GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VAQ E-diff for sale (+ DSG mount)

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
- Used VAQ E-diff (145k miles) with pump and control module, serviced every 30k miles, no problem at time of removal (0d9409055A) - $150
- Used (20k miles) dsg transmission mount (5q0199555bk) - $20
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
Do you by chance know the efficacy of swapping the OEM VAQ PP diff onto a non-pp "S" trim car? Probably makes more sense to just go mechanical LSD anyhow, but I wonder if it's feasible to do as a DIY project.

Last edited:

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Do you by chance know the efficacy of swapping the OEM VAQ PP diff onto a non-pp "S" trimmed car? Probably makes more sense to just go mechanical LSD anyhow, but I wonder if it's feasible to do as a DIY project.

I wouldn’t have a clue, I would imagine it’s quite involved.

I removed this one because I had to remove my DSG for an RMS job, and I had a brand new e-diff for dirt cheap. I thought f it why not since it’s very simple to install it the DSG is already out.

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
Describe "feasible" for us 😬.
Basically, I was asking if it's possible to install this diff into an open differential car without doing anything that would be a major headache. I figured if the trans is already coming out its better to just install a true mechanical diff anyway.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Basically, I was asking if it's possible to install this diff into an open differential car without doing anything that would be a major headache. I figured if the trans is already coming out its better to just install a true mechanical diff anyway.

I recall some transmissions don't have the holes machined/threaded for mounting the VAQ. Also would require sourcing new axle shaft(s). Plus of course lots of coding.

IMO not worth the hassle vs just buying a mechanical diff, would perform better plus would be lighter as well.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
One part number (inside the VAQ) is the only reason I'm not buying this to retrofit into my TDI, haha. I don't care enough about traction or driving quickly to do a mechanical diff... or even to care about the benefits of the VAQ for that matter. I do like retrofits though. The other "problem" with doing this is that if I'm dropping the subframe I'm also installing the faster steering rack from the Golf R so... more money and time.

I don't think there's much coding for the VAQ... 01-Engine, 03-ABS being the main ones. Coding for our ABS's is pretty well figured out, and the engine module has surprisingly little coding that can be done.

I've gotta drill a hole for the neutral position sensor anyway so that isn't deterring me too much, haha.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
One part number (inside the VAQ) is the only reason I'm not buying this to retrofit into my TDI, haha. I don't care enough about traction or driving quickly to do a mechanical diff... or even to care about the benefits of the VAQ for that matter. I do like retrofits though. The other "problem" with doing this is that if I'm dropping the subframe I'm also installing the faster steering rack from the Golf R so... more money and time.

I don't think there's much coding for the VAQ... 01-Engine, 03-ABS being the main ones. Coding for our ABS's is pretty well figured out, and the engine module has surprisingly little coding that can be done.

I've gotta drill a hole for the neutral position sensor anyway so that isn't deterring me too much, haha.

Which part number are you referring to? I also had no idea Golf R's had faster racks...I'm intrigued...

Updated post to reflect this E-Diff was serviced religiously every 30k miles since new.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
The entire thing has a different part number between DSG and 6MT, although all the parts except one are the same. It's possible the control module has different software but that's not a big concern.

6MT - 02Q 409 055 (or 055A it seems) Unofficial parts catalog but has never steered me wrong.
The part in question is item 10 - Flanged Shaft with PN 0CQ409355A

DSG - 0D9 409 055 (your part number) Again, unofficial but has not steered me wrong.
The part in question is item 10 - Flanged Shaft with PN 0CQ409355

Of course I don't know the actual difference between those two shaft part numbers. And the 0CQ 409 355 part is only $150 from my local dealer, but I also lack the knowledge, know how and desire to replace that part.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
The entire thing has a different part number between DSG and 6MT, although all the parts except one are the same. It's possible the control module has different software but that's not a big concern.

6MT - 02Q 409 055 (or 055A it seems) Unofficial parts catalog but has never steered me wrong.
The part in question is item 10 - Flanged Shaft with PN 0CQ409355A

DSG - 0D9 409 055 (your part number) Again, unofficial but has not steered me wrong.
The part in question is item 10 - Flanged Shaft with PN 0CQ409355

Of course I don't know the actual difference between those two shaft part numbers. And the 0CQ 409 355 part is only $150 from my local dealer, but I also lack the knowledge, know how and desire to replace that part.
It makes sense that the flanged shaft is different, considering manuals and DSGs use different axles, thanks for sharing.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
After this sells we can talk about... GTI/R with Dynamic Steering: 5Q1423056F - $1,775 (old MSRP, now $2,300... although I have one sitting in my storage 😶)
I'm fascinated, I love retrofits like this. Will need to do some research to find how exactly it's different and if it would play well with the GTI electrics.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Continued posts that are free bumps to sell that VAQ...
Golf without Dynamic Steering: 5QM423051B - $1,090 (this is likely in my car, a Golf TDI now)
Golf with Dynamic Steering: 5QM423053B - $1,320 (this seems like the "drop in" replacement rack for my car)
GTI without Dynamic Steering: 5Q1423055M - $1,775 (maybe this is the quicker rack but without the ability to adjust ratio)
GTI/R with Dynamic Steering: 5Q1423056F - $1,775 (this should be the quicker rack, with adjustable ratio)

Which might be described as follows:
Golf standard rack, the most turns lock-lock
Golf Dynamic rack, still the most turns but with adjustable ratio and/or assist
GTI standard, potentially fewer turns (but not confirmed) lock-lock than the two Golf racks
GTI/R Dynamic steering rack sort of discussed here, less turns and with adjustable ratio and/or assist

The wiring is the same across all the Golfs. I don't know the extent of physical/programming differences between the racks.
For what it's worth the steering rack has a dataset and the overall feel can be greatly affected by programming alone.
There's some discussion about TCR steering rack, including PNs (which has custom programming) here...
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-steering-feel-on-golf-r.421391/#post-7953282

If I were to come across some money to burn I would take a flyer on the 2018 TCR Rack PN 5FR423053B.
https://www.patriotraceengineering.com/product-page/steering-rack-repro-with-stoppers