GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What Next?

So I love my Golf R, it is as fine a car as I've ever owned. Not as sexy as my old XJ-R or as tough as my old Bronco, but way less likely to get pulled over than my Supra, way harder to break into than my Jeep, roomier than my CTS Wagon (how did that happen?) and far, far faster than any of them.

Sadly, I am worried that she might be on her way to the scrapyard. I got rearended on Sunday and didn't think there was much damage (to either of us) until I tried to move. Long story short, the car really, really thinks I should be making more lefts. To go straight, I need to turn the wheel to about 5-O'Clock, and if I turn, the ABS lights go off like the Fourth of July.

The car's getting towed to the shop today. It may not be that big a deal, but if it is, what should I buy? I could get another R (I have a ton of parts!) or I could try something new.

What did you cross shop? I need something that will seat a family of four, but doesn't have to be our main car.

Anything that even tickles your fancy besides the R?

BTW, when will the 2018s be available? Might have to go beater until then.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Shi*y dude, at least you're ok, guess you forgot to add safe lol, I'm a first time vw guy also, I'm also a bigger fan of the R than I expected, so I vote grab another, they really are great "jack of all trade" type cars, see if ya can save a ton of $$$ find a 17, they look better anyway, of course I'm addmittably bias :)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
That sucks! Glad you're OK. Did you look underneath to see what suspension components were bent or broken? You might be surprised how seemingly minor damage can affect steering. You would need to bend the sail panels badly to total a car. And body shops don't get paid a lot of money hourly from insurance companies so labor isn't as costly as one might think.

The only thing I found comparable was the Mercedes GLA450 AMG but I like the Chevy SS. Not a winter car the Chevy.

Last edited:
My car is too low to go up my ramps and my back and neck hurt too much to slither under.

There are some components hanging by wires at the back end, but I don't know what they are. One could have been a live duck, I believe.

I've thought about a Chevy SS. I like the sleeper thing, but those look more comatose than sleeper.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
My car is too low to go up my ramps and my back and neck hurt too much to slither under.

There are some components hanging by wires at the back end, but I don't know what they are. One could have been a live duck, I believe.

A dead duck now, or is it? :D

I'd get this: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2018-audi-sq5/preview/ In fact I wanted too but couldn't justify spending that much dough on an outgoing model. Now that the 2018 is here (or about to be) Id' definitely get one if I was on the market again.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
I've thought about a Chevy SS. I like the sleeper thing, but those look more comatose than sleeper.

My brother in law has a 2015 ss 6 speed manual, it's dope! Just a Dynotune and cold air, 400 whp 400 tq, They are hilariously loud stock, especially the stick, holding gears and such, It's a nice ride, he gets sick of people asking him what it is. Him, it's an ss sedan. Random people, so it's an impala ss? Him, no it's the ss sedan. Random people, so a Malibu ss? Him, it's a Holden commodore with a bow tie lol

Last edited:
Yeah, I will have to at least test drive the SS if they total my little R.

Such a heart breaker! Man I love this car!!!

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
The SS has ceased production, but you may be able to find one. Maybe.

Ya, they don't sell lol. But they did just finish off running their 20% black tag or whatever off sale, so they may be few and far between near those prices, new at least.

Another car in that same mold, great car that doesn't sell with huge discounts are the caddy atsv's, if there's one around you and your flexible on options, some guys have picked up 75 msrp for low 50s or better! It's really funny to me, these 2 cars are great cars that just don't sell, I'm as guilty as anyone as I bought an R but I wanted/needed awd, have had mult rwd muscle cars and still do and v8/ttv6+ rwd = 2 door for me, but still at huge discounts new the ss is great especially if u can pay under 40 new, same goes for the atsv around 50 new!

ccbird

Ready to race!
A dead duck now, or is it? :D

I'd get this: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2018-audi-sq5/preview/ In fact I wanted too but couldn't justify spending that much dough on an outgoing model. Now that the 2018 is here (or about to be) Id' definitely get one if I was on the market again.

I have owned an SQ5 for a few years now and the Golf R; I pick the golf R for my driving 95% of the time. I thought the SQ5 was the car that would keep me happy for years and the R came along and changed everything. Don't get me wrong, the SQ5 is great as I still own one, but all around, the R is my favorite between the two and was $20,000 cheaper (that is a lot of mods and repairs!)

As for what car to buy instead of the R? Tough call. I still have two kids, so I need the four doors, but I have been looking at Cayman for my next baby, but that will not allow for winters so I then have to keep another car. The golf r checks all the boxes for me as an all year daily driver.

Yeah, I can't really step out too far from whatever i get insurance wise. And I'm still crossing my fingers that the damage isn't that bad.

And I must say, I had a CTS wagon, and it may have ruined Cadillacs for me. The car gave me no trouble, but the interior wasn't in the same league as my R, and the handling was just not terribly fun.

And according to Cargurus, there are still a bunch of manual SSs in the area.

But honestly, getting a V for 50K might be worth it. Any tips on how to find a deal like that, KASPER?

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Really bummed to hear this my man. I hope everything works out and the insurance doesn't total it, if that's what you want. I know you've got a lot done to your R.

Keeping good thoughts for you and your Golf.