GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why is this subforum so dead?

Josh64

Ready to race!
Don't they sell a lot more of the cheaper TSI? I would have thought there would be a lot of activity in here, but there's hardly ever anything new in here when I log on.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I've been thinking the same thing. The other subs have more going on. But they're not on fire either. Considering the popularity and tuning potential of all variants of the golf, I would expect more action on the forums. Has it all gone on to face book or something?
Hell, the DooTalk ski doo snowmobile forum has more action and it's the middle of summer!

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I'm sure it will pick up. Most of the traffic here will probably end up being from North America, and the car is not quite even a model year old yet.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Well then. I'll have been part of it before it was cool. I'll tell my grandkids all about it.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
TSI owners may be more interested in just driving there cars than doing a bunch of mods.

Or maybe TSI cars are more interested in modifying and driving their owners. Think about that bro! VW will stand for nothing less than total automotive market domination. APR says that the computer in our cars is one of the most sophisticated out there. What do you think all that extra prosessing power is for? Mind control.

P.S.
I don't use emoticons. So it's up in the air as to whether I'm being sarcastic or not. Dude!

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
Well I should keep my thought to myself. Old F@$& here.
Been through the modding thing, started driving in the early 1960's.
So do enjoy the threads but now just like driving and enjoying what Volkswagen
is offering and keeping them stock.
Both my Mk6 and 7 Golfs.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Stock is nice, modified can be nice too. If you like to keep stock, why chime in on a sub forum that is about modifying? I would never put 19" rims on my car and slam it to the ground. Nor am I over on the wheel and tire sub forum passively praising the virtues of my stock 15" x 6.5" pizza cutters.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I will say though. The car is very nice stock.

But, it's just so easy and so responsive to modification that it brings out the modification devil in many.

Before this car, the only modification I have done to any car in 15 years is move the seat, adjust the mirrors and put snow tires on in the winter.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
If you're referring the 1.8t, I can see. Clearly the regular Golf seen as cars that are in same class as Civic's, Cruze, etc. meaning not a lot of buyers are "enthusiasts" and therefore, they won't bother joining a forum, or any forum for that matter.

Jasper3

Passed Driver's Ed
Enthusiasts who usually hang out on forums and mod their cars hardly ever buy the base model of a car. Base models are bought by people who just want a VW and just want A to B. We did get the base model though but that was just for $$$$ reasons. GREAT car though!

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
And the base models can be tuned, modded, etc.., just as easily as the GTI or the R.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Not a stab at the base model TSI Golf or their owners as I know they can be made to be pretty quick... but if you're an enthusiast who is looking for engine performance (like this section is titled), wouldn't you want to start with the performance oriented models and go from there? That would be my best guess as to why this sub-forum doesn't have as much traffic as the GTI and R forums, not that there aren't Golf owners out there that aren't enthusiasts but the majority of them (and VW's target market for them) is the average consumer that just wants a good car but could care-less about a tune or making the car quicker.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
The R sub forum is almost as dead as this one. The GTI sub isn't really that hot either. Right now there's a whole 11 people looking at it.

I bought a brand new TSI 1.8 auto for 18,200. Same dealer, the least expensive GTI auto is 26,500.

$8300 cash difference
Or
45% more expensive
Or
$93 per month on a 5 year loan @ 3.9%

For less than a grand you have a TSI 1.8 that will take a stock GTI, is a hair within a Cobb Focus ST etc...Wife can still drive it to work without any issues, mistress thinks it's cool, kids dig it.

This argument never goes away until you get to the highest end Ferrari I guess. Why not get the R instead of the GTI? Or why not get a top line Mustang? But but if your going that far, a Vett is just a few bucks away. But maybe your a connoisseur of fine German offerings? But then maybe your just shy of being able to afford the cheapest Ferrari? Or maybe you think all this is silly and you get a prius and bicycle whenever possible.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
I've owned two GTI's a TDI and a total of 9 Volkswagens. Started out with a 1962 Bug.
So I've enjoyed quite a few. One does not have to mod there car to be an enthusiast.
When I think of mods I see slammed suspension.
19-20" wheels WTF. and the like.
I may do some different wheels, not larger than 17".
A set of sport springs.
A more efficient exhaust.
These are all mods but IMO not over the top.
I do have a MK7 S 2 door and for me it's about money paid for when I drove away from the dealer.