GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof Leak lawsuit

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Anyone get the Mail for the lawsuit for Gjonbalaj Vs VW sunroof leak. My sunroof used to leak a bunch before I patched it 3 times. Wondering if I can just get it replaced and get a refund 😂

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Anyone get the Mail for the lawsuit for Gjonbalaj Vs VW sunroof leak. My sunroof used to leak a bunch before I patched it 3 times. Wondering if I can just get it replaced and get a refund 😂
Just received mine yesterday.

drummingcraig

Passed Driver's Ed
Just recieved mine today. Unlike the water pump warranty extension this one appears to be heavily prorated. So my ‘17 with 79,5xx miles (and a leaky sunroof) would just make the cut, but it appears that they would only cover about 30% of repair costs. 😒

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
My 17 has 39k miles on it, about to roll over to 40k. While I can't see that I've leaked yet, does this mean if I were to take it to VW in the event that it did leak and required service, it would be covered to an extent?

Mostly asking because I've been super hesitant using the sunroof at all since I've heard the horror stories. Not only on the leaks, but I've heard of the area near the sunroof cracking, the sunroof itself potentially scratching the roof when it opens/closes. I mostly open the panel to let light in, but rarely have I opened it, lol. I didn't buy this car for the sunroof, it just came with it, so I'm not entirely upset about not using it all that much.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Just recieved mine today. Unlike the water pump warranty extension this one appears to be heavily prorated. So my ‘17 with 79,5xx miles (and a leaky sunroof) would just make the cut, but it appears that they would only cover about 30% of repair costs. 😒
Yeah, my '15 purchased in 2015 and with 73,000 miles on it now is in the same situation - though my sunroof has been great.
Much as I still love this car, I only plan to keep it another two years at the point I can collect Social Security. (age 62)
I'm just hoping and trying to keep major repairs and expenses at a minimum 'till then.

heftysmurf

Ready to race!
Before selling my 2016 it had the recall done and patched twice after. It leaked once more at 82k and the dealer would have covered half the cost but it would only have had 1 year of warranty and the same type of unit put in. I would have been outta pocket like $1800 and decided to upgrade to one of the last 2021 I could find out there without a sunroof.

amsr

Ready to race!
So I mean what is the repair? They replace it with the same faulty design but VW pays for part of it? What about the water damage?

Sportbikemike

Go Kart Newbie
So if you actually drive the car you're screwed? Mine's a '16 and just hit 87k so I get nothing? Wish I could just seal the shit out of it forever and not deal

nomunic

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7
Carbon roof time boys

gtitogolfr

Car(s)
GTI 2016
Mine failed at 57k miles. Luckily had extended warranty the covered the cost and so far at 92k miles and works fine. It is kinda crazy that these lawsuits go on for years and in the end they fix the design in later models and we are still stuck with the repair bill because of "useful" life even though a new one costs the same first year vs 10 years later but the amount you get back is majorly reduced.