GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

White Car - Black Tar

GC854

Ready to race!
Folks I would really appreciate some advice on tat spot removal. I noticed some tar spots on my white car today - they are hard to miss given the colour and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good tar remover which would not leave a brownish streak across the paintwork. I have noticed of course that Gtechniq products get rave reviews on this forum but they do not seem to produce a dedicated tar remover. I have also had a look at 'Polished Bliss' and they sell 'Auto Finesse Oblitarate' which is designed for tar removal. The question is: 'Does it work and is it easy to apply and use?'

I would be really grateful to hear of anyones experience with this or any other product that works.

Fingers crossed

DW58

Go Kart Champion
OK - tar removal is easy to achieve, all you need is a good solvent such as ... ...
  • AutoSmart Tardis
  • AutoFinesse Obitarate
  • CarPro Tar X
All are easy to use - basically wash the car first and then spray on the tar solvent, allow to dwell for a while and then wipe off the dissolved tar spots with a microfibre cloth.

I have use both Tardis and Oblitarate and find them equally good, I haven't used Tar X but I believe it to be good as well.

GTechniq concentrate on protection products rather than decontamination items, but if your car is coated in a GTechniq sealant, it'll make the tar easier to remove as it doesn't adhere so well.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Folks I would really appreciate some advice on tat spot removal. I noticed some tar spots on my white car today - they are hard to miss given the colour and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good tar remover which would not leave a brownish streak across the paintwork. I have noticed of course that Gtechniq products get rave reviews on this forum but they do not seem to produce a dedicated tar remover. I have also had a look at 'Polished Bliss' and they sell 'Auto Finesse Oblitarate' which is designed for tar removal. The question is: 'Does it work and is it easy to apply and use?'

I would be really grateful to hear of anyones experience with this or any other product that works.

Fingers crossed

To add to DW58's reply, polish will remove the light marks (not by polishing out, leave the polish on for a few minutes and you will see the tar disolving) Also consider AG Intensive tar remover.

GC854

Ready to race!
Cheers Rob - you seem to have taken on the mantle of resident cleaning expert along with the 'Resident Cantankerous Old Fart' handle.
I will order one of these products tonight.

Many thanks

DW58

Go Kart Champion
If Polished Bliss sell a product, you can guarantee it's good. If they use it themselves, it's even better.

Unlike most retailers they don't sell anything they haven't used professionally themselves.

GC854

Ready to race!
To add to DW58's reply, polish will remove the light marks (not by polishing out, leave the polish on for a few minutes and you will see the tar disolving) Also consider AG Intensive tar remover.

Thanks Avanti. Your post must have gone up as I was responding to Rob. I am keen to get something that dissolves the tar but doesnt damage the paintwork. So I will ensure I leave the polish on until it dissolves the tar.

GC854

Ready to race!
If Polished Bliss sell a product, you can guarantee it's good. If they use it themselves, it's even better.

Unlike most retailers they don't sell anything they haven't used professionally themselves.

Another thing in Polished Bliss' favour is that I will be passing their door this coming week:)

Avanti

Go Kart Champion

Thanks Avanti. Your post must have gone up as I was responding to Rob. I am keen to get something that dissolves the tar but doesnt damage the paintwork. So I will ensure I leave the polish on until it dissolves the tar.

My car is white too, I do have AG ITR but last time I done any de-tarring (which was a week on Saturday) I used R222 pre -wax cleaner (from CYC as well :cool:) as I was going to wax the car afterwards, had that not have worked I would have used the AG ITR.

GC854

Ready to race!
Thanks Avanti. The joys of driving a white car eh. I think for the time being I might stick with a dedicated tar remover.

Heading off to my son's school concert now so thanks for the advice

testcard

Ready to race!
I've never used anything more exotic than a drop of white spirit on a piece of kitchen towel.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Another thing in Polished Bliss' favour is that I will be passing their door this coming week:)

Best check first - AFAIK they no longer offer an "over the counter" service as their new warehouse is not where it used to be, i.e. not the same location as the detailing business.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
White spirit or paraffin.

Neither! The proper products are cheap enough, don't take it wrongly, some people ALWAYS make a hash of things they touch :eek:

Even leaving wax on for a while will soften tar (and you are going to have to re-wax the area where the tar has been removed in any case)

this cost me less than a couple of quid, which was cheaper than buying paraffin or white sprits and doe the job admirably.

mickR

Ready to race!
Neither! The proper products are cheap enough, don't take it wrongly, some people ALWAYS make a hash of things they touch :eek:

Even leaving wax on for a while will soften tar (and you are going to have to re-wax the area where the tar has been removed in any case)

this cost me less than a couple of quid, which was cheaper than buying paraffin or white sprits and doe the job admirably.

Why do you say 'neither'?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Why do you say 'neither'?

I did include "on't take it wrongly, some people ALWAYS make a hash of things they touch :eek:" Like DW58 I frequent a detailing forum, I'm surprised how many mess up everything they do from simply using glass cleaner to the extremes of machine polishing, I couldn't recommend readers fool around with highly flammable liquids especially on their pricey and pretty looking paint panels, some are going to injure themselves, some are going to make the panel look much worse than the tar spots, if neither of the above match your description, then use either of what you have at hand, the reality is though dedicated products are cheap enough.