GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty is up!

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Why so much hostility around this? I'm not really worried about either option leaving someone stranded... It happens, but kinda irrelevant imo. The biggest issues with HPFP historically is the difficulty to tune in normal conditions and general funkyness, and, at least for 1.8 (I'm a lot less familiar with the 2.0), that the injectors become the limiting factor pretty quickly. It has been previously a lot of headache for not enough return. I went with MPI because the way I did it (and because I could easily tune it myself) it was the cheaper/easier option. I had a friend who went HPFP around the same time, and got an OTS tune for it. It... worked, but they couldn't run E85, they didn't have the headroom they were hoping for, and they had their fair share of weird funkyness. If the tuning in non-wot conditions is figured out now, it's probably a fine option, but imo it seems like a path of greater resistance.
No hostility here. From where I sit, i see more of "my HPFP took a shit" than "my MPI injector stopped working and blew up my engine". When someone is looking for advice on fueling mods, HPFP only is not going to be my first suggestion.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Why so much hostility around this? I'm not really worried about either option leaving someone stranded... It happens, but kinda irrelevant imo. The biggest issues with HPFP historically is the difficulty to tune in normal conditions and general funkyness, and, at least for 1.8 (I'm a lot less familiar with the 2.0), that the injectors become the limiting factor pretty quickly. It has been previously a lot of headache for not enough return. I went with MPI because the way I did it (and because I could easily tune it myself) it was the cheaper/easier option. I had a friend who went HPFP around the same time, and got an OTS tune for it. It... worked, but they couldn't run E85, they didn't have the headroom they were hoping for, and they had their fair share of weird funkyness. If the tuning in non-wot conditions is figured out now, it's probably a fine option, but imo it seems like a path of greater resistance.
it's not hostility, it's concern for people wasting money, having been through something myself which I've seen repeat ad nauseam for other people.

you buy the HPFP upgrade because you only read the posts from people insisting it "works fine for them." it dies because of poor assembly, non-clean room conditions, etc. your car is already modded/tuned AND you're now more wary of unreliable parts, so you want to move past an IS38. this means you probably need MPI to run full e85 anyway. at this point, you go back to a stock HPFP, add MPI, sell the old HPFP/internals, and call it a learning experience. your intake valves are cleaner, you've got a low pressure fuel sensor so fuel pressure before the HPFP is no longer a black box. life is good.

that experience is what we want to pass on, but saving people the expensive part. end of the day, OEM parts are going to be more reliable, and depending how you classify the bosch injectors, MPI is essentially a fully OEM upgrade.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
it's not hostility, it's concern for people wasting money, having been through something myself which I've seen repeat ad nauseam for other people.

you buy the HPFP upgrade because you only read the posts from people insisting it "works fine for them." it dies because of poor assembly, non-clean room conditions, etc. your car is already modded/tuned AND you're now more wary of unreliable parts, so you want to move past an IS38. this means you probably need MPI to run full e85 anyway. at this point, you go back to a stock HPFP, add MPI, sell the old HPFP/internals, and call it a learning experience. your intake valves are cleaner, you've got a low pressure fuel sensor so fuel pressure before the HPFP is no longer a black box. life is good.

that experience is what we want to pass on, but saving people the expensive part. end of the day, OEM parts are going to be more reliable, and depending how you classify the bosch injectors, MPI is essentially a fully OEM upgrade.

Exactly this. Lots of people echoing old information. It's not bad to have other people saying something else, as long as it's valid information.

If you have access to ethanol, LPFP and MPI is a must. Don't short change yourself with HPFP only.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
I have no intention of pushing this vehicle past 430whp. That is quite enough from a 4 cylinder. I will run 93 and be happy with it. If I want more I’m getting greedy. This isn’t my first rodeo -Ive owned Subarus and Evos this is really the furthest I would go without ruining reliability.