GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Throttle Delay

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Is there a way to fix this stupid problem? It's so annoying.

I have to basically reset my throttle body on a weekly basis to get somewhat normal throttle response, but even after a reset, issue always comes back. To summarize the problem, imagine you try to rev your car in neutral to test it out for responsiveness, but then the rpm's dont even move, so you do it again and then the rpms sort of increase, so you do it a third time and finally the engine responds somewhat normally with a real rev but still kinda trash and not super responsive. I don't know how else to describe. It's like I push the pedal and don't get anything out of it - what??? Only way that's fixed it kind of is to do the throttle body reset where you push down the pedal.

This started happening immediately after I got a trans swap done at the shop because I drove kinda crazy one day and broke 4th gear on the original trans.

Is there a way to systematically determine what the hell this is? Questions like, do I need a new throttle body, do I need to do a throttle body adaption or is that hit or miss and could mess things up worse, do I need to replace something completely different? Is it a sensor?

I really don't want to do this fix through a shop because nobody is gonna believe it and it's sometimes a problem and sometimes it's not type of thing

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I think if I had this issue I'd be logging and seeing where the breakdown is i.e. where your stepping on the pedal gets ignored or lost and not turned into revs. Things like accelerator pedal position, throttle body open %, etc. I'm sure someone knows more parameters that you could log. Also, do you see any difference if your foot is off the clutch vs. pressing it down? Is it non-responsive when you're trying to take off from a stop? You could monitor the clutch position sensor to see if it's getting the right signals - from some experimenting I found that the throttle behaves pretty differently depending on whether the ECU thinks the clutch is in or not. just some ideas. (do you have a clutch stop btw?)

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
I think if I had this issue I'd be logging and seeing where the breakdown is i.e. where your stepping on the pedal gets ignored or lost and not turned into revs. Things like accelerator pedal position, throttle body open %, etc. I'm sure someone knows more parameters that you could log. Also, do you see any difference if your foot is off the clutch vs. pressing it down? Is it non-responsive when you're trying to take off from a stop? You could monitor the clutch position sensor to see if it's getting the right signals - from some experimenting I found that the throttle behaves pretty differently depending on whether the ECU thinks the clutch is in or not. just some ideas. (do you have a clutch stop btw?)
doesn't appear to be the accel pedal position based on logs

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Throttle delay again. Imagine trying to blip the throttle to downshift and you have to wait multiple seconds for the revs to finally react before you can get off the clutch pedal. Yet another annoying thing about this problem. This lag is crazy. Have to do the gas pedal throttle reset thing again

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Is it not the normal delay with a dual mass flywheel? I get the same thing. Try to blip the throttle, nothing happens. Need to keep my foot on the pedal to get the revs to rise. Solution would be to switch to a single mass flywheel.

McBrian

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf 4D 5MT
Going to a SMF helps a bunch, i used to hate how slowly my car gained/lossed revs when shifting etc so I tried all the basics and it didn't seem to do anything. Just a stage 2 daily clutch from South bend made the biggest difference.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Look at the latest video below. I did my throttle reset thing today via the gas pedal because I was noticing weird throttle response again. Car barely started, then couldn’t get into second gear because when letting off the gas pedal in first to then clutch in, the car hesitated violently. I then sat that in shock because I’ve never seen my MK7 behave this way. I restarted the car and it’s fine now.

Careful with the throttle reset thing….Although it can help, it totally messed with things today.

Still have no idea where the root cause of all this is

I think when this thing was in the shop for the trans, something happened with the throttle body. Without knowing any better, I am considering a new throttle body.

Anyone know?

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
You sure it's not the trans? You said it started right after you put it in; that seems to be the variable that changed.

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
You sure it's not the trans? You said it started right after you put it in; that seems to be the variable that changed.
Ya ya this a legit question, I appreciate you mentioning that. I think maybe the root cause could be the trans that was swapped in. Not sure exactly then there’s anything I can do or what I would further trouble shoot. The shop would say I’m outside the warranty period. I tried explaining to them already in the past during the warranty period and they weren’t taking it seriously. But I’m just not sure. Can’t afford another trans.

I’ve been thinking along the lines of throttle issues because Only thing that I know for sure is that I have some very interesting control on the behavior if I just play with throttle body resets. The issues are throttle delay, I rev, and it’s slow to react. This also impacts shifts. If I do a throttle reset, a lot of those problems go away but also sometimes doing the reset can cause very weird behavior as shown in the video.

Super bummed. I’m hesitant to try a throttle body install myself as there are no videos online and I fear I’ll somehow make the problem worse. For the same reason, I’m hesistant to try throttle body recalibrations

Last edited:

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Did you ever figure this out?

Is your car able to build boost pressure? Are there any leaks leading up to the throttle body? Have you checked for any engine codes?

I had an issue with my throttle body once and was also having a boost leak at that time. Unplugging/reconnecting the TPS sensor and tightening all the clamps on the pipes leading up to the intake manifold solved the problem ~

SmoothCat565

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 VW MKVII GTI
Did you ever figure this out?

Is your car able to build boost pressure? Are there any leaks leading up to the throttle body? Have you checked for any engine codes?

I had an issue with my throttle body once and was also having a boost leak at that time. Unplugging/reconnecting the TPS sensor and tightening all the clamps on the pipes leading up to the intake manifold solved the problem ~
I don’t really know how to check for boost leaks or boost pressure problems, I’ll be honest

Wait wait wait, can you detail how to find the TPS and exactly which clamps these are that you’re talking about?

Last edited:

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
I don’t really know how to check for boost leaks or boost pressure problems, I’ll be honest

Wait wait wait, can you detail how to find the TPS and exactly which clamps these are that you’re talking about?

Red circle is the connector I’m talking about..yellow one make sure is nice and tight..follow that pipe and make sure the other connections are on there tight ~

Attachments

• IMG_2143.jpeg
    IMG_2143.jpeg
    816.6 KB · Views: 29