GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

United Motorsports Gen5 Haldex for MQB Vehicles

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Bump.
Don't forget to review this when ready...
Sad this was not ready when snow

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
When is this actually happening?

RoyB2

Ready to race!
Here is a video of what my car is doing, and I suspect most everyone elses too.

https://youtu.be/QurLSo3w35k

Spins off the line a bit, car shifts into 2nd, bogs, then down shifts and picks up again. I am on 200 compound tires so I would expect a little less spinning. Next step is et radials on 17s.

I manually held 1st gear and got 12.1 with a 1.80 60'. There is more in it, just need the traction. Never would had thought I would have issues launching an awd car on the track.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
What rpm are you launching at and more importantly what is the boost at launch?

It looks like in that vid, it’s in the rain also? If you’re UM tuned, you know you can launch with the traction control on also, all you have to do is have the trans in S mode. So you can stay in normal mode, not race mode, leave traction on, put it in S mode and launch. Might be worth a try especially in the rain.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Here is a video of what my car is doing, and I suspect most everyone elses too.

https://youtu.be/QurLSo3w35k

Spins off the line a bit, car shifts into 2nd, bogs, then down shifts and picks up again. I am on 200 compound tires so I would expect a little less spinning. Next step is et radials on 17s.

I manually held 1st gear and got 12.1 with a 1.80 60'. There is more in it, just need the traction. Never would had thought I would have issues launching an awd car on the track.

That's the issue I had except it would just short shift @ 5k and bog into 2nd, did not downshift. Anyways I took off auto upshift in manual mode, I shift 1st to 2nd then slap it back into sport mode now. Problem solved... also i got the haldex tune, front wheels do not spin nearly as much on launch. I hit 3.2 to 60mph consistently now with 2k launch, heavy winter setup and wheel adaptors(5x100 to 5x112). I am waiting for this crazy winter weather in April to settle down before i figure out my summer wheels. :D

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
That's the issue I had except it would just short shift @ 5k and bog into 2nd, did not downshift. Anyways I took off auto upshift in manual mode, I shift 1st to 2nd then slap it back into sport mode now. Problem solved... also i got the haldex tune, front wheels do not spin nearly as much on launch. I hit 3.2 to 60mph consistently now with 2k launch, heavy winter setup and wheel adaptors(5x100 to 5x112). I am waiting for this crazy winter weather in April to settle down before i figure out my summer wheels. :D

When did you get the Haldex tune? Do you have before numbers for 0-60? What are you using to measure 0-60?

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
When did you get the Haldex tune? Do you have before numbers for 0-60? What are you using to measure 0-60?

p3 gauge.. i hit 3.2 on full launch with rear seat out and summer wheels once before. Now I am easily hitting 3.2-3.3 on the lowest launch and the winter wheels and full weight. I am pretty certain once I get the summer tires back on I will best my time.

RoyB2

Ready to race!
What rpm are you launching at and more importantly what is the boost at launch?

It looks like in that vid, it’s in the rain also? If you’re UM tuned, you know you can launch with the traction control on also, all you have to do is have the trans in S mode. So you can stay in normal mode, not race mode, leave traction on, put it in S mode and launch. Might be worth a try especially in the rain.

I believe around 3500-4K. It's hard to launch at 2K because it seems to still launch at 4K when I put my foot down.

It started to drizzle at the end of the night, but it was dry during the most of the night and I still had the issue.

I didn't realize you could launch with TC on. Actually, I found that out yesterday when I drove it to work and did a launch on the street. She just went. Little slippage but rpms weren't all over the place and wasn't shifting early. Guess I should drive my car more.

DonTuan

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been fortunate enough to be running this Haldex tune for almost 4 weeks now (~1500 miles of the last 32k). My thoughts/opinions are solely based on seat of the pants as NO scientific instruments were used plus it wasn't in a "controlled" environment.

Traction...traction everywhere!! When launching the car I get as much front wheel spin as when the car was stock. The initial launch or 60' feels like you're getting pushed and not pulled. Before when going into a turn and getting on the gas it would give an initial push (or understeer) before the back powered through the apex. Now it feels as though my rear is able to keep up with the front and there's less of that initial push or understeer along with less steering angle needed.

If you're looking to be the next drift king...save your money and put it towards a proper RWD or RWD biased AWD system which the Haldex is not. If you're looking to improve your launch and have a more "connected" AWD system then be happy that UM can offer this. I was skeptical/hesitant at first, but having put 30k miles on before doing this Haldex tune...all I know is whatever Jeff @ UM did has definitely improved my car from a performance standpoint.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I've been fortunate enough to be running this Haldex tune for almost 4 weeks now (~1500 miles of the last 32k). My thoughts/opinions are solely based on seat of the pants as NO scientific instruments were used plus it wasn't in a "controlled" environment.

Traction...traction everywhere!! When launching the car I get as much front wheel spin as when the car was stock. The initial launch or 60' feels like you're getting pushed and not pulled. Before when going into a turn and getting on the gas it would give an initial push (or understeer) before the back powered through the apex. Now it feels as though my rear is able to keep up with the front and there's less of that initial push or understeer along with less steering angle needed.

If you're looking to be the next drift king...save your money and put it towards a proper RWD or RWD biased AWD system which the Haldex is not. If you're looking to improve your launch and have a more "connected" AWD system then be happy that UM can offer this. I was skeptical/hesitant at first, but having put 30k miles on before doing this Haldex tune...all I know is whatever Jeff @ UM did has definitely improved my car from a performance standpoint.

You're not very good at keeping secrets ;)

DonTuan

Passed Driver's Ed
You're not very good at keeping secrets ;)

I wanted to spill the beans weeks ago, but was asked not to disclose until after WiTW...plus everything I’ve said has been echoed already in previous gen UM Haldex tunes ;)

Can’t wait to hit the strip this weekend and the track next month to really enjoy the mods done over this winter.

Last edited: