GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whats a smoking deal on an R??

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Relax, 1 thread that was about 0-60 performance, with fabricated unrealistic times. And one joke on another, which very well could have some truth to it. How's that trolling? You're the one pissing and moaning, probably sitting down while you do it.

Get a grip. I'm not pissing and moaning, I'm calling out YOUR pissing and moaning about the inferiority of the manual transmission vs your precious coveted DSG, and your constantly condescending attitude toward manual owners. It's old and tired. Time to move on dude.

Misshe11

Passed Driver's Ed
Back on topic. I'm looking at at 2016 DSG with Nav and DAP with 4,700 miles for $32,488. One owner, personal vehicle. Deal?

It sounds like a pretty decent price? No DCC though? I think I saw some spec'd like the one you are looking at on Carmax and they were around that price point also... I probably paid a bit too much for mine, but I wanted it to be red, with a manual and all the stuff... Got an APR stage 1 on it yesterday.... wow...

As for R vs GTI... I had a MK6 GTI (also red with all the stuff, but DSG) with an APR tune also... It was a great car, and was very quick. What I did not like: No automatic headlights, DSG shifting in D was too aggressively seeking 6th gear (also too slow to downshift), DSG in S was too aggressively seeking redline all the time, DSG in manual mode doesn't allow a 2-4 or 4-6 shift, no homelink, and the seat headrests created horrible blind spots because (headrests were the size of Connecticut). It drove nicely and never needed more than an oil change after 65k miles...

The R is, so far, a much better car. Interior is similar but much nicer finish, It feels much more solid on the road, it accelerates and handles better in every respect... Brakes are significantly better, it sounds much better also (quite aggressive) The electronics are much improved. What I don't like.... No seat memory, no sunroof, no homelink... This is a VW vs Audi thing where they tier features across brands to one look better than the other... I'd have gotten a new S3 but they don't sell one in a manual here... (same for the S4... though I was very close to buying a manual 13' S4 for less money...) I suspect the RS3 will also be an auto transmission as well...

I think I am not who car companies are trying to make happy when they build cars these days...

The R just got an APR tune on it yesterday.... The drive home made me think of selling my 911 but I am sure that notion will pass. It is pretty crazy fast. Maybe as quick as the 911...

Gnosisdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Back on topic. I'm looking at at 2016 DSG with Nav and DAP with 4,700 miles for $32,488. One owner, personal vehicle. Deal?
Its a decent price but I'd hold out for DCC. I've been waiting in vain for a deal on a new '17 for a few months. They may never go below MSRP which is why I'm waiting for an 18. I think the chances are high that the price won't go up very much this year and the 7 speed DSG seems like a real upgrade.

SD11

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW GTI SE DSG
Not to kill the thread, but after driving one and realizing I would give up the sunroof that I use all the time here in SoCal, and lesser missing the center console that is also a well liked I am on the sidelines. The GTI is keeping me happy for now.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Well, you can open up the center console, you can even buy a center console opening kit from ecs, cheap, if ya don't want to rig it yourself. You're SOL on the sunroof at least in the states.