GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo upgrade for mk 7 1.8 tsi

viraltarget

Does anyone know/think that a turbo upgrade will be offered for the mk7 1.8tsi golf? I know that Apr tunes available offer great power/torque but I am wondering if it will be able to reach numbers higher than 300hp/torque without severe issues. Last gen 1.8 tsi got the K04 upgrade but that was before the mqb platform.I was thinking how a gt28 or even K04 would do on this car. I was too broke to get a gti and almost got the manual but didn't because my commute is full of traffic. So I settled for the automatic 1.8 tsi. Certainly this car is nowhere close to the gti but it does have potential to get better. Any ideas/suggestions/thoughts on improving performance,looks and handling on this car would be really appreciated.
Thanks!

From what I understand our cylinder head and exhaust manifold are integrated, and the turbo mounting flange is special to VW only. This means that the most cost effective way would be to custom fab up an adapter to go from the VW flange to a standard T3 flange. The only issue is engine bay clearance. Expensive way would be to custom fab up a new cylinder head that allows a traditional style exhaust manifold.

Other issues include that the turbo set-up is water and oil cooled, so turbo choice isn't necessarily limited, but certainly poses more feed and drain line fabrication. It not only needs to feed and drain oil, it also needs to feed and drain coolant. That, or you could fab up a coolant bypass line that would bypass (whoa) the turbo and go straight from feed fitting to drain fitting.

Tuning is another issue, because AFAIK APR is the only company who has cracked the ECU Protectant Code. It's not as simple as connecting a laptop to the OBD-II port anymore (AFAIK). So, after you put on the new turbocharger that you had to custom fabricate everything for, the car wouldn't run right with the stock computer. This means you might have to call up a company like Haltech to give you a nice tunable ECU that'll work with your sensors.

Now, I've heard rumors that the 292hp 2.0TSI EA888 Turbocharger fits on our cars, but no one has done it AFAIK. Again, the tuning issue is what causes a problem. If your car would need a custom ECU Flash, there's no telling that someone would be willing to do it for you on the stock computer.

Also, I know the MT 1.8's don't have a TCU, but I'm not too sure about the 5 Speed A/T's either, so again another barrier.

In my opinion I would get all of the available tuning. This means APR Stage 2 Tune, Aftermarket Intake, APR Downpipe, 3" TBE, Turbo Muffler Delete, Better Intercooler, Aftermarket Intercooler Piping, Aftermarket Engine Mounts to get most power to the ground, and if that's not enough consider water-methanol injection.

Disclaimer: Everything I've said is on a AFAIK basis. I'm not promising any claims I've made, but just things that I've heard or learned from researching myself.

Edit: http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volks...-Induction/Turbo-Kits/IHI-IS38-Turbo-Kit.html I found this.

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
You couldn't afford a GTI, so you got a Golf. But you can afford a turbo upgrade? Mixed signals, I'm confused. The amount of modification required would be prohibitively expensive. Just go FBO man. That'll be a lot safer too

Bent form NY jKone fyi jabberwock

AK89

Passed Driver's Ed
You can fit gti/r turbo- I'll go that way when mine will blow. Or I'll just go full retard and switch to 6.3amg.

But being serious- You can swap turbo- AFAIK there's a "kit" which is designed to be bolt on, but prepare for additional charges for catted downpipe. Second thing- You'll need a tune. Third- there's no evidence how a/t will handle that- it just can fall apart. The same thing goes to manual- 6spd mt paired with ea888 1.8 are fragile- they'll handle even 330ft/lbs- but nobody can give an answer for how long.

viraltarget

You couldn't afford a GTI, so you got a Golf. But you can afford a turbo upgrade? Mixed signals, I'm confused. The amount of modification required would be prohibitively expensive. Just go FBO man. That'll be a lot safer too

Yeah man I couldn't get the GTI right off the back since monthly payments were higher for insurance and the car itself. I didn't want to end up being stuck with a monthly payment amount I couldn't afford. I can save money and eventually afford mods but if I can't afford the monthly payments, I would be screwed.

viraltarget

From what I understand our cylinder head and exhaust manifold are integrated, and the turbo mounting flange is special to VW only. This means that the most cost effective way would be to custom fab up an adapter to go from the VW flange to a standard T3 flange. The only issue is engine bay clearance. Expensive way would be to custom fab up a new cylinder head that allows a traditional style exhaust manifold.

