GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why do SD card Mp3 files get lost until reset?

SpinKix

Passed Driver's Ed
For some strange reason, some of my SD card Mp3 files go missing from the index.

They show as unavailable on playlists, or don't play when artist is selected.

When I safely eject and re-insert the SD card or reset media to factory settings, they come back for a few days, then disappear again.

Always the same files get lost, mixed in with others that are OK.

They seem to be files I added over time to the SD card.

I checked the file names & tags and corrected errors, but it keeps happening.

I'm trying to nail down the cause, like switching to Android Auto, phone, or texts, but no distinct pattern.

Anybody else have this problem?

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I am taking a wild guess here and assuming they are encoded differently than the ones that dont disappear. You may want to try re-encoding them to see.

If they are a super high FLAK encoding I know those can have problems.

SpinKix

Passed Driver's Ed
I am taking a wild guess here and assuming they are encoded differently than the ones that dont disappear. You may want to try re-encoding them to see.

If they are a super high FLAK encoding I know those can have problems.

That's the thing.

They're all purchased Mp3 songs, or downloaded from The Australian Radio station triple J
https://www.triplejunearthed.com/digital-radio/played-on-unearthed

(free song downloads).

I even used Mp3Tag and wiped the tags except for artist, song.

That's a good clue though.

I'm going to check the file formats, bit rate and file source for a pattern.

At least I have a workaround by resetting media to factory.

Just seems strange, it works fine for days, then loses them again.

Last edited:

SpinKix

Passed Driver's Ed
People use the SD card thing??? Lol

That's all I listen to LOL.

Don't have any songs on my phone, and don't stream using data, (Proj fi, usually <500 MB a month)

I didn't even activate my free Sirius trial subscription, and it was two months before I even set a station on the radio.

I do waste hours searching for new songs though.

SpinKix

Passed Driver's Ed
Instead of adding songs I make up a new playlist.

I make new playlists too.

I'm adding songs almost weekly, and changing the playlists as I add them to the SD card.

Right now, everything is good, no missing Mp3 files.

Next time they go missing, I'm going to really dig down the list to make a log.

Maybe I'll be able to see what's common.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
That's all I listen to LOL.

Don't have any songs on my phone, and don't stream using data, (Proj fi, usually <500 MB a month)

I didn't even activate my free Sirius trial subscription, and it was two months before I even set a station on the radio.

I do waste hours searching for new songs though.
Same here!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Best way to have your own music library in the car. No Bluetooth compression, supports playlists & album artwork perfectly. Cheap media, works perfectly. Most of the time (occasional hiccups like the original topic here notwithstanding).

So why are you LOLing?

Just never seen anyone use it. Maybe it's my age group. A couple YouTube reviews I saw of the golf before buying made a few jabs at VW for having the SD card stuff everywhere too. Then again, I can't even remember the last time I used a CD/DVD/Blu ray or floppy drive either. :p

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Best way to have your own music library in the car. No Bluetooth compression, supports playlists & album artwork perfectly. Cheap media, works perfectly. Most of the time (occasional hiccups like the original topic here notwithstanding).

So why are you LOLing?

Just never seen anyone use it. Maybe it's my age group. A couple YouTube reviews I saw of the golf before buying made a few jabs at VW for having the SD card stuff everywhere too. Then again, I can't even remember the last time I used a CD/DVD/Blu ray or floppy drive either. :p not knocking it if it works for you. I wouldn't be able to store all of my music on one SD