GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

vigti Pure White GTI

efa5

Ready to race!
Nice build thread! Just picked up my GTI last week, coming from a MK6 Golf.

Let me know how the Lamin-X (clear) front headlight lenses work out for you, was looking into getting a set for mine as well.

vigti

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice build thread! Just picked up my GTI last week, coming from a MK6 Golf.

Let me know how the Lamin-X (clear) front headlight lenses work out for you, was looking into getting a set for mine as well.

Thanks! I'm heading on a road trip in a few weeks so I think I'm going to install them soon just in case. I'll let you know how they hold up!

vigti

Passed Driver's Ed
Acquired the first of a few items from AliExpress the other day: LED license plate bulbs! (I ordered a few more things, will update this post as I get and install them.

The quality of the lights is pretty good, I'm impressed to be honest. Ordering from Aliexpress is always a gamble for me as I've heard horror stories of everything going wrong for some purchasers, but also good things from others. I ordered 4 just in case as well.

The only issue I've run into so far (that I was expecting) is upon installing, the dash had a "Check license plate bulb" warning. I googled around and eventually found a post in this thread which alleviated the problem!

A comparison, OEM bulb on the left, new LED on the right. I'm really digging the crisp white colour of the LED compared to the dull almost-orange haze of the OEM bulb. Considering my GTI came with the lighting package and all the interior bulbs have been swapped out for bright LEDs, I'm surprised that the license plate bulbs weren't LED as well. Nevertheless, I am satisfied with how this turned out :D

Here's a night shot, they're super white and crisp and no errors so far!

Last edited:

vigti

Passed Driver's Ed
Acquired the second set of a few items from AliExpress today as per this thread: LED brake light bulbs.

Again, the quality of the lights is pretty good on these. When I installed them, I had to do zero coding which was great, and there was even no "light out" errors when I started the car a few times afterwards.

Below is a pic of the OEM tail lights before installing the LED bulbs:

Comparing them: OEM bulb on the left, new LED on the right. The LED bulbs are noticeably brighter which is nice, and the visible fade-out of the incandescent bulbs is gone too when they turn off!

I'll get a better night shot tomorrow.

Last edited:

vigti

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally got my new black-on-white front emblem from AliExpress on friday and installed today. I ordered it May 15th and it finally reached my house June 24th :\ For $25CAD shipped it seemed to have taken forever, but I'm happy I finally received it.

The quality of the plastic is excellent though there was a small imperfection I had to smooth out with knife inside the right side of the circle. I'm not sure if you can see it in any of the photos however.

It's been raining off and on then getting sunny out the past few days, so mind the water spots ;)

Last edited:

vigti

Passed Driver's Ed
Dang I kinda want those now, looks great! Any pics from farther away, and straight on?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

I added another image at the end of the previous post that is straight on. I took it this morning when the sun was behind me so there is a bit of glare, but you get the idea :p

vigti

Passed Driver's Ed
In the last of 4 separate items ordered at the same time, I finally got my reverse LEDs from AliExpress today and promptly installed them.

The quality is great, though when installing them I noticed they were a very tight fit compared to the stock OEM bulbs. So much so that I almost thought I had ordered the wrong kind of LEDs. After a little bit of force though they fit nice and snug into the clips.

Update: They're not as bright as I had wanted them. Even after modifying the adaptation values with my OBDEleven, my brake lights are much much brighter than the lights. I do appreciate the crisp white colour of them which is an improvement over the stock bulbs, but the fact still remains that they're just not as bright as I've seen in other pictures.

Last edited:

vigti

Passed Driver's Ed
Just got back yesterday from a week and a half long trip from Vancouver Island to the interior of BC and over to Alberta (Edmonton, then down to Calgary). It was my first long trip with the car and it performed amazingly! I couldn't have asked for a better vehicle to take me places I wanted to go :)

I posted some pictures over on my Instagram account:

A pic before heading out form our friend's place in Vancouver

Cruising through Ashcroft, BC on the way to 100 Mile House

Pit stop to get Mt. Robson in the background :)

The bug graveyard that amassed from 100 Mile House to Edmonton

Some of the many beautiful canola fields on the way to Drumheller to see the badlands

Not mine but a sweet lookin' MK7 R I saw when we were out walking around downtown Calgary

Last edited:

vigti

Passed Driver's Ed
Haven't posted in awhile, but here's an update!

Got myself some long-awaited custom plates ��

And I bought some paddle shift extensions off AliExpress

Next order of business is to get some money saved up for some exhaust modifications ��

Last edited:

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Nice build

Any plans for a lower stance?

vigti

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice build

Any plans for a lower stance?

Yeah I think Santa might be bringing VWR springs for Xmas [emoji318]

Edit: Well, Santa didn't show up with springs like I asked, but he did produce some much needed winter tires for the unusual cold snap we had here for over a month.

Last edited:

efa5

Ready to race!
Did your car come with the OEM mudflaps or was it something you added? I've been thinking about adding them, especially during the winter.

vigti

Passed Driver's Ed
Did your car come with the OEM mudflaps or was it something you added? I've been thinking about adding them, especially during the winter.
It did come with the OEM mudflaps. I'm indifferent to them, they do help keep the butt of the care clean during the winter (so far).

I'm considered getting some aftermarket flaps, but it's way down on the mods list.