GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TCU tune - Redline & shift behavior

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Is this normal behavior?

Scenario: M mode (manual) | auto upshift removed

If I redline (at fuel cutoff -- 6700rpm) and then manually shift the car (in M mode), the shift is brutal and harsh. Clearly, the car doesn't like to go at fuel / slightly beyond cutoff and then get shifted.

From what I gathered as information so far, this is normal. Since I'm hitting the engine limiter at almost the same time as the gear reduction, the TCU gets 'confused' and over compensate on the tq reduction.

Thoughts?

Disclaimer : there's obviously no use in going all the way up to fuel cutoff (unless BT). I know that! Just want to avoid potential damage to the DSG if this scenario ever happens.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

nype

Drag Racing Champion

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Marc what I do is stick it in manual for whatever gear I need to start my pull and once I am WOT I snap the lever back over to auto and let it do the upshifts.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Marc what I do is stick it in manual for whatever gear I need to start my pull and once I am WOT I snap the lever back over to auto and let it do the upshifts.

Ha! I never thought of that. Pretty good idea

Do you have auto upshift disabled in M?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
lol I guess.

Is there a legitimate reason to remove the auto upshift in M (manual) mode on a TCU tune?

AWD probably not, but FWD you definitely don't want auto upshift.

You spin, hit the shift limit, both you and the car shift at the same time, and you skip a gear.

I've done that quite a few times.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
AWD probably not, but FWD you definitely don't want auto upshift.

You spin, hit the shift limit, both you and the car shift at the same time, and you skip a gear.

I've done that quite a few times.

Good point. I’ve also done it in my GTI (double shift).

Although you can still spin AWD in least idea traction conditions...
I obviously want to avoid a double shift.

I’ve heard of people launching AWD MQB cars and car spins in 1st gear and auto shifts in 2nd gear (similar scenario as GTi)

nype

Drag Racing Champion

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
This sht right here is why I bought a stick.

This isn’t a manual vs dsg thread.
Please focus on the subject at hand.

BuyGerman

Ready to race!
wasn't my intention the dsg is dope i've driven them but it is an auto it's gonna act funny sometimes. what is your foot doing when you're shifting are you wide open and using paddles/lever or are you letting off? i have found in autos if you're taking it to redline it shifts better when you're wide and not letting off atleast that's how my bmw was and my girls jetta. if i was ever partial throttle shifting in sport mode in any car really it always clunked a little.