GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty is up!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
HPFP = Sharper butter knife.
MPI + RS3 Pump = High quality sharp chef knife.

You want a better butter knife, or you want a serious tool?

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
HPFP = Sharper butter knife.
MPI + RS3 Pump = High quality sharp chef knife.

You want a better butter knife, or you want a serious tool?
Or don’t want to spend $3000 unnecessarily for my power goals.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Or don’t want to spend $3000 unnecessarily for my power goals.
My recommendation is to not install a time bomb in your car at all then. You can build a RS3 kit for under 1000, MPI can be had for cheap also if you go the euro route. Various harnesses. You're probably under 2K, no sweat.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
My recommendation is to not install a time bomb in your car at all then. You can build a RS3 kit for under 1000, MPI can be had for cheap also if you go the euro route. Various harnesses. You're probably under 2K, no sweat.
Please show me engines that have blown from hpfp upgrades and not bearing or overpushing it?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Please show me engines that have blown from hpfp upgrades and not bearing or overpushing it?
Are people doing HPFP upgrades and not beating or pushing it? If you want to be cheap and not do it the right way, get go with an upgraded HPFP. If you want a more reliable and robust setup, go LPFP and MPI.

Anyone suggesting a HPFP upgrade as the best choice in 2024, does not know what they are talking about. In 2024, it's simply the cheapest and simplest choice.

Are you going to tell me UM is the best tuning choice too?

Last edited:

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I’m not chasing 500whp. Hpfp is just fine on a vortex std. there’s less areas of failure.Eqt has agreed if power goals are not aggressive this is perfectly fine.

I do not do anything with UM

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I’m not chasing 500whp. Hpfp is just fine on a vortex std. there’s less areas of failure.Eqt has agreed if power goals are not aggressive this is perfectly fine.

I do not do anything with UM

HPFP will get you to 500whp. Nobody is questioning that. We're questioning the reliability. Shit tires will get you up to 130 mph just fine also.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I spent about $700 on my MPI install including the LPFP. Granted I went with a brushed Walbro, not RS3, but full MPI can be price-competitive to a HPFP alone.

Last edited:

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I’ll let you know when if and when I get stranded.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
What’s that expression “opinions are like assholes, everyone’s got them and they all stink.”

Here’s Ed’s from EQTs thoughts on MPI vs HPFP.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/eqt-vortex-mqb-turbo.356402/page-203#post-7707152
He's not wrong. But if you discover a problem with MPI, you simply drive the car normal, or flash a non-mpi tune in. The HPFP goes, you're stranded.

While we are on the subject of injector failure, the DI injectors fail also and it's hard to diagnose. This is one of those, "if you want to go there" type thing.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Why so much hostility around this? I'm not really worried about either option leaving someone stranded... It happens, but kinda irrelevant imo. The biggest issues with HPFP historically is the difficulty to tune in normal conditions and general funkyness, and, at least for 1.8 (I'm a lot less familiar with the 2.0), that the injectors become the limiting factor pretty quickly. It has been previously a lot of headache for not enough return. I went with MPI because the way I did it (and because I could easily tune it myself) it was the cheaper/easier option. I had a friend who went HPFP around the same time, and got an OTS tune for it. It... worked, but they couldn't run E85, they didn't have the headroom they were hoping for, and they had their fair share of weird funkyness. If the tuning in non-wot conditions is figured out now, it's probably a fine option, but imo it seems like a path of greater resistance.