GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Track Day Prep

CeleritasPrime

Ready to race!
I am preparing for my second track day. Currently my car (2017 GTI Sport) has "dealer" Castrol 5w-40 with around 1500 miles installed. Weather will be around 82F according to the forecasts. This is an SCCA Track Night in America event, so it's three 20-minute sessions. The car is completely, completely stock.

Is there a consensus on whether the OEM 5w-40 oil is up for the job? If not should a higher weight be considered, and if so what brand(s)?

Are there any other go-to recommendations for things like brake fluid or other prep tips?

Carlos Fandango

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTD DSG
I used to do a lot of track days in my old 964RS, your engine oil will be fine, only mod I did was to use competition brake fluid as the standard stuff does struggle to cope after a few laps.

Only other change was a spare set of wheels with P Zero C tyres on them.

Last edited:

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Line of credit @ the bank or plenty cash in case something breaks (or crash) beyond warranty coverage would be good track prep. :).

CeleritasPrime

Ready to race!
I used to do a lot of track days in my old 964RS, your engine oil will be fine, only mod I did was to use competition brake fluid as the standard stuff does struggle to cope after a few laps.

Only other change was a spare set of wheels with P Zero C tyres on them.

That looks like waaaaay fun. I bet that RS is worth a mint now. A friend of mine in London still puts lots of miles on his 993TT and it is a great car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EDIT -- now that I'm home on my PC I can see the grin on your face. Fantastic!

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion
I have track day insurance for the crash and will cross my fingers for the mechanical part. I drive gently on the track. Honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gently on the track..? psh that's for the streets. Balls to the wall on the track. :p

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I don't track my car, but I do occasional mountain runs. Getting ready for spring, so I'll be swapping out the PP rotors and pads because both are nearing the end of their lives at only 43k. Should I bother with upgraded fluid? Coming up on a flush at 50k anyway, so thinking it can't hurt. What about SS lines? Are they worth the cost for a daily driver that sees occasional spirited driving? Maybe an autox or 2 this year if I'm feeling adventurous.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I don't track my car, but I do occasional mountain runs. Getting ready for spring, so I'll be swapping out the PP rotors and pads because both are nearing the end of their lives at only 43k. Should I bother with upgraded fluid? Coming up on a flush at 50k anyway, so thinking it can't hurt. What about SS lines? Are they worth the cost for a daily driver that sees occasional spirited driving? Maybe an autox or 2 this year if I'm feeling adventurous.

You might as well upgrade to DOT 4 if you're flushing the system anyway, not much more expensive. You probably won't need it just doing mountain runs and the occasional AutoX but wouldn't hurt.

As for SS lines, they mainly for more consistent feel since they don't expand under heat like stock rubber ones. I plan on adding them at some point just for that. I also like the idea of steel vs rubber, too.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Cars's stock? Awesome have fun!

I use mobile 1 when its on sale at Walmart and Liqui moly for race season. You will be fine in as stock format. One thing to keep an eye on is your tire pressure and your brakes. The GTI brakes are great stock but if you find yourself constantly on them, they will start the heat up after a couple 100-30mph zones so give your self-plenty of time since it's just for fun. If you are looking for a great daily/trackpad I run the Ferodo DS2500 the BEST pad i have ever used and wonderful street characteristics and handles HDPE/TIme attack events just fine after a year of use, including winter.

TL:DR-Oils fine just fine, keep an eye on tire pressure and brake pad temps/condition. have fun!

AERO

Go Kart Newbie
Go easy on the brakes! Most people don't realize how hard track driving is on the brakes, they will get hot. Fluid will boil and cars go off the track when the brakes fail.

I've seen numerous car fly off into the dirt at the end of a fast section as their brake pedal went to the floor. A couple years ago car and driver magazine was track testing a 370Z with a nismo track pack and the brakes completely failed on lap 1.

Just go easy on the brakes and remember the number one goal of the track day is to be able to drive your car home at the end

hooville

Go Kart Newbie

AtlantaDad,

Mk7s come stock with DOT4 brake fluid, so stick with it: DOT 3 & DOT 5 brake fluids are No-Nos! :D

I have never used SS lines on a VW or a newer car, but I put a set on a '78 Datsun 280Z and the difference between the 15 year old rubber lines and the stainless was dramatic. They will not improve the brakes on your car but should enhance pedal feel/feedback and that is not a bad thing.

Motul RBF600 & ATE Type 200 are both excellent choices. IIRC Motul has slightly higher wet & dry boiling points but the ATE is about half the cost. I'm in the same boat with occasional Auto-X and some spirited mountain trips and have used ATE for 20+ years in all my rides with no issues when changed every 2 years. If you track your GTI hard (and why wouldn't you!) I would recommend changing the fluid after each event - cheap insurance. Same if you overheat your brakes having fun in the hills!

Hope to see you around Suches sometime!

Kent

Swoope

Ready to race!
if you are talking about the event on the 13th at pbir, i will be there..

look for an rx8 and a miniGP. really if you are just starting you really just need to have fun and focus on the line..

i tracked my 15 gti pp for about 1k miles stock, except for tires.. the stock pads did well. better than ebc yellowcrap.

beers