GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Traded in my GTI because it needed a turbo replacement

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
What year GTI, miles, primary driving (city/highway/mix), and what repairs?
It was a 2015 with 75,000 miles on what I'd call mixed.
Even on short trips, I'd go the long way to bring the oil up to operating temp.
The three most recent repairs that failed one after each other since September were:
Water Pump.
Radiator Hose.
Oil Temperature Sensor.
Along with those, and since September - matter of fact it started up before the water pump failure - had been an intermittent shuddering of the car that I believe was a clogged injector - as I was able to greatly reduce it by running fuel injector cleaner though the gas tank.
It might not sound like a lot, but essentially these problems took me all through the winter - rendered the car untrustworthy as I had to call for a tow all those times.
I'm still lurking on this forum because I'd love to see the car show up.
It's a beautifully maintained, and garaged car. I have all of the service records.
Hopefully the new owner is in the clear on repairs for a while.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It was a 2015 with 75,000 miles on what I'd call mixed.
Even on short trips, I'd go the long way to bring the oil up to operating temp.
The three most recent repairs that failed one after each other since September were:
Water Pump.
Radiator Hose.
Oil Temperature Sensor.
Along with those, and since September - matter of fact it started up before the water pump failure - had been an intermittent shuddering of the car that I believe was a clogged injector - as I was able to greatly reduce it by running fuel injector cleaner though the gas tank.
It might not sound like a lot, but essentially these problems took me all through the winter - rendered the car untrustworthy as I had to call for a tow all those times.
I'm still lurking on this forum because I'd love to see the car show up.
It's a beautifully maintained, and garaged car. I have all of the service records.
Hopefully the new owner is in the clear on repairs for a while.
It was a mistake getting rid of it. Your car was super clean. What you listed there were not issues, and were all solvable in an afternoon. Now you drive a NA crossover and are trying to convince yourself that it's not much different from the GTI. But it is. It is completely different and deep down you know it. You used to get the nod from cool kids; now, people will purposely push their shopping carts into your car. You should go get a cornflower blue rabbit.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
It was a mistake getting rid of it. Your car was super clean. What you listed there were not issues, and were all solvable in an afternoon. Now you drive a NA crossover and are trying to convince yourself that it's not much different from the GTI. But it is. It is completely different and deep down you know it. You used to get the nod from cool kids; now, people will purposely push their shopping carts into your car. You should go get a cornflower blue rabbit.
No mistake.
Thousands of dollars, and a car I couldn't depend on to go any distance in particularly at night, in the cold, or with my wife.
I don't need a nod from cool kids.
Truth is, on every road I drove the GTI on, the Mazda is better.
The only thing I can't do is take some entrance and exit ramps at quite the speed I occasionally used to.
A minute trade off, because many cases, I can now continue driving at a higher rate of speed because I don't need to bring the vehicle to a near stop over broken pavement or sharp dip in the road.
The rest of the time the Mazda is quieter, feels a whole step up in luxury and refinement wise, has Apple Car Play - a huge plus I hadn't realized how much I'd like, plus some safety features like blind spot monitoring, and cross traffic alerts I also don't really need but are really nice.
Most importantly now, I can go places without worrying about the car being crippled by a small pothole.
I can go down a gravel or dirt road, I can drive over protestors.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
No mistake.
Thousands of dollars, and a car I couldn't depend on to go any distance in particularly at night, in the cold, or with my wife.
I don't need a nod from cool kids.
Truth is, on every road I drove the GTI on, the Mazda is better.
The only thing I can't do is take some entrance and exit ramps at quite the speed I occasionally used to.
A minute trade off, because many cases, I can now continue driving at a higher rate of speed because I don't need to bring the vehicle to a near stop over broken pavement or sharp dip in the road.
The rest of the time the Mazda is quieter, feels a whole step up in luxury and refinement wise, has Apple Car Play - a huge plus I hadn't realized how much I'd like, plus some safety features like blind spot monitoring, and cross traffic alerts I also don't really need but are really nice.
Most importantly now, I can go places without worrying about the car being crippled by a small pothole.
I can go down a gravel or dirt road, I can drive over protestors.
Sure, but your car was pimp, man. Injectors you get done while doing the water pump... I hear you, I just would have kept your GTI and got the Mazda in addition.

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
When I read the list I was like "that's it?" I admittedly have a different perspective as I insisted on keeping a 944 going as a DD for about 15 years ("well that was expensive now I have to keep it awhile longer" x how many times)....

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
When I read the list I was like "that's it?" I admittedly have a different perspective as I insisted on keeping a 944 going as a DD for about 15 years ("well that was expensive now I have to keep it awhile longer" x how many times)....
Half a year of limited driving range, constant uncertainty, and frequent tows.
That's no way to live.
I was really trying to keep that car.