GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

upgrade rotors?

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Has anyone upgraded their rotors/pads/stainless lines while keeping the stock caliper for track and street use? I want to get some grooved rotors that fit the OEM caliper. I do not want the ECS rotors because they are made in Taiwan. Also what are your experiences with pads for street AND track use? I know that most people recommend to just swap to a more aggressive track compound when you get to the track, but how easy is it to swap pads on the OEM caliper?

Thanks in advance!

Swoope

Ready to race!
Has anyone upgraded their rotors/pads/stainless lines while keeping the stock caliper for track and street use? I want to get some grooved rotors that fit the OEM caliper. I do not want the ECS rotors because they are made in Taiwan. Also what are your experiences with pads for street AND track use? I know that most people recommend to just swap to a more aggressive track compound when you get to the track, but how easy is it to swap pads on the OEM caliper?

Thanks in advance!

you will gain no noticeable benefit from swapping rotors until you are at a level of driving ability that is way past hpde.

i run cobalt friction on my rx8. they are race pads. i just make sure i warm them up as i start my journey to the track and pay attention..

i am going to give the ebc yellow stuff a try on my gti. i doubt they will be enough on track, but we will see.. so far i have 5 track days on the gti PP. 3 of them very hard.. braking is fine. i have all the stuff on the rx8. 2 piece rotors, ss lines, super fluid..

given that i can and have run the exact same wheels and tires on track the gti brakes just as well as the rx8.. the abs activates a bit sooner, but i think that is a fwd vs rwd and weight balance thing..

if you are newish to track time the best thing you can spend your money on is more track time..

i tend to be preachy about this stuff, that is because i did it all wrong. i started with a very modified car. best way is to start and learn on a stock car and move up with stuff as you learn what you need..

so far on the gti PP i have added an intercooler (fla. duh) and tune(it is amazing and better mpg). that is just for fun. for the track i will have on a new rear sway bar.. that is it..

but since you asked..

http://www.emmanueledesign.com/coll...ce-performance-lightweight-front-brake-rotors

i think these look pretty zesty. ;) and they have the rears also

beers

Last edited:

ImolaR

Ready to race!
I get the whole wait until you can extract more from the car because of inexperience. However if I wanted better brakes so I could go faster, I would just do a BBK. All i'm trying to improve is the safety aspect of the cars brakes. Just like putting in motul 600 brake fluid, and upgrading the pads so they last longer. This is for reliability and safety, not for faster lap times.

mamock116

Ready to race!
I had to upgrade the rotors on my due to the track pad eating the stock rotors away in just one weekend. I bought some cryo treated ones but dont have my first track weekend since installing them until the 30th of this month. Ill report back on how they do after the event.

AR11

Ready to race!
I get the whole wait until you can extract more from the car because of inexperience. However if I wanted better brakes so I could go faster, I would just do a BBK. All i'm trying to improve is the safety aspect of the cars brakes. Just like putting in motul 600 brake fluid, and upgrading the pads so they last longer. This is for reliability and safety, not for faster lap times.

Oh cut the crap. You want fancy rotors because they are cool. You and I both know the stock rotors and plenty "safe".

mamock116

Ready to race!
Just wanted to report back in that the cryo treated rotors handle the track pads just fine. They didn't get ate away like the stock rotors did with the same pads.

Giulio24

Passed Driver's Ed
I honestly don't understand why you're all freaked out about the stock pads/brakes on the R. I tracked mine many times with stock everything except for a stage 1 ecu tune and they have doing fantastic.

edge04

Ready to race!
not even sure where to begin answering this. Glad they are working out for you.

I honestly don't understand why you're all freaked out about the stock pads/brakes on the R. I tracked mine many times with stock everything except for a stage 1 ecu tune and they have doing fantastic.

1. Buy quality stuff or stay with stock.**
2. Improve ventilation if you track.
3. Get better tires.
4. Set brake assist to "weak" if you track.
5. Read existing threads.

given that i can and have run the exact same wheels and tires on track the gti brakes just as well as the rx8.. the abs activates a bit sooner, but i think that is a fwd vs rwd and weight balance thing.
That's caused by the hydraulic brake assist. ;) Any time you step onto your
brakes quickly it detects an emergency situation and it'll try to "help" you by
releasing full brake pressure, whether you want or not, and inevitably forcing
ABS to kick in and disturb any modulation. Try a different brake assist setting
before hitting a track next. This mod is a must as it's been on the Mk.V and
VI before.

;)

** EBC is rubbish. Quality pads are made by companies that are either
OEM or have a good reputation in racing or both, such as CL/Carbone-
Lorraine, Ferodo, Pagid, Endless, PFC, Brembo or Carbopad (not -tech).
Never cheap out on brakes or you'll pay twice.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
1. Buy quality stuff or stay with stock.**
2. Improve ventilation if you track.
3. Get better tires.
4. Set brake assist to "weak" if you track.
5. Read existing threads.

This!

** EBC is rubbish. Quality pads are made by companies that are either
OEM or have a good reputation in racing or both, such as CL/Carbone-
Lorraine, Ferodo, Pagid, Endless, PFC, Brembo or Carbopad (not -tech).
Never cheap out on brakes or you'll pay twice.
This x 2!!

Luvs2speed

Ready to race!
For you guys that swap between track and street pads, do you keep the same set of rotors. I am doing my first track day in about a month and I have stock rotors with 30k on them. Fluid has already been changed to Motul RBF600 and I am definitely going to do at least pads. Do you think I am ok with just pads as is or is a rotor replacement necessary.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
For you guys that swap between track and street pads, do you keep the same set of rotors. I am doing my first track day in about a month and I have stock rotors with 30k on them. Fluid has already been changed to Motul RBF600 and I am definitely going to do at least pads. Do you think I am ok with just pads as is or is a rotor replacement necessary.

As long as your rotors are within spec, they should be good to go. You're already changing pads and the fluid, so that's not a problem.

TBH: You're not going to get anywhere near threshold braking anyway with this being your first track day.
Just take it easy. Get a feel for the car on the track. Learn the proper line and DON'T scare your instructor. Remember, his/her life is in your hands too.

Remember: HAVE FUN!

Guess he's asking because some track pads don't 'like' to be run on the
same rotor as street pads due to the 'transfer layer' thing. ;)
IMHO it'll depend on the actual compound used. Hard to provide a general
rule, but I'd recommend to perform some kind of run-in procedure any time
you swap different pad compounds.

I have stock rotors with 30k on them.
Current rotor thickness? Obviously thermal capacity decreases with wear
= thinner rotor.

;)

edge04

Ready to race!
as badly states. what pads are you planning on tracking with? that (and not only that) will determine on whether or not you should swap rotors