GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping to MIB2 + future Digital cluster

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GSW TDI DSG
I’m doing an MIB2 swap into my 2015 GSW. Im using a non nav computer - 3Q0035844 - and an 8” matte screen.

Question is - does the brain matter for doing digital cluster swap in the future, or will any MIB2 work? Or does having or not having MIB2 even matter?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I believe any MIB2 *should* work; at least I can confirm 844B (non-nav, "Composition Media") works with the cluster as that's what I'm running in my 2019 now with the digital cluster. As long as it has the fiber port for the MOST connection you should be good. It may depend on the revision version of the MIB (A or B) and also the version for the cluster (which also comes in A or B) but not sure exactly how they relate to one another.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
not 100% sure but I believe that MOST connection between MIB and VC/AID is required only for maps.
So if you have MIB2 Composition Media, it doesn't matter if it's MOST or non-MOST version, since Composition Media does not feature GPS navigation and will not have anything to send via MOST to VC/AID.

In Discover Media / Discover Pro MOST would be used to show maps on VC/AID.

CarPlay/AndroidAuto stays on the MIB display.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
not 100% sure but I believe that MOST connection between MIB and VC/AID is required only for maps.
So if you have MIB2 Composition Media, it doesn't matter if it's MOST or non-MOST version, since Composition Media does not feature GPS navigation and will not have anything to send via MOST to VC/AID.

I think MOST might also be used to show album art/radio station logos/phone contact photos? I've never gotten the latter to actually work but in theory (might be an MIB2High thing)

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 GSW TDI DSG
I believe any MIB2 *should* work; at least I can confirm 844B (non-nav, "Composition Media") works with the cluster as that's what I'm running in my 2019 now with the digital cluster. As long as it has the fiber port for the MOST connection you should be good. It may depend on the revision version of the MIB (A or B) and also the version for the cluster (which also comes in A or B) but not sure exactly how they relate to one another.
I’ve attached pictures of the one I’m intending to buy.

So if I wanted navigation on my dash, I would need a nav MIB since everything on CarPlay stays on the MIB screen? I can’t send Waze or another maps app over to the cluster?

Attachments

• 7A8F4EA9-9D59-47A9-8E3A-EFB42AE18E52.png
    7A8F4EA9-9D59-47A9-8E3A-EFB42AE18E52.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 62
  • 0731A39B-D456-42DA-9F26-F6A7A19ABE8D.png
    0731A39B-D456-42DA-9F26-F6A7A19ABE8D.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 43

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I’ve attached pictures of the one I’m intending to buy.

So if I wanted navigation on my dash, I would need a nav MIB since everything on CarPlay stays on the MIB screen? I can’t send Waze or another maps app over to the cluster?
Yeah that's the same MIB brain unit that comes in the non-navigation NAR Mk7.5 so should work fine; the port on the center bottom is where the fiber cable connects. And yeah if you want maps in the dash you'd need a navigation-capable MIB; CarPlay can't/doesn't send any information to the dash cluster unfortunately (not even song titles.) I'm currently retrofitting the Discover Media navigation MIB pretty much just to get maps in the dashboard. Part numbers vary but most common for NAR are 3Q0035876A/B and 3Q0035880B.