GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warning, OIL STARVATION

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
reviving old thread here to check if you ever added the CSF auxillary radiators to your S3 and what the results were?
I've added them, but have not yet made it out to HPR. Planning to get out there in late April.

Reactions: MSH

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
reviving old thread here to check if you ever added the CSF auxillary radiators to your S3 and what the results were?
Went to HPR for a lapping day on April 23rd.

Ambient air temps in the high 50's to low 60's. I love these kinds of temps!
Running the BL plate, iABED oil pan, ECS catch can, and CSF auxiliary radiators (still have the stock radiator).

Ran 4 sessions; drove the car hard.
Oil temps in the 240's max.
Maybe one teaspoon of liquid in the can.
No visible loss of engine oil on the dipstick.

Very happy with this setup; have run the BL plate, iABED pan, ECS can for the 2020 season, and was very pleased.
Added the CSF auxiliary radiators for this season.
We'll see how things are for oil temps when we have ambient temps in the 80s or low 90s.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Went to HPR for a lapping day on April 23rd.

Ambient air temps in the high 50's to low 60's. I love these kinds of temps!
Running the BL plate, iABED oil pan, ECS catch can, and CSF auxiliary radiators (still have the stock radiator).

Ran 4 sessions; drove the car hard.
Oil temps in the 240's max.
Maybe one teaspoon of liquid in the can.
No visible loss of engine oil on the dipstick.

Very happy with this setup; have run the BL plate, iABED pan, ECS can for the 2020 season, and was very pleased.
Added the CSF auxiliary radiators for this season.
We'll see how things are for oil temps when we have ambient temps in the 80s or low 90s.

Is it safe to say that just the BL plate and the iAbed pan are enough without the catch can system or do you still think that is necessary? It seems like any of the main track-oriented CCs out there like Racingline/Spulen handle the issue of oil surge and starvation but still get plenty of oil kicked into the CC whereas your setup seems to handle it all without the oil loss which is ideal.

Seems like more of this could be attributed to the iAbed oil pan baffling and design so that would be the main fix and then the BL plate is just a solid upgrade to OEM.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Is it safe to say that just the BL plate and the iAbed pan are enough without the catch can system or do you still think that is necessary? It seems like any of the main track-oriented CCs out there like Racingline/Spulen handle the issue of oil surge and starvation but still get plenty of oil kicked into the CC whereas your setup seems to handle it all without the oil loss which is ideal.

Seems like more of this could be attributed to the iAbed oil pan baffling and design so that would be the main fix and then the BL plate is just a solid upgrade to OEM.

It's hard to say, because I don't think anyone with a big turbo and big boost has tried it. I'm stg 1 on 200tw tires and just BL right now and it solved my oil loss and smoking issue on track. I have a CC waiting to go on the car as cheap insurance. I don't have the baffled oil pan.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
It's hard to say, because I don't think anyone with a big turbo and big boost has tried it. I'm stg 1 on 200tw tires and just BL right now and it solved my oil loss and smoking issue on track. I have a CC waiting to go on the car as cheap insurance. I don't have the baffled oil pan.

Thanks, I've got a track day coming up myself in two weeks so I may install the BL plate to see what happens and narrow this down a bit as the new full plate APR catch can that I pre-ordered has been delayed 2 months already.

At VIR with stock PCV components IS20 stage2 240tw, I had smoke issues at the end of both the front and back straights as well as oil starvation issues going into turn 14 after the hard braking zone.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks, I've got a track day coming up myself in two weeks so I may install the BL plate to see what happens and narrow this down a bit as the new full plate APR catch can that I pre-ordered has been delayed 2 months already.

At VIR with stock PCV components IS20 stage2 240tw, I had smoke issues at the end of both the front and back straights as well as oil starvation issues going into turn 14 after the hard braking zone.

Since installing BL, I've had one instance of smoke in 4 track days vs every lap previously at FIRM in the same corner. It was also a much smaller dump and cleared quicker. Not consuming oil anymore. The one time it happened on the BL was me over cooking entry, rapid slowing, then higher than normal steering angle.

That's why I'm adding an inexpensive CC, for the occasional, I screwed up this corner, moments.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Since installing BL, I've had one instance of smoke in 4 track days vs every lap previously at FIRM in the same corner. It was also a much smaller dump and cleared quicker. Not consuming oil anymore. The one time it happened on the BL was me over cooking entry, rapid slowing, then higher than normal steering angle.

That's why I'm adding an inexpensive CC, for the occasional, I screwed up this corner, moments.

I took a leap this morning and will now go BL plate + iAbed baffled oil pan, returning my catch can orders for now since the price is close to a wash. Wanted to replace the pan anyway with aluminum and that should solve any oil starve issues. Also curious what my oil temps will be like in mid May during this next track session as I also have an iAbed oil cooler kit ready to install after the track day. Back in February during a track weekend, I was hitting 270deg on oil but only during a back-to-back sessions. Most sessions after a 2 hour break I was around 240deg if I remember right. Based on temp rise in May, I'm sure I'll be averaging 250-260 on a typical 25 minute session.

Getting closer to be fully comfortable with this on track anytime of the year if I can solve the oil surge/starve/temp issues with these and the 16 row cooler kit (have FMIC so have to install behind the fog light). Will report back to this thread after with some temp readings and observations.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie

My car has the United Motorsport files for ECU, DSG, Haldex; along with the AWE catted-resonated downpipe.
Stock IS38 turbo. So, pretty much a 'stage 2' type setup.

I started with the BL plate and ECS catch can. Added the iABED pan later on.
When I added the iABED pan, the catch can fluid amount dropped from about 3 tablespoons to maybe 1 tablespoon.
This, after 4 track sessions at HPR.

With both setups, zero fluid in catch can for any street driving.

Prior to this car, I had a '16 GTI with stage 2 APR setup; and experienced the same kind of thing you are reporting.
At that time, the VWR Racingline kit (plate and cc) was what I used to stop the smoke issue.
However, the can would get full enough that I had to drain it after 3 sessions; and eventually add some engine oil.
With the BL plate, no smoke and much less fluid into the can.

I think the BL/iABED combo is a good bang for buck.
I have a thing about always having a catch can, because it helps tell me how effective the PCV / Oil pan setup is working.

I read about guys with big turbo setups reporting that the BL plate doesn't solve the problem.
(Although Dan at DBV2 reports no issues with his hybrid turbo setup. There's a thread on this forum about it).
Maybe for them, or for anyone, the new APR PCV / Can setup will be effective; hoping to see reports on this soon.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
My car has the United Motorsport files for ECU, DSG, Haldex; along with the AWE catted-resonated downpipe.
Stock IS38 turbo. So, pretty much a 'stage 2' type setup.

I started with the BL plate and ECS catch can. Added the iABED pan later on.
When I added the iABED pan, the catch can fluid amount dropped from about 3 tablespoons to maybe 1 tablespoon.
This, after 4 track sessions at HPR.

With both setups, zero fluid in catch can for any street driving.

Prior to this car, I had a '16 GTI with stage 2 APR setup; and experienced the same kind of thing you are reporting.
At that time, the VWR Racingline kit (plate and cc) was what I used to stop the smoke issue.
However, the can would get full enough that I had to drain it after 3 sessions; and eventually add some engine oil.
With the BL plate, no smoke and much less fluid into the can.

I think the BL/iABED combo is a good bang for buck.
I have a thing about always having a catch can, because it helps tell me how effective the PCV / Oil pan setup is working.

I read about guys with big turbo setups reporting that the BL plate doesn't solve the problem.
(Although Dan at DBV2 reports no issues with his hybrid turbo setup. There's a thread on this forum about it).
Maybe for them, or for anyone, the new APR PCV / Can setup will be effective; hoping to see reports on this soon.

I run the VWR CC and get a fair amount of fluid in the can After 3-sessions at VIR on an IS20 on a Stg 1 low torque tune.
Installed an IS38 and APR high torque tune, so am expecting more fluid in the CC. I have an iABED sump because I planned on going to takeoff slicks. This is more to ensure oil around the pickup tube around corners.

So you are suggesting the APR CC with BL plate and baffled sump?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I run the VWR CC and get a fair amount of fluid in the can After 3-sessions at VIR on an IS20 on a Stg 1 low torque tune.
Installed an IS38 and APR high torque tune, so am expecting more fluid in the CC. I have an iABED sump because I planned on going to takeoff slicks. This is more to ensure oil around the pickup tube around corners.

He's suggesting BL, a CC, and baffled sump.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie

As I understand it, the new APR CC kit includes a PCV plate.
The APR plate is configured differently than the VWR plate; so maybe it will work as well or better than the BL plate.
Hope to see reports from those who install the APR kit.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
All reports so far of the PCV plate from APR are very good (other than maybe a few initial QC/fit/finish issues..). It utilizes the primary crankcase ventilation passages in the block that the oem plate uses. Good (best) design I think. I know a guy on a built motor who went from racingline to APR. His can would fill up pretty regularly with the RL...very very minimal collected in the new APR one.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Are there any photos of the new OEM BL plate plumbed into a CC? I’m assuming the hose to the Turbo inlet elbow is retained. And ECS has an Audi hose with a pinch type clip used on the secondary air system. So it’s easy to remove compared to the current one. Its been a long time since I’ve looked at a PCV, it don’t recall where you would plumb a line from the PCV to a CC.

Do you have the link to the build thread?

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Are there any photos of the new OEM BL plate plumbed into a CC? I’m assuming the hose to the Turbo inlet elbow is retained. And ECS has an Audi hose with a pinch type clip used on the secondary air system. So it’s easy to remove compared to the current one. Its been a long time since I’ve looked at a PCV, it don’t recall where you would plumb a line from the PCV to a CC.

Do you have the link to the build thread?
Here's a pic of my engine bay.
The ECS kit has a hose and attachment to the PCV that runs over to the can.
On the turbo inlet for the output hose attachment is a piece that makes it easy to fit onto the inlet.
I liked the ECS kit because the can doesn't replace the upper coolant reservoir.
My car is my only vehicle; so serving street duties and track fun.

My turbo inlet pipe is the IE piece, which is designed to fit with their intake components.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
I really don't think a baffled oil pan is necessary. The TCR rs3 car uses the exact same pan as a regular GTI.

A BL plate with CC can still oil surge if you pull real hard Gs in a corner off throttle as it will be in air mode bypassing the cc. Best way to mitigate this is to try to always keep some throttle during hard corners to keep the car out of vacuum. Obviously this doesn't work for braking

The best track setup would be APR's plate running to a true AOS that has a return to the oil pan.

Last edited: