GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SuperPro Lower Control Arm Install/Review - Don't Need to drop Subframe for 6-Speed MANUAL

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I watched a few videos about installing the SuperPro LCAs and I wasn't too excited bout dropping the subframe, but lucky for us manuals we don't have to! :) And easy enough, you just need a flat heat screwdriver, 16mm & 18mm socket, 18mm socket wrench, a jack, and 2 stands.

As for feedback... these things make a very noticeable improvement during turn in and steering wheel feel. I'd attribute the improvements to the bushings for increased/improved feel and the extra bite during cornering due to the caster+camber - engineered and delivers as advertised. I'd highly recommend these.

I was a bit worried the wheels would rub, but no issues there on 19" 235/35/19.

Attachments

• IMG_9838.jpg
    IMG_9838.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 492
  • IMG_9841.jpg
    IMG_9841.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 597
  • IMG_9843.jpg
    IMG_9843.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 585

Navi

Autocross Champion
Looks good... I have the same ones. Did you notice a new popping/loose feeling that comes from the 3 piece duroball assembly in the rear bushing? I only started noticing this after installing the arms and I have double checked everything for proper torque. I have a feeling it's those two spacers used on the top and bottom of the rear bushing.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
Actually I did hear something. That's unfortunate. I hope it doesn't keep up. I daily drive my car :X

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I'll report back later today, recheck/retighten and see if it persists. Oh the joys of car mods. hah!

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
Curious to find out about the noise as well.
I installed mines back in November and were good for about a month, afterwards I started getting that loose suspension noise on road irregularities.
Since I've checked all bolts twice, had 2 mechanics check the entire suspension 3 times and they could not find anything obviously loose however the noise remains and was non-existent until I installed the SP LCAs.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
I think it was the 3 16mm bolts connected to the spindle. I didn't load the arms prior to tightening 'em. The sound wasn't what I could associate with the 2 18mm bolts connected to the subframe.

Mosquito

Go Kart Champion
I've been really tempted to install the OEM back just to find out, but I like how the car handles with the SP LCAs so much more so I know I would do the job twice. Such a shame about the noise though. Makes the car feel so cheap.

mmdb

Drag Racing Champion
hm weird. Mine were loaded when I tightened them. Now that you are back on stock control arms, is everything quiet?

Yeap everything is quiet so far. I've only driven on it for a few miles.

If it's not the 3 bolts... hmm... torque specs are pretty damn high... bout 70nm with 180 degree turn for the 18mm bolts to the subframe. I could only do bout 45 degree turn with all my might. Not sure if that has to do with it, but I do feel the subframe clamping down and bending.

I did contact SuperPro. Nice folks btw. They're unaware of any issues and were more than happy to help. I just didn't want to make the time. They are pretty stout pieces.