GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stop Start on short journeys

Bonnyblink

Had the car just for 3 daus now and am well impressed.
More bells and whistles than a troupe of Morris dancers.
The AAC is a most interesting piece of technology.
Also was unaware that driving mode could be changed eg sport.
Although the manual says the engine needs to reach a certain temp before the s / s kicks in this must be surprisingly low as my gauge had not moved from 50 when it operated. So me thinks I will disengage it until I see it at 90.
The handbrake system is indeed good but this car makes you a tad lazy as it does so much for you !!!

codz

Passed Driver's Ed
I forgot to add the main response to your first questions, in theory S/S does all those settings before activating but in practice S/S is available after one minute of driving so the engine stops at first or second red light, I turn mine off also because I do very short trips and because as I told I don't like the shake when starting.

I see the engine (coolant and oil) is not even warm so with the engine cold the fuel consumption for starts is higher than just leaving it on until warming up. Anyway start/stop system saves just 0.3l/100km (up to one liter they say) so not much advantage, especially if you stand still just 10-20 seconds. If more then 30 seconds I understand, then it is helpful to use S/S in combination with AutoHold and control stopping the engine from the brake pedal (as discussed above).

SKT441

Passed Driver's Ed
As a high mileage driver I think the stop/start does improve fuel consumption significantly. I do not like the noise and rattle when the engine restarts, however this is a small price to pay for the cost saving,

Tahiti1

Passed Driver's Ed
I asked the dealer prior to PDI out of curiosity whether the stop start could be turned off and was told that they wouldn't do it.

It's a new one on me so I will see how I get on with it. Much like the electronic handbrake, I'm sure I'll get used to it.