans :D

did clean up some led tails and dashcam wiring whilst in there...