GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

the ol' oil consumption

langer

i fix teefs
I came from a 2007 mkv gti, so I am very familiar with oil consumption. Probably burned at least 1 qt every 5k miles on that engine. But, up until now, I've had zero consumption with my 2018 mk7.5. Got the 'check oil level' dummy light yesterday about 4000 miles from last oil change. Car has 64000 miles. I did check oil level fairly consistently in first 20k miles, but there was zero change in levels early on, so I sorta let that slide. Is there anything that can suddenly burn off oil? pcv issues? No external leaks. I know I was right at top of dipstick mark after my last change.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
No leaks...has to be burning it, PCV, or going into the intercooler piping. Are you a habitual 10K oil changer? Can only go so many places, if you arent seeing anything.

langer

i fix teefs
No leaks...has to be burning it, PCV, or going into the intercooler piping. Are you a habitual 10K oil changer? Can only go so many places, if you arent seeing anything.
I change every 5k, on the nose. 502 oil, last change was liquimoly. I normally do topside oil change, but I’ll get under the car on next one to pop off intercooler piping. I also need to look for any coolant residue. Hopefully easy job with the silicone tubing I had put on with apr intercooler install?

langer

i fix teefs
Side note. Don’t be an idiot like me and forget to put your oil cap back on fully when you top off oil. Surging idle was my only clue.

19birel

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 - MK4 - B8.5
I'd wager PCV. I haven't run into this on my MK7.5 yet but my A4 (EA888.2 engine) randomly consumed 1qt within 3k miles and replacing the PCV remedied the issue. Wasn't really any symptoms to report of other than that but being that they're known to be problematic it's a good place to start.