Other issues include that the turbo set-up is water and oil cooled, so turbo choice isn't necessarily limited, but certainly poses more feed and drain line fabrication. It not only needs to feed and drain oil, it also needs to feed and drain coolant. That, or you could fab up a coolant bypass line that would bypass (whoa) the turbo and go straight from feed fitting to drain fitting.

Tuning is another issue, because AFAIK APR is the only company who has cracked the ECU Protectant Code. It's not as simple as connecting a laptop to the OBD-II port anymore (AFAIK). So, after you put on the new turbocharger that you had to custom fabricate everything for, the car wouldn't run right with the stock computer. This means you might have to call up a company like Haltech to give you a nice tunable ECU that'll work with your sensors.

Now, I've heard rumors that the 292hp 2.0TSI EA888 Turbocharger fits on our cars, but no one has done it AFAIK. Again, the tuning issue is what causes a problem. If your car would need a custom ECU Flash, there's no telling that someone would be willing to do it for you on the stock computer.

Also, I know the MT 1.8's don't have a TCU, but I'm not too sure about the 5 Speed A/T's either, so again another barrier.

In my opinion I would get all of the available tuning. This means APR Stage 2 Tune, Aftermarket Intake, APR Downpipe, 3" TBE, Turbo Muffler Delete, Better Intercooler, Aftermarket Intercooler Piping, Aftermarket Engine Mounts to get most power to the ground, and if that's not enough consider water-methanol injection.

Disclaimer: Everything I've said is on a AFAIK basis. I'm not promising any claims I've made, but just things that I've heard or learned from researching myself.

Edit: http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Volks...-Induction/Turbo-Kits/IHI-IS38-Turbo-Kit.html I found this.

Thats awesome! Just wondering if the transmission will be able to handle anything above 300hp or 300 lb.ft torque. Maybe the manual transmission could get away, but being a 6 speed automatic might cause problems. Wonder if transmission upgrades are possible...

viraltarget

You can fit gti/r turbo- I'll go that way when mine will blow. Or I'll just go full retard and switch to 6.3amg.

But being serious- You can swap turbo- AFAIK there's a "kit" which is designed to be bolt on, but prepare for additional charges for catted downpipe. Second thing- You'll need a tune. Third- there's no evidence how a/t will handle that- it just can fall apart. The same thing goes to manual- 6spd mt paired with ea888 1.8 are fragile- they'll handle even 330ft/lbs- but nobody can give an answer for how long.

I feel there are many possibilities if we can just figure out how to not destroy our transmissions lol

viraltarget

Thats awesome! Just wondering if the transmission will be able to handle anything above 300hp or 300 lb.ft torque. Maybe the manual transmission could get away, but being a 6 speed automatic might cause problems. Wonder if transmission upgrades are possible...

Kit is great but transmission could be an issue and it also doesn't have a tune for it lol

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Yeah especially with your AT... I'd just go FBO stock turbo stage 2

viraltarget

Yeah especially with your AT... I'd just go FBO stock turbo stage 2

FBO 1.8 Golf will give about 230 hp and 280torque to the wheel... Which is not bad, it is definitely a lot more fun. But I am hoping that in future, a turbo upgrade is available from APR just like it was for the 1.8T last gen. This gen is really different but I hope they can come up with something...regardless even the stock car is a pleasure to drive considering the fact that it is in the same class as a corolla or a civic.

Slick99

Ready to race!
Does anyone know the size of 1.8tsi turbo?

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Well as if this wasn't obvious but if a IS20 will fit, then clearly that would be the best option. Just have to see if all the IS12/20/38 turbos have the same flange. If so, it is only a matter of tuning.

Slick99

Ready to race!

Slick99

Ready to race!