GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TPMS and new wheels

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
No TPMS sensors on Golf.
When changing or setting air pressure, you go into main panel and reset the tire pressure system.
If you get new wheels or tires, reset the same system.
VW used speed rotation to determine if the tires circumference has changed to alert on pressure.
Less pressure smaller tire so it alerts.

No electronics inside wheel/tire.

cb1111

No TPMS sensors on Golf.
When changing or setting air pressure, you go into main panel and reset the tire pressure system.
If you get new wheels or tires, reset the same system.
VW used speed rotation to determine if the tires circumference has changed to alert on pressure.
Less pressure smaller tire so it alerts.

No electronics inside wheel/tire.
This is the correct answer, but....
Orange Electronics had a kit but I think they discontinued it. I have it and it's great. And here's another kit from Ali Express.I don't know anything about it though.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32962...tedetail&spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.545a2e0efjLec3
...if you want to waste money then you can add an aftermarket kit that may, or may not, work.

The active TPMS (sensor based) is more accurate (sensitive) that the passive (ABS based) system, but both will alert to a catastrophic failure.

What the ABS system won't do, is alert you to time and temperature based air loss. A "good" tire will lose about 1psi per month and the pressure will fluctuate by 1psi for every 10 degree change in temps (up as temps increase, down as temps decrease).

The VW system works by calculating the speed differences between the different tires, so if one tire loses air the rotational speed of that tire changes and the system will alert you.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
This is the correct answer, but....

...if you want to waste money then you can add an aftermarket kit that may, or may not, work.

The active TPMS (sensor based) is more accurate (sensitive) that the passive (ABS based) system, but both will alert to a catastrophic failure.

What the ABS system won't do, is alert you to time and temperature based air loss. A "good" tire will lose about 1psi per month and the pressure will fluctuate by 1psi for every 10 degree change in temps (up as temps increase, down as temps decrease).

The VW system works by calculating the speed differences between the different tires, so if one tire loses air the rotational speed of that tire changes and the system will alert you.
My Orange Electronics TPMS works great.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Good. Can you still buy it - and what features does it give you that the stock system doesn't?
Can only buy the Ali Express one that I'm I'm aware of. What I like about the TPMS vs ABS method is being able to see the exact air pressure in each individual tire. When I had the OEM ABS one I got tired of getting a low tire warning and having to continually check it all day to make sure it wasn't actually leaking so I could get my deliveries done before filling it up. Was a pain to grab the air gauge and waste my time. The ABS method was off after every balance and rotation or on colder mornings. It simply was intrusive for how often it cried wolf over 3 lbs of air. Now when Discount Tires fills my tires I sit there and verify in real time how much air they are putting in per my request.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Can only buy the Ali Express one that I'm I'm aware of. What I like about the TPMS vs ABS method is being able to see the exact air pressure in each individual tire. When I had the OEM ABS one I got tired of getting a low tire warning and having to continually check it all day to make sure it wasn't actually leaking so I could get my deliveries done before filling it up. Was a pain to grab the air gauge and waste my time. The ABS method was off after every balance and rotation or on colder mornings. It simply was intrusive for how often it cried wolf over 3 lbs of air. Now when Discount Tires fills my tires I sit there and verify in real time how much air they are putting in per my request.

Does that system interface with the car's computer?

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
There is a thread running around with the retrofit. Same as with the Orange, but you have to do the programing with VCDS or OBDEleven. I am considering it for the same reason Jim stated. You can check the temps per tire in real time. I asked Discount Tire to fill my new tires at 37 (I went from OEM to 245/40/18 so I was trying a slightly lower pressure, I used 35 on my Camaro 1LE) and the car felt weird on the way home. I measured 37 only on one tire and 43 on the others.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
There is a thread running around with the retrofit. Same as with the Orange, but you have to do the programing with VCDS or OBDEleven. I am considering it for the same reason Jim stated. You can check the temps per tire in real time. I asked Discount Tire to fill my new tires at 37 (I went from OEM to 245/40/18 so I was trying a slightly lower pressure, I used 35 on my Camaro 1LE) and the car felt weird on the way home. I measured 37 only on one tire and 43 on the others.
It's really not a bad idea if you're not someone that changes wheels often.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
It's really not a bad idea if you're not someone that changes wheels often.
definitely. I am digging the no-TPMS as I have an extra set with summer tires. We don't get that cold here, but last year we had a few weeks with snow and sub-30 degree days so I decided to keep the OEM wheels with all-season tires to swap back. If I decide to finally do the TPMS I will buy sensors for both sets, so all I have to do is reprogram them when I swap.