GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB Stage 1 Released for 7R and S3 application

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Updated: 6.04.2016

MAC SOFTWARE IN ITS CURRENT REVISION SEEMS TO HAVE CAUSED A ISSUE WHICH REVERTS THE BOX TO MAP 0 WHEN MAP CHANGES SO ITS ADVISED NOT BE USED AT THIS STAGE, LINK HAS BEEN TAKEN DOWN AND WILL BE PUT BACK UP ONCE WE RESOLVE THE ISSUE

First available firmware update resolving idle issues some vehicles have had available here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34711

Please note when doing a firmware update JB unit must be connected to car and key in the on position.

We have finally reached a point where we have released our JB Stage 1 offering.
The unit is called a stage 1 or JB1 as it is called on the VW forums because it is a simpler unit compared to the yet to be released JB4 and does not signify stage tuning as one is use to when it comes to flash tuning.

This thread applies to the high output EA888 Gen 3 motor as found in the Golf 7 R, Audi S3 and Cupra 280hp. The unit is compatible to all market be it NA, Euro or Australia.

These units are now available and a ready for order at http://burgertuning.com/vw_volkswagen_Group1_JB1_tuner.html

The JB1 is a true plug and play tune offering safe and adjustable gains. It can be installed and removed in minutes.
Install instructions can be found here: http://burgertuning.com/instructions/S1_VAG_EA888_G3.pdf
The unit ships with a base setting in map 1 that increases the boost by +4.75psi over stock that is safe to be used with 91US octane and 95 Euro. The typical power gains on this setting are 35whp and 40ft lb. With higher octane accompanied with bolt ons and octane we have seen gains of 75whp and 70ft lb in Map 1. All of this whilst keeping the engines stock fail safes in place.

User interface software:
For users that have opted to purchase the optional BMS Data Cable you will need to download and install the user interface at this link http://www.n54tech.com/flash_files/jb4_interface.zip . The software is only compatible with Windows so for Mac a Virtual machine needs to be used.

Directions on how to connect, log and do firmware updates:

Directions on installing the interface and connecting to your JB can be found here
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=197021&postcount=1
Please note when doing a firmware update JB unit must be connected to car and key in the on position.

In order to change the map in the picture below under the logging tab you can pick the required map. Select the map and click add.

Mapping
Upon shipping the following maps are active:
Map 0: Stock with complete pass through i.e. the JB1 does nothing
Map 1: Less aggressive boost profile map, this supports 91 octane at the base boost setting as well as bolt ons. If higher octane is used the boost can be increased as well as with bolt ons. We found that with intake, dp and 93 the boost can be pushed to +5.5psi yielding gains as seen in the following dyno graph. The method of doing this is in the second picture below. A E35 ethanol mix has been tested with this map and its fully compatible to run at boost levels up to +6.5psi when complimented with FBO (full bolt on mods). For anything higher than +5.5psi race fuel is required.
Map 3: Map three allows the JB1 to be the methanol controller working as a fail safe cutting boost if lack of meth flow is detected. You will require a Coolingmist FSB and a BMS Methanol kit to get this working. Please email info@ea888tech.com for meth support and the firmware required.

Map 1 Boost settings
Below is a diagram of where the user adjustment is made for boost over stock. Add in the value and click save.

There is a new released of the interface so now the boost setting change is under Boost Safety as circled in red.

Map 6 boost selection:

For map 6 you will need to connect to the unit and select map 6. If you have previously purchased your unit before reading this please email me george@burgertuning.com to receive a copy of the firmware.

Below is where you enter the values for map 6. It works similar to map 1 so the value is the additional boost over stock.

Dedicated Map 6 discussion thread here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12325

The below maps are being tested over a greater pool of cars due to them being more aggressive. They will be released with a firmware update that you can load with your data cable at no extra cost.

Map 4: This map can be considered a low torque map suitable for circuit use and want something more conservative.

The unit can log boost on the two sensors, dme boost as well as the rail pressure. The balance of the engine parameters and settings in the picture are exclusive to the yet to be released JB4 but it gives you a idea of what is to come.

Support queries can be here on the BMS support forum http://www.n54tech.com or using email at george@burgertuning.com .

Last edited:

Chako

Great work! I have the Neuspeed Power Module right now but am 100% planning to switch over to your JB4 unit when it is released.

jmp4golfvw

Ready to race!
Possibly a dumb question but other comp mods I've heard trigger a warranty alert when they hook your car up to the computer during a service regardless if u take the unit out before. Is there something that keeps VW from seeing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Possibly a dumb question but other comp mods I've heard trigger a warranty alert when they hook your car up to the computer during a service regardless if u take the unit out before. Is there something that keeps VW from seeing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all the hardware mods you are safe when removed. A catless DP might trigger fault codes if the spacer for the second lambda is not working well. Its best if you running without a Cat to always clear the faults before the car goes in.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
For the lazy (ME) and others who may not know....

Whats the difference between the released unit JB1 and the JB4 mentioned?

The JB1 is a simpler yet affective unit.
The JB4 is more advanced since it accesses the vehicles Canbus network. This give advantages such as logging, fault reading and clear. In car map selection as well as gauge hijacking to show boost. The tuning side of it is also more advanced and it will be able to support higher levels of power.

Chako

The JB4 is more advanced since it accesses the vehicles Canbus network. This give advantages such as logging, fault reading and clear. In car map selection as well as gauge hijacking to show boost. The tuning side of it is also more advanced and it will be able to support higher levels of power.

Very excited for this! For the record I would be purchasing the JB1 if I didn't have a piggyback unit already.

If I am understanding correctly the JB4 will not have the ability to suppress the secondary lambda fault code but it can clear it? It may be safest to run a HFC w spacer in that case, would that make sense? Doesn't seem like it would give up much power with the stock turbo and a nice 100-200CEL cat.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Very excited for this! For the record I would be purchasing the JB1 if I didn't have a piggyback unit already.

If I am understanding correctly the JB4 will not have the ability to suppress the secondary lambda fault code but it can clear it? It may be safest to run a HFC w spacer in that case, would that make sense? Doesn't seem like it would give up much power with the stock turbo and a nice 100-200CEL cat.

Yes, the unit can clear the fault but not fool the lambda. Spacer is the route or a free flowing cat. I have heard via the grapevine there are a few lambda defeat units in the works.

wildstar87

Passed Driver's Ed
I know you can't compare numbers directly, but by estimation, would this module kind of slot in (HP/TQ increase) between the Neuspeed module, and an ECU tune like APR?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
I know you can't compare numbers directly, but by estimation, would this module kind of slot in (HP/TQ increase) between the Neuspeed module, and an ECU tune like APR?

Tune only I would say yes although a customer has pushed the car to a 50whp gain on 93. With bolt ons the car can sit in the 340-350whp range.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Will JB4 allow increased performance with 93 octane USA gas?

Tell me more about the gauge hijacking feature that shows boost.

Kilter

Passed Driver's Ed

Thank you, I'll have to watch this while I await delivery...

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Will JB4 allow increased performance with 93 octane USA gas?

Tell me more about the gauge hijacking feature that shows boost.

The current Stage 1 that is for sale does not have gauge hijacking features. It is compatible for a 93 octane adjustment. On the GTI thread quite a few of the users have adjusted boost up to accommodate the better octane. http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10761

On the yet to be released JB4 there will be a option to display boost in one of the gauges such as the fuel gauge. On this video of a BMW the owner has chosen to use the fuel gauge with a quarter tank representing 5psi. He also has the shift light option active which puts the indicator lights on at a preset rpm for gear change preparation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN8vaZVM3vc