GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Turbo Shaft Play

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
I did try and get a video but it was too shitty to see anything. I'm realizing I do have a very small amount of shaft play on my is20 on the exhaust side. Intake side didn't budge at all. I know it doesn't matter but it's a rev G with around 25k on it. Is there an acceptable level of shaft play? Or is it useless? Was literally about to start putting my car back to stock tomorrow.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
You should have zero in/out play...as in you should not be able to push the wheels deeper into the housings or pull them out at all.

Some side to side play is normal (required actually, by design). I've never been able to find a spec by IHI or VW for an acceptable amount. Some MFGs release those specs and others don't.

So, to get non scientific, you should be able to move the shaft side to side, but just a hair. Different specs for different turbos, but some Mitsu turbos are considered within spec until the wheels touch the housings. When you have oil pressure, the oil takes up space within the journal bearings and will take play out of the assembly, so if the wheel can touch the housing when dry, it can still run perfectly fine when wet (oil pressure) but that's the outer limit on those turbos.

No idea the limit for IHI, but being able to move it a hair side/side is normal and healthy. If it's feels sloppy, it probably is worn and on borrowed time. In/out should be zero. Any in/out play is abnormal and cause for concern (either the thrust bearing or the shaft is worn/damaged).

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
You should have zero in/out play...as in you should not be able to push the wheels deeper into the housings or pull them out at all.

Some side to side play is normal (required actually, by design). I've never been able to find a spec by IHI or VW for an acceptable amount. Some MFGs release those specs and others don't.

So, to get non scientific, you should be able to move the shaft side to side, but just a hair. Different specs for different turbos, but some Mitsu turbos are considered within spec until the wheels touch the housings. When you have oil pressure, the oil takes up space within the journal bearings and will take play out of the assembly, so if the wheel can touch the housing when dry, it can still run perfectly fine when wet (oil pressure) but that's the outer limit on those turbos.

No idea the limit for IHI, but being able to move it a hair side/side is normal and healthy. If it's feels sloppy, it probably is worn and on borrowed time. In/out should be zero. Any in/out play is abnormal and cause for concern (either the thrust bearing or the shaft is worn/damaged).

That works for me. Side to side didn't budge, only up and down. Thanks man.

MKVIISpec

Ready to race!
Hoon is completely correct. I always find it amusing when I see used turbos for sale with the comment of “zero shaft play”, or something to that extent. Turbos inherently have a tiny amount of shaft play. You’re likely fine.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Warning do not Google "shaft play"