GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stratified Automotive Custom Etune

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Let me clean this up. I am 5150 tuned and think Jon does a great job and is very knowledgeable on the platform. That being said, it doesn't mean that the way his tunes are done is the only way it can be done. Tuners have different approaches and do different things. You guys said your piece on thinking the AFR should be in the 12s, Cameron got it, I got it, the internet got it. If he is unsatisfied with the tune in the end he can try another tuner, if he is satisfied with the tune and the dyno it just gives more options and information about possible tuning methodologies.

Cameron good luck with your tune, hope it all works out. If it doesn't there are plenty of options out there.

Alex@Stratified

Go Kart Newbie
This is a good discussion - I like good discussion. AFR by itself can't be discussed by itself. Purely, AFRs will have a relatively minor effect on power. The constraint with DI engines is that the closer you inject to the spark event the poorer the air-fuel mix will be and you will lose some efficiency. That injection window shrinks with increasing RPM and with increasing fuel demand (with more airflow). So this has to be kept in mind. At the same time there are cooling and knock prevention benefits from running richer which allows to run more timing which increase power. By the same token a car running very poor fuel with little flow mods in the heat won't push the injection window envelope but can benefit from more cooling and the more timing.

This is what I meant that every variable has to be taken into context. My approach is to start off on the safer side and walk up. Eventually a limit (knock, fuel, etc) is reached and then you re-evaluate the variables to achieve an optimal result. It is simply part of the process.

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Dyno results in, Alex has shot me a tune Thursday morning to start adding power back in, so this isn't a final, either. Crazy smooth power delivery! Dyno jet, 2hr drive to facility, ambient air temp in garage was probably 60 and some what humid... It started raining a bit outside. Attaching graph when I'm home with hand calculated torque. 24.6 psi max on these runs. 93 octane 100% ethanol free

Run 1 345 hp/339tq
Run 2 349 hp/353tq

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Dyno results in, Alex has shot me a tune Thursday morning to start adding power back in, so this isn't a final, either. Crazy smooth power delivery! Dyno jet, 2hr drive to facility, ambient air temp in garage was probably 60 and some what humid... It started raining a bit outside. Attaching graph when I'm home with hand calculated torque. 24.6 psi max on these runs. 93 octane 100% ethanol free

Run 1 345 hp/339tq
Run 2 349 hp/353tq
Your is38 right?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

Cameron1292

Ready to race!

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Your is38 right?

Yes sir, here is the graph, really wish the torque line had appeared, but I think I I'll throw it on local dyno again once Alex is all finished up.

Attachments

• 20180217_150428-1354x1119.jpg
    20180217_150428-1354x1119.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 508

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Stratified AP/tune pkg is sold out.

Oh well, i'm waiting a few weeks to install the IS38 anyway.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
At least this goes for Cobb's iteration of a crackle tune. Don't know what APR does to keep CATs happy because they offer it on their stage 2 tunes and their downpipe is catted.

Per Cobb, there seems to be a safety parameter in place that protects the cat. Maybe it'll prevent the pop/crackle when the cat gets hot enough? I think I read that APR does the same thing.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=548596&postcount=14

Stock the car has a cat over-temp protection.

There is some power consistency to gain by turning it off, but it shouldn't be ran with it off if you have a cat.

I'm sure they leave it on.

The problem with the crackle tunes is it actually cools the cat down too much and causes it to basically get out of it's operating range in terms of temp. So when particulates(aka soot or unburnt fuel) happen they get caught in the cat. Later when the cat gets back up to operating temp, the particulates slow exhaust flow down to the point where the cat gets too hot. Car senses this, richens your AFR to cool the cat, and it all happens again. Vicious cycle until eventually you melt the metals in the cat and it gets clogged.

Don't think I need to explain why that's bad lol

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Here's a log from today. The latest revision.

https://datazap.me/u/cameron1292/stratified-v5-b?log=0&data=4-7

Bravo sir, credit where credit is due. This log looks AMAZING!!! I am VERY happy to see that this rev is leaps and bounds better than those previous ones.

Also, seeing Strat tune to the standard to which I would expect a great protuner should is very admirable.

Great tune Strat. Very excited to see how next revs go! I know we have been a bit harsh on tuners, but it is really to try to push them into doing their BEST not just mediocre and this rev I must say is great! Simply put this log alone has changed my outlook on Strat significantly. Seeing how they achieved this level of boost, timing, AFR etc. with 0 KR is awesome.

Final words are this, always push for the best from your service providers. Otherwise they will only be content with pushing out mediocre products.

Last edited:

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Yes sir, here is the graph, really wish the torque line had appeared, but I think I I'll throw it on local dyno again once Alex is all finished up.
That looks good. How's the logs for it look?

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Bravo sir, credit where credit is due. This log looks AMAZING!!! I am VERY happy to see that this rev is leaps and bounds better than those previous ones.

Also, seeing Strat tune to the standard to which I would expect a great protuner should is very admirable.

Great tune Strat. Very excited to see how next revs go! I know we have been a bit harsh on tuners, but it is really to try to push them into doing their BEST not just mediocre and this rev I must say is great! Simply put this log alone has changed my outlook on Strat significantly. Seeing how they achieved this level of boost, timing, AFR etc. with 0 KR is awesome.

Final words are this, always push for the best from your service providers. Otherwise they will only be content with pushing out mediocre products.
Yea I'm really happy with this last revision. All logs I took yesterday looked like this. Different Temps and time of day as well. This is why I wanted to wait until I got near the end to start getting really picky with it. Just even from my last rev this is like a whole new tune.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Stratified AP/tune pkg is sold out.

Oh well, i'm waiting a few weeks to install the IS38 anyway.
Alex is probably pretty busy so there out of stock. I noticed the last few weeks communication has gone from same day/next say to a few days in between. Still fantastic customer service I always had my questions answered and never felt out of the loop

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
That is a great looking log! Well done on all parameters!
That's why I didn't want to jump to conclusions when I was only 2 and 3 revisions in lol