GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stainless Steel Clutch Line Install

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Installed my KMD Tuning stainless steel clutch line this afternoon. It's a fairly easy job, just disconnect the OEM line from the slave bleeder on one end and clutch master cylinder on the other end, replace with the new line and then bleed the system. Both ends are held in with metal retaining clips.

To get access to both ends you will need to remove the air box, the battery, and the battery tray. The battery tray has three 10mm bolts and one 10mm nut at the locations in the pic below. The positive battery lead wires are zip tied to it so you will probably have to cut those free.

After removing the battery tray you will see where the clutch line connects to the clutch master cylinder against the firewall on the driver's side (#1 in the below pic). In the middle of the line there is a clip (#3 in the below pic) holding it to the side. It is underneath where the arrow is pointing and just lifts out by hand if you feel around underneath:

I removed the clutch master cylinder end first with two small screwdrivers. One to push the bottom of the retaining clip up, and one to pry underneath the top of the clip and pull it out. Space is limited so this took some patience. Also this clip does not have a stop so don't pry so hard that it goes flying into the engine bay and gets lost.

Once the retaining clip is out just pull the hose out. It requires a bit of force. Some fluid will spill so be ready to catch it with a towel or zip lock baggy.

The slave side is easier to access and comes off the same way. That clip has a stop so it just needs to be raised, not fully removed.

To install the new line, just do the reverse and replace the retaining clips. New stainless line installed at both ends:

Once everything is secure, bleed the clutch system. It helps to attached a clear plastic hose to the bleeder screw so you can monitor the air bubbles coming out. And make sure to keep the reservoir topped off at all times.

Just for reference, here is what the stock line looks like. Its actually half rubber hose and half hard line. At the end is a black plastic turbine looking thing -- I left this attached to the car side -- hopefully that is correct! The KMD part did not include this and was just long enough to reach it so I figured it needed to stay and be part of the system.

And this is the KMD Tuning part:

Impressions:

It does make a difference, although not a drastic one. The pedal feel is still light and soft, but it does seem the engagement window has been focused. In driving around I feel like my starts in 1st from a standstill are easier and don't require slipping the clutch to get a smooth start. :eek:

Hopefully this helps anyone interested in doing the same mod as it seems there is little documentation on it out there for MK7's.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Have you had any issues since installing? My tech said he wouldn't feel comfortable installing this line. That said he is gonna try and if he doesn't trust it, he will put the stock one back in for me.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Have you had any issues since installing? My tech said he wouldn't feel comfortable installing this line. That said he is gonna try and if he doesn't trust it, he will put the stock one back in for me.

Hey zimmie, I saw this in the other thread you started as well. I haven't experienced any issues or anything out of the ordinary that I know of. However... I am not a VW tech, I'm just an enthusiast trying to achieve a better feeling clutch setup.

But it does concern me that your guy said it didn't fit!

One thing I noticed is at the master cylinder end of the OEM line there is a black plastic turbine looking thing with two clips. One connects to the master cylinder, and one connects to the hard line portion of the OEM piece. In ECS's product photo of an OEM line replacement it looks like that black plastic piece is included. I, however, left it connected to the master cylinder and just connected the KMD line to that. I didn't know what it was and figured it might be important, plus it's the only way the KMD line would reach.

See pics below. I attached to where the green arrow is, but you'll see there is also a clip where the red arrow is that fits directly into the master cylinder:

If you or your shop tech knows what the black piece is in the photos above, or if I should have removed it, or if I definitely shouldn't be using the KMD line, I would appreciate any intel so I can switch back to the stock line ASAP if need be.

Interestingly enough, I also downloaded the Erwin docs for my VIN and in the diagrams it doesn't show black piece.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Yea I edited that last post from the actual question to the info I was given.

My guy did contact KMD and said that they may be able to custom make one for a proper length if I contact them, I'll be calling tomorrow to follow up with them and see what they need from me to help. I'm erring on the side of caution and not gonna run the one they sent just to be on the safe side. I'll report back what I get out of them for sure.

Best of luck!

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Hey nicho, just got off the line with KMD they are going to accept my piece back and build me one 2 inches longer. According to my tech and KMD's development team this should eliminate any concerns for MK7 users. Getting the piece in the mail today and hopefully receiving the longer line within the week. Will once again report back my results once installed.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
We still need to find out what that black piece is and whether it should be left in place or removed.

Yeah... I would also like to know what the purpose of the black piece is as well! I think it's supposed to be removed and have the stainless steel line replace the whole thing right up to the firewall. I asked LeGti and that's how he installed his USP line, anyways. Which means I probably did mine incorrectly. Although I haven't been able to find any official documentation on it.

I liked how the KMD line was working for a bit, but the last few days it seems to have changed (engagement point seems lower, everything is very mushy) and I'm nervous it has something to do with that black piece so I'm going to put the OEM line back in this weekend and see if KMD can get me a longer version as well.

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Just an update, I have been chatting via email with KMD tuning and they said the black plastic piece is a clutch accumulator. Basically it sound like another device meant to dampen/soften the clutch action. They also said: "Most people leave it installed. When customers want to remove it we make the line longer when requested."

Removing it would likely result in even more direct clutch engagement than leaving it in, but I think I am going to leave it in for now. I am pretty happy with the way things are feeling and don't know that removing that last piece is worth redoing the install at this time (to me). Plus with the low end torque of this car and the large 1-2 shift gap, I don't mind having a *little* bit of drivetrain cushion.

Anyways, just thought those considering it should know it's fine to leave the clutch accumulator in, but if you really want the most direct unrestricted setup possible, then probably best to bypass it.

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
Seems like a real waste to leave the accumulator in since much of the stock line is a hard line anyway. Going to a stainless line won't change all that much.

Was the revised KMD line long enough to install after removing the accumulator?

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Seems like a real waste to leave the accumulator in since much of the stock line is a hard line anyway. Going to a stainless line won't change all that much.

I never took the accumulator out so I'm not sure how much it actually does. KMD seemed to think it was normal/fine to leave it in, and they send you the short one by default anyways. If I had known about all this from the start I probably would have ordered the longer version but for now I am happy with it as is. And the steel line definitely does make a difference even with leaving the accumulator part in.

Universal_Remonster

Ready to race!
I never took the accumulator out so I'm not sure how much it actually does. KMD seemed to think it was normal/fine to leave it in, and they send you the short one by default anyways. If I had known about all this from the start I probably would have ordered the longer version but for now I am happy with it as is. And the steel line definitely does make a difference even with leaving the accumulator part in.
Sorry, I thought that you had gotten the longer line like myself and zimmie.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
Longer version being installed tomorrow. Will report back for you guys and hopefully remember to take some pics along the way.