GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VCDS

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
IMHO, this should be the first thing you buy. It's only $199 https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/vchv2_ent/

The only problem is you need to know how and when to use it. I had an Automatic Climate Control fault that I thought pointed to a bad actuator. Since it was still under an extended warranty, I took it into a dealer. Turned out I only needed the basic settings reset. You know a dealer would have gladly removed my dash and replaced the actuator instead of (at the time) only charging me a $175 labor charge. Probably $205 today. R-T does not compensate me in the least for my advocating their product. I just think, most people here spend a whole lot more for things to make their cars look and run better, why not be able to help yourself know more about your car and possibly save you money in the long run. I would buy VCDS instead of worrying about how much intake noise your car makes.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
@The Fed: Hmm......... I agree with the general premise in your post.

However, I would change the focus of your words away from specifically purchasing a Ross-Tech product - to a more generic message about having access to a good diagnostic device in general (of which VCDS is but ONE example).

Truth is that there are other good dianostic devices when considering this first purchase decision. For example. I have used VCP, VCDS and OBDeleven (OBD11) for many years. Each has its own merits and disadvantages - ALL three are very good - but No single diagnostic device is perfect !

So, in support of your words, I would add that instead of automatically targeting VCDS, prospective buyers of a diagnostic device should do their homework before they throw money at a purchase.

Read the seller's marketing material with a degree of skepticism - a much better source of information is user comments on forums (IMO of course).

Consider more than just the product cost - understand the ongoing cost (if any). Also look at what the device CAN do and perhaps more importantly - what the diagnostic device can't do.

For example, despite many, many years of Ross-Tech promising to have a solution to unlock access restrictions to the latest VAG vehicles - VCDS still doesn't have a solution to SFD (which is the name given to the latest protection protocols). This means that VCDS can NOT access a major part of the fleet built after 2020/2021 without users getting a token from other diagnostic devices. In contrast, OBD11 has seamless access to SFD.

VAG (being the parent company for VW/Audi etc) is now implementing a second generation SFD and the protocol is being extended to more models in the fleet - so this problem is NOT one that will go away. This means that VCDS is NOT suitable for an increasing number of modern cars (at least for the present time)!!!

Don't get me wrong - as I said "NO diagnostic device is perfect" and OBD11 has its own limitations (and advantages).

Again, my message of support for your position is MAKE YOUR PURCHASING DECISION AS AN INFORMED CHOICE - do the research, read user reports and purchase a diagnostic device that suits your personal needs (which will be different to other user's needs) and of course, that suits your car(s) both current and in the future!!

Don
PS: another useful bit of advice for new-bee owners of diagnostic devices is -try to make a few errors - because errors can be the best learning environment!!

Last edited: