GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW sez - Take it to the Track!

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
and if you're the owner of a relatively new V-Dub who's considering this form of recreation, I strongly recommend you print several copies of the linked article and have one in your hand if and when you appear in the service line seeking, or hoping for, a warranty repair of damn near any sort re the mechanical bits.

Halewafa

Passed Driver's Ed
and if you're the owner of a relatively new V-Dub who's considering this form of recreation, I strongly recommend you print several copies of the linked article and have one in your hand if and when you appear in the service line seeking, or hoping for, a warranty repair of damn near any sort re the mechanical bits.

Curious what you mean by this statement as someone who just got a new VW and plans on hitting the local AutoX events and a track day or two each year.

adam1991

Banned
I think he was talking about when you go in for a warranty repair and they deny you "because you tracked the car," remind VW that VW said to "go track the car".

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
While it's been a few years since I've done and autocross event, the last one I was at, people were removing license plates and putting black electrical tape over the windshield to cover the VIN in case there were manufacturer representatives there haha.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

LOL, they don't even mention your warranty. Doesn't it state no racing or contest of speed? The service department shouldn't care but if you do enough damage VW will probably want to send out a field rep to look at it. Of course if you're tuned...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
While it's been a few years since I've done and autocross event, the last one I was at, people were removing license plates and putting black electrical tape over the windshield to cover the VIN in case there were manufacturer representatives there haha.

And always wear a helmet with a tinted visor. :)

Doesn't the track want to see your drivers license and registration when you pay?

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Doesn't the track want to see your drivers license and registration when you pay?
I've never had to show a registration at any drag racing event(E-Town, Westhampton, Cecil or Atco), but Auto-X may be different.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

I've never been on an actual track, so I can't comment on that.

The autocross I did was usually on an abandoned airstrip or something. I remember a kid that was 14 or something that was beating everyone because he was some sort of cart champion, so I always assumed a driver's license wasn't a prerequisite for an event like this.

Also, a lot of the cars were trailer-ed in, so I doubt you'd have registration for those.

But I see what you're saying, they could probably look at registration lists and race results to figure it out.

CeleritasPrime

Ready to race!
LOL, they don't even mention your warranty. Doesn't it state no racing or contest of speed? The service department shouldn't care but if you do enough damage VW will probably want to send out a field rep to look at it. Of course if you're tuned...

Technically, track days are neither racing nor contest of speed. No timing is provided and there's no ranking. It's simply a road with no speed limit. I'll read the warranty language myself but I think there's a chance you'd have a case.

Swoope

Ready to race!

been tracking cars for over 12 years.

never once have been asked for drivers licence. now if they will look at your helmet and make sure it is current..

beers

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Maybe VW is telling folks to take it to the track rather than act like bozo & race on the street. I can't see how doing a track day is going to effect your warranty. Unless you scatter engine bits down the front straight.

Unreal1

Autocross Champion

How would they know you tracked your car?