GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW no longer offering the 1.8 TSI engine in the 2019 Golf for NA?

Josh64

Ready to race!
Just got an email from my dealer advertising "2019 model year with exciting new powerplant options" They've downgraded it to the 1.4L engine? Can't see any posts about this on here. What are people's thoughts here?

Juggar

Ready to race!
yes, I read this some months ago.

It makes sense considering the Jettas have had the 1.4t since 2016 and exclusively since 2019 model year.

The 1.8t is no slouch and was a good overall engine for power and economy. The 1.4t means you get economy but if you want real power you are forced into a GTI or R.

I had my 1.8t jetta APR tuned, it was 242 HP I think and 293 ft/lbs. Swear that thing had no right being as fast as it was. Theres no tunes for the 1.4t 2019 jetta right now, only a single piggyback and no other mods either. Theres no upgrade path at all.

Last edited:

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
Not very surprising honestly. We don’t get the great color options, none of the cool engine upgrades or special cars. What’s one less option going to hurt lol! The lack of color options drives me crazy. They get them in Canada!

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Meh. For the same $ as a new 1.4T you can get a 2017 CPO GTI/GLI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rowdyzombie

Go Kart Newbie

That's the main reason I went with a 2018 SE - came from 2010 GTi for 9 years. The 1.8T has timing chain (latest revision chain and tensioner), decent tuning potential, and good economy.

The 1.4T has timing belt, no real tuning options, and the oil filter looks hard to change compared to 1.8T. Grab those 18's with 6 year warranty...I did.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
yes, I read this some months ago.

It makes sense considering the Jettas have had the 1.4t since 2016 and exclusively since 2019 model year.

The 1.8t is no slouch and was a good overall engine for power and economy. The 1.4t means you get economy but if you want real power you are forced into a GTI or R.

I had my 1.8t jetta APR tuned, it was 242 HP I think and 293 ft/lbs. Swear that thing had no right being as fast as it was. Theres no tunes for the 1.4t 2019 jetta right now, only a single piggyback and no other mods either. Theres no upgrade path at all.

I could possibly have a 2019 Jetta at my disposal if there’s a market for downpipes. Haven’t heard much interest in modding them though, since most just want a nice daily driver (which they are)

Square1

Go Kart Champion
They killed off the 2 door here in Canada as well. [emoji52]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Not sure why a timing belt would give anyone pause - what's the change interval on it, 90k miles?

I agree, nothing wrong with timing belts. Anyway, it's not like VAG timing chains and chain tensioners last a lifetime either, as a matter of fact both 1.8 and 2.0 engines have had timing chain / guide issues at some point throughout their existence.

DiscusInferno

Go Kart Newbie
All for better fuel economy and the fight for climate change.

Just be glad VW didn't bring over the 1.0TSI.

Or the new 1.5TSI ACT OPF, that makes the same HP/Torque figures as the 1.4TSI we have, or the Evo version, with 128 hp/147 lb-ft.

In case you wonder what OPF is? Otto Particulate Filter.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I think the 1.4T will appeal to fuel misers. My wife's Mk6 Jetta with 1.4T got 45 mpg on its maiden voyage from Cleveland to SE Virginia. Given the price spread between RUG and diesel fuel, that's financially the same as getting 54 mpg in a TDI. I'll take it!

What I didn't like about the 1.4T is its 150 hp. If someone is playing "speed games" on the interstate (won't let you pass, despite the fact that your longterm cruising speed is clearly higher than theirs), you pretty much just have to sit there and take it. I really wanted to be in my GTI at that point. :rolleyes:

I think former TDI owners will jump on the 1.4T; everyone else will go straight to the GTI (or switch brands).

jcme0557

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm afraid its only a sign of the times. VW is trying to make the cheapest, most efficient, vehicle it can. They are putting their limited money into driver aids and technology gizmos, not power output and driving dynamics.

Most people have no idea what engine is under the hood of their car. They don't really care beyond it starting, accelerating fast, getting good gas mileage, and not breaking down.

I guess the real question is: can VW make Golfs or Jettas that appeal to their traditional buyers, while they simultaneously capture the interest of people who would normally buy Civics and Corollas?

tigeo

Autocross Champion