GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Interior Cleaner - What to use?

Up to now I have mainly cleaned the interior using a micro fiber towel wet with water only. This does ok, but over time I have seen many using other products. I like two items other members suggested and while ordering samples found a third to try. Here is my review.

1. Cockpit Premium - 1Z - $17
2. Audi Cockpit Care - $9-$18
3. 303 - $19

Initial info:
1Z - nice smell and not oily. Easy to work with.
Audi - Fancy spray can. Interesting smell. Hard to describe but not bad. Very light oily feel.
303 - Silicone smell, a little more greasy, nice feel.

On my back seat I cleaned a small section on the seat with each product. This was a quick wipe to cover the entire area but I did not rub in to blend.

1Z - Whitish liquid. Cleans up well, easy to use, nice smell. When dried a matte finish no oil.
Audi - Being a can spray, cool to touch on summer day. Left some streaks when dry. Very light film, not bad.
303 - Easy to apply - white liquid. Left a film. Shinny when dry. After a week could still pick up a film when you rubbed the seat. (no use on seat during the week).

My thoughts on GTI.
I went and used the 1Z on the interior.:D Cleans well and leaves matte finish. Great smell, sort of minty. Cleaned the steering wheel well. Wow - how did all that get there. Used a white micro fiber cloth and you can see the dirt. Works well on seats, etc. No oily residue.
Now half the bottle is gone and I will need to order more. Maybe order bigger bottle.

Audi - Nice fancy can. It's Audi how cool is that. Not bad, spray is easy to control. Very light oil film. No bad but not 1Z.

303 - to oily for my GTI. Not as much a cleaner as a cover film to me. Would be good for door gaskets as it helps lubricate. Good on tires.
I did find on my wife's 2016 Hyundai Tucson that the shinny look does well on here darker interior panels. This car also has dark brown plastic outside lower panels and it cleans them up well and leaves a shine. Did well on floor mats also. Will see limited us on my GTI. Much use on Tucson.

The bottles (well can also).
IMG_2504.JPG

1Z is panel to the left
Audi - panel in middle.
303 - end panel to the right
IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

Reverse view to see in sun.
303 no on the left end, then Audi and 1Z to right.
IMG_2507.JPG

Last edited:

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I went and used the 1Z on the interior.:D Cleans well and leaves matte finish. Great smell, sort of minty. Cleaned the steering wheel well. Wow - how did all that get there. Used a white micro fiber cloth and you can see the dirt. Works well on seats, etc. No oily residue.

Sold! Once again, great review man. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
A young fan!

I stopped by Walmart tonight to get some things for the wife.
While I ran in she stayed in the car. She said a family came out with a full cart and while the parents unloaded the bags into the car a young man of about the age of 10 was looking over at our GTI. After a few seconds he started to walk over to the GTI. It was getting dark so I do not think he could see my wife inside due to the tinted windows. He stopped and looked at the front of the car and was heard telling his Dad:

It is a GTI. I thought it was one. It looks great!"

A new fan. :D

My wife is not a car person, but she thought it was cute.
I just told her the young man had good taste. :cool:

Last edited:

sabo

Ready to race!
303 - to oily for my GTI. Not as much a cleaner as a cover film to me. Would be good for door gaskets as it helps lubricate. Good on tires.
I did find on my wife's 2016 Hyundai Tucson that the shinny look does well on here darker interior panels. This car also has dark brown plastic outside lower panels and it cleans them up well and leaves a shine. Did well on floor mats also. Will see limited us on my GTI. Much use on Tucson.

picked up the 303 last week and did the exterior window trim/gasket as it for me faded to a worn gray look rather quickly. wiped them with the 303 and returned to new deeper color. after about a week baking in the summer sun, it's still holding nicely. jury out until time passes to see how long it protects but pleased thus far

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
picked up the 303 last week and did the exterior window trim/gasket as it for me faded to a worn gray look rather quickly. wiped them with the 303 and returned to new deeper color. after about a week baking in the summer sun, it's still holding nicely. jury out until time passes to see how long it protects but pleased thus far

Agree!
303 may not see much use in the interior of my GTI but for gaskets it will be perfect. I also think it might good as an engine detailer. Depends if it attracts dust. I used a detailer once on my truck that looked good new but then attracted dust.
Also works well on tires as it has a light shine. I wiped dry and did not see and sling off. But after a 6 hour drive did not look as shinny.

I notice in a recent Car and Driver a $5 off coupon for I think AutoZone.
Might be sold in more places as I had not seen it before this forum shared the info.

Last edited:

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Meguiars 40 is the best in the market IMO.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Meguiars 40 is the best in the market IMO.

Thanks for suggestion.
Also open to new products.
Mequires 40 is labeled on the bottle as a mirror glaze.
So I assume this is a shiny product?
I know some members like a shiny finish and others like the
original matte finish. That is one benefit of the 1Z product.
Will give yours a try. Have you tried on tires?
Does it dry with no sling?
Does it attract dirt dust at all?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Real Life!

I know many new members see the pictures on the Forum and wonder how we all keep our cars so clean. Most of the time the pictures posted are right after a car wash so they look perfect. This summer I had a 3 week window that I did not get to wash the GTI. After a couple trips to Nashville it was looking rough.

So the first picture is real life.:eek:
The second shows it cleans up well.

Pictures pre-Eibach lowering.

Attachments

• IMG_2500.JPG
    IMG_2500.JPG
    382.5 KB · Views: 1,075
  • IMG_2501.JPG
    IMG_2501.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 1,072
Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The offer?

Stopped by Walmart after work today.
On the drive home I started to hear this flapping sound.
Now what?
Why do I have a new noise on my car? :mad:

I then see I have a piece of paper stuck under my right side wiper.
Someone selling something or in Tennessee an upcoming Mud Bog is being promoted. Once I arrived home, I pull out the paper which has a note.

"Nice car!"
"If you want to sell, text me."
"###~###~####"

IMG_2583.JPG

I was parked in my favorite spot at Walmart. (Back of the lot, or in our lot which is steeply sloped, top of the hill). Maybe he thought I was trying to sell as sometimes people park back here with a sign on windshield.

So, what should I ask for it?
I wonder if he will pay what the value is to me?
I should test his interest.

A top end Autobahn with several non performance mods and a stock engine and drive train and extra OE set of wheels/tires.

$40,000?

Yea likely too much, but if I had to replace I would buy a top end '16 GTI or maybe an R. :cool:

But then I would not have my OZ wheels and RE-11 tires.

I think best to keep it.
On one hand nice that others appreciate a good car in the land of Mustangs.
But on the other hand someone is scoping my car! :eek:

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hot enough!

Left work the other day and we are now averaging in the upper 90's in the afternoon.:mad:
Even with carbon window tint it is hot to the touch inside.
I look forward to fall, but that just means I have to remove my summer tires. Will be hard to go back to the all season OE tires.

IMG_2582.JPG

Last edited:

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
Yea, you run with Carl.
I let him know when I see him.

No, it was "Nice Car!
In code this person was telling me that it was good
"That I did not get a Golf!!!!!!!" ;)

Carl, you realise that your car is a Golf GTI, right?

"Redesigned for 2015, the current Volkswagen GTI is, as expected, a performance-oriented version of the Volkswagen Golf. As such, it is available in two- and four-door hatchback body styles. There are three trim levels: S, SE and Autobahn." -Edmunds

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Carl, you realise that your car is a Golf GTI, right?

"Redesigned for 2015, the current Volkswagen GTI is, as expected, a performance-oriented version of the Volkswagen Golf. As such, it is available in two- and four-door hatchback body styles. There are three trim levels: S, SE and Autobahn." -Edmunds

Who is Carl?
Yes, I know.
But, if someone asks about my car
and I tell them it is a GTI, they never reply oh, it's a Golf!
Most R owners do not say, I picked up my new Golf R today.

I like my Golf...... GTI.......MK7.........! :cool:

Having fun with you - Fatso